Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've had an LCP II for a couple of years and recently upgraded with a MCARBO light trigger spring set. Included in this kit is a lighter hammer and firing pin spring. All now fitted and the trigger pull is indeed smoother and lighter.
Now here's the rub....I am about to replace the original recoil springs with a heavier inner and outer. ( 13lbs)
This matched set from Wolff includes a heavier firing pin spring as well. Of course with my now lighter hammer spring I can't imagine chaging the new lighter firing pin spring for a heavier one. So the question is.....do I just ditch the new Wolff firing pin spring and will my lighter trigger spring kit be compatible with the heavier recoil spring set?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,
I've had an LCP II for a couple of years and recently upgraded with a MCARBO light trigger spring set. Included in this kit is a lighter hammer and firing pin spring. All now fitted and the trigger pull is indeed smoother and lighter.
Now here's the rub....I am about to replace the original recoil springs with a heavier inner and outer. ( 13lbs)
This matched set from Wolff includes a heavier firing pin spring as well. Of course with my now lighter hammer spring I can't imagine chaging the new lighter firing pin spring for a heavier one. So the question is.....do I just ditch the new Wolff firing pin spring and will my lighter trigger spring kit be compatible with the heavier recoil spring set?
The best answer to your question is to just go to the range and fire the gun with the lighter springs. If you get a good primer strike with the lighter firing pin spring you are good to go that way. Next change the recoil spring and if the gun runs ok with the heavier recoil spring you are good to go with the heavier recoil spring. Hang onto the extra springs from Wolff as spares if you ever need an extra one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best answer to your question is to just go to the range and fire the gun with the lighter springs. If you get a good primer strike with the lighter firing pin spring you are good to go that way. Next change the recoil spring and if the gun runs ok with the heavier recoil spring you are good to go with the heavier recoil spring. Hang onto the extra springs from Wolff as spares if you ever need an extra one.
Much appreciated. In fact that's exactly what I plan to do. Going to fire off a couple of hundred rounds on Thursday as you suggest and I'll let you know what transpires. Certainly didn't make sense to put a heavier firing pin spring in with a lighter hammer spring as the two are interrelated. Anyway, I'll see what effect the heavier recoil springs have on that combination.
Handsome pic by the way. ( I know a good dentist!)

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I wouldn't use the heavy firing pin return spring from Wolfe. That would be asking for light primer strikes.
This must be a range gun you are talking about as I don't understand the logic of having a cocked single action pistol in my pocket with a possible 1.75 to 2 pound trigger and no safety. Den

Reactions: LMB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Den,
Appreciate the input. Yes, using the heavier FP spring doesn't make sense to me either. It is indeed for the range. I'm seventy four and despite having retained a few of my marbles, the big ends are starting to go. With the onset of arthritis and diminishing strength I relish the thought of popping off a couple of hundred rounds as often as possible with the least amount of effort and recoil.
It is very much a hobby and I've been reloading for several years and have no intention of blowing off any of my bits.
Thanks again, and I'll post my experiences shortly.
Rick

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Hi Den,
Appreciate the input. Yes, using the heavier FP spring doesn't make sense to me either. It is indeed for the range. I'm seventy four and despite having retained a few of my marbles, the big ends are starting to go. With the onset of arthritis and diminishing strength I relish the thought of popping off a couple of hundred rounds as often as possible with the least amount of effort and recoil.
It is very much a hobby and I've been reloading for several years and have no intention of blowing off any of my bits.
Thanks again, and I'll post my experiences shortly.
Rick
Understood. Just an idea, if you are reloading a lighter charge may be something to try. Then you could keep the stock recoil spring. Its a bit harder to rack the slide with a 13lb spring. Also your powder choice is important to keep the felt recoil low.
For example Power Pistol powder loaded for lets say 850fps will kick like a mule as compared to Tightgroup or WSF loaded to 850fps. I use Tightgroup for competition in 9mm an my muzzle rise and recoil are minimal. Denny

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 13 lbs recoil spring is a deal heavier to rack, but since I only need to rack once at the beginning of the session that's no problem. As for powders, spares and accessories we are at a great disadvantage.
For my LCP II I use our local Somchem S 121, which has more or less the same burn rate as Bullseye and for my son's two Glocks we use S 221, which is closer to CFE Pistol. For the range we use 100 gr and 124 gr FMJRNs respectively.
Our local powder manufacturer, Rheinmettal Somchem, had a large explosion in 2018, which wiped out a whole shift of eight employees, consequently powder has been unavailable, although there are promises of new supplies in March of this year.
I recently managed to buy two pounds of CFE Pistol as back-up, but haven't tried it yet as I still have stocks of what I'm familiar with and I have to tell you that the imported stuff is over four times the price of the local, so I'm reluctant to change.
As for spares etc, I contacted my Ruger agent a few months ago as I was looking to buy a spare takedown pin and was told that they could order it, but it would be a wait of around six months and price unknown????? A friend sent me the spare pin and springs from the Boston area although that apparently was not quite kosher.
Anyway, I digress and if you get really bored I can write you a short history of gun ownership in south Africa. Consider yourselves lucky!
All of the best
Rick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I myself carry a ruger, as a matter of fact it was the first pistol I bought. Even though I was interested in upgrading the gun, I never did. I liked it the way it came from the factory. All I did to it were a few cosmetic changes so that my gun would look nicer when I visited the range. The changes you mentioned are compatible but are quite unnecessary in my opinion. Plus I read on this ruger lcp review that making the changes you want to would seriously affect the gun's recoil.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Try this place for spare parts, I have used them for years. Den

1 - 9 of 9 Posts