Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to disassemble and reassemble my LCP 2 which gave me insight to the inner workings of the gun.

Question: If the hammer catch spring (the spring putting tension on the sear) were to break, would the sear be able to catch the hammer still? If the sear were loose with no spring tension, would the hammer catch mechanism still work? If the hammer catch spring broke and the sear became loose, would the hammer drop?

I appreciate all answers.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Welcome to the forum FNcyborg! That's a tough question to answer. If I had one on my workbench the answer would be easier. Most likely it would shoot just one round but a full auto lcp would also be interesting! Denny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just a little uneasy about carrying this gun. I'm trying to understand it more so I can trust it being safe if the trigger is not pulled.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Interesting question. Never heard of that particular problem occurring. I would need to open my gun and have a look.
I will say that I have more than 1000 rnds through mine with no issues.
You might call Ruger tech support and ask. If you do, please let us know the response.
Is that the hammer catch or the sear?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hammer catch is part of the sear. The hammer catch is a notch on the sear that catches the hammer if it falls out of full-cock. That's why I'm wondering...if the sear were to fail altogether, would the hammer catch function fail too? There is one spring putting tension on the sear. If that spring were to break, I'm wondering if a loose sear/hammer catch could still catch the hammer.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Interesting question. I am not a gun smith but I would guess many other handgun designs depend on a single spring to ensure safety.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Orlando Florida.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I'm just a little uneasy about carrying this gun. I'm trying to understand it more so I can trust it being safe if the trigger is not pulled.
I would ditch the II and buy a Glock. The LCP II is like carrying a 1911 cocked and unlocked. A glock has a drop safety, firing pin safety, and a well designed trigger safety. Drop a Glock and it won't go off. I'm not sure if the LCP II has any sort of drop safety, please correct me if i'm wrong. Den

https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

1 - 8 of 8 Posts