Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never had the opportunity to shoot a 380. How would it compare to 22LR or 9mm? I’m trying to decide if I should get my wife the LCP II in 22 LR or the newer Max in 380? With her arthritis in her hands, the 22 would make more sense. Its for plinking at an indoor range. However I like the front sight on the Max, the LCP II version in 22LR has a terrible front sight.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
See my paint job thread posted here recently, you can use white out pens to achieve the same effect, I really like the sights painted, even better than the LCP max sights. Maybe get a laser too, they are a hoot, love those things.

380 is about 2/3 the recoil of an average 9mm (200 ft lbs vs 300).
22 is about 130 ft lbs, so about 2/3 of a 380.

That remarkably even stepping may be one of the many reasons 380's are so popular.

If she wants small and cute, and easy to shoot, the LCP ii 22 is hard to beat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great details, thanks! She wants something easy not necessarily cute. I started her 40 years ago with my 357! Her arthritis eliminates that option now…
Have a great day!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great details, thanks! She wants something easy not necessarily cute. I started her 40 years ago with my 357! Her arthritis eliminates that option now…
Have a great day!

My wife also had problems with racking & recoil.
She has finally found what I feel is the softest shooting .380 I have ever tried.
The Glock 42.

Find one & let her fondle it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
With arthritis of the hand, shooting a 380 LCP II is extremely uncomfortable and I am able to shoot about 20 rounds during my monthly range visit. I pocket carry the 380 LCP when the clothes I'm wearing will not conceal the Shield.

My 9mm Shield is way easier on my hands and I can shoot 100 rounds through it at the range. I carry the Shield as my primary weapon. But it still gets uncomfortable to shoot after 50 - 80 rounds.

I can shoot 22 LR all day without discomfort. I have several 22 pistols that I take to the range and shoot 200 - 300 rounds per visit comfortably.

I'm thinking about selling the 380 LCP II and buying a 22 LCP or a Beretta Bobcat 22 LR. If 32 ACP ammo was easier to find, I'd buy a Beretta 32 ACP Tomcat. The Berettas are available in stainless steel which is ideal for pocket carry - no corrosion. My Gen 1 LCP started showing rust spots after pocket carrying occasionally for about 5 years.

And for the 22 carry naysayers, having a 22 is better than no pistol. With a 22 pistol, I can hit targets more accurately with first and subsequent rounds. 22 LR accounts for more firearm death than any other caliber. Shot placement outweighs caliber and magazine capacity. The average civilian gunfight expends 3 to 4 rounds and is at a distance less than 15 feet.
And being able to practice more with easier shooting, easier on the hands, smaller caliber leads to becoming more proficient. A LE officer needs more firepower than a civilian and can become involved in gunfights at greater distance than a civilian.

And when I get really old and decrepit, to the point when I am unable to rack a slide on a larger pistol, a 22 LR pistol will better than nothing. Especially the Berettas with their tip up barrel that require no slide racking.

The only downside to the 22 LR is reliability. I probably will not start carrying a 22 pistol until I've shot 500 plus rounds through a 22 pistol without issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought both the Beretta 21a bobcat and the 3032 tomcat. Both have a heavy pull so if you have bad arthritis, you may want to rethink it. They are nice little guns though. And yeah, 32 acp is a bitch to find and expensive. Of the two, I like the tomcat a little better.

I also got a Bersa Thunder 380 and really like the trigger both for DA and SA. It's a firm pull for the DA but very smooth and comfortable. Very nice for the subsequent SA shots. Very good buy in my opinion.

All three reflect my concern about the 380 LCP II reliability.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
With arthritis of the hand, shooting a 380 LCP II is extremely uncomfortable and I am able to shoot about 20 rounds during my monthly range visit. I pocket carry the 380 LCP when the clothes I'm wearing will not conceal the Shield.

My 9mm Shield is way easier on my hands and I can shoot 100 rounds through it at the range. I carry the Shield as my primary weapon. But it still gets uncomfortable to shoot after 50 - 80 rounds.

I can shoot 22 LR all day without discomfort. I have several 22 pistols that I take to the range and shoot 200 - 300 rounds per visit comfortably.

I'm thinking about selling the 380 LCP II and buying a 22 LCP or a Beretta Bobcat 22 LR. If 32 ACP ammo was easier to find, I'd buy a Beretta 32 ACP Tomcat. The Berettas are available in stainless steel which is ideal for pocket carry - no corrosion. My Gen 1 LCP started showing rust spots after pocket carrying occasionally for about 5 years.

And for the 22 carry naysayers, having a 22 is better than no pistol. With a 22 pistol, I can hit targets more accurately with first and subsequent rounds. 22 LR accounts for more firearm death than any other caliber. Shot placement outweighs caliber and magazine capacity. The average civilian gunfight expends 3 to 4 rounds and is at a distance less than 15 feet.
And being able to practice more with easier shooting, easier on the hands, smaller caliber leads to becoming more proficient. A LE officer needs more firepower than a civilian and can become involved in gunfights at greater distance than a civilian.

And when I get really old and decrepit, to the point when I am unable to rack a slide on a larger pistol, a 22 LR pistol will better than nothing. Especially the Berettas with their tip up barrel that require no slide racking.

The only downside to the 22 LR is reliability. I probably will not start carrying a 22 pistol until I've shot 500 plus rounds through a 22 pistol without issues.
Shot placement trumps everything,(IMHO). A bad hit with a 9mm or .45 is still a bad hit. A solid hit with a .380 or .22lr is much better.

·
Registered
625 Posts

Your reasoning, especially due to having issues with arthritis is indeed understandable. And I also agree with your statement concerning "some" reliability questions concerning some .22 semi-auto pistols, like the poor choice involved with a Jennings pot metal affair, and "some" .22 rimfire ammunition.
The ONLY .22 rimfire ammunition that I have tons of experience with is CCI Mini-Mags, heck, even Ruger uses that brand and type to test Ruger Mark pistols before they send back pistols being returned to them for specific issues.
You bring up another excellent point. The close interaction of MOST encounters with bad actors. That's where a 9 mm Luger round, or other larger calibers will stop the threat much better with fewer well placed rounds. And, then again, how often are "encounters of the worst kind" going to actually happen?
I tested the Makarov .380 type rounds several years ago when I could get those Makarov pistols rather cheaply and that round is in between the 9mm Luger and the .380 Kurz, or short, and that Makarov round was not very convincing for my use, but no doubt due more to the ammunition involved at that time, so the shortest of them all, the .380 ACP just does not fit my agenda. I much prefer this one, in a hip holster with quick access, if events were ever to get to the point of an up-close need:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts