Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering why I couldn't get past the first round successfully. The friggin' extractor is gone!!

How does an extractor just disappear?

On the way back to Ruger...

Is it easy to just drop in another extractor and pin it? Is that all that holds the extractor in is that slide pin behind it? (Pin is gone too).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
436 Posts
How does an extractor just disappear? VERY good question! Too bad...when did you notice the missing pin, extractor etc. gone? At range after shooting or cleaning before shooting?
*How has this LCP II 380 functioned for you until Aliens took the extractor?
*You did the correct thing IMHO by sending it to Ruger. That gives them a chance to review, document the firearm and resolve any issues. I am curious on what they come up with and what steps they take to correct any issues. Ruger is very good at making things correct. I have a SR22 that I love and after thousands of rounds I now have a walking roll pin. Going to address this issue with Ruger to see what I can do.
*Update us when you get any information and good luck. Hope you get your issue resolved quickly.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
276 Posts
How does an extractor just disappear? VERY good question! Too bad...when did you notice the missing pin, extractor etc. gone? At range after shooting or cleaning before shooting?
*How has this LCP II 380 functioned for you until Aliens took the extractor?
*You did the correct thing IMHO by sending it to Ruger. That gives them a chance to review, document the firearm and resolve any issues. I am curious on what they come up with and what steps they take to correct any issues. Ruger is very good at making things correct. I have a SR22 that I love and after thousands of rounds I now have a walking roll pin. Going to address this issue with Ruger to see what I can do.
*Update us when you get any information and good luck. Hope you get your issue resolved quickly.
Seems many manufacturers are reverting to "spring roll pins" and "coiled roll pins", with the idea of maintaining parts in place. I've seen many solid, straight pins walk out of place on Ruger adjustable sights and have used the "coiled roll" pins as a substitute remedy, and those have been working out quite well.
Sorta sad to read that now those style pins are not coming through as a solution. Will be interesting to see how Ruger handles this dilemma.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Due to the 45 minute drive to a FedEx center and the problem being so obviously a missing extractor, plunger and spring, I opted to have them send me the new parts. It was running fine before this range visit. When I went to clean the gun after the range visit in readying for return to Ruger, i noticed the missing parts. It sure explains why no ammo type or magazine had any influence on getting off only a single shot, period. The gun is so black that I never noticed the missing extractor parts when at the range.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
944 Posts
First I've heard of that issue. Yes , it is very easy do install another extractor, pin and spring. Search You Tube for a video if you are no familiar with it.
My guess would be a build up of dirt, or broken spring caused the issue. Clean and replace and if it happens again , cal Ruger.
If you order the parts, I would suggest that you order an extra set. A chipped extractor is a fairly common issue.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
There is no pin holding the extractor on an LCP. The force of the plunger via spring keeps the extractor in place. The hole in the slide is a assembly/disassembly aid. You would use a punch, pin, or nail in the hole to hold the plunger back while installing or removing the extractor. I would perform the task in a area that you can find small parts when they fly. Sometimes work is performed in a gallon size baggie. Den

·
Registered
944 Posts
I like to use the plastic that a dry cleaner uses to protect finished clothing. It's very clear and large enough to create a comfortable work area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My parts show up tomorrow. I believe the assembly sequence is spring, plunger and snap in the extractor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Parts came. I installed them but I dont think the extractor seated flat enough in the slide channel. Went to the range. Ran 50 CCI Blazer 380 FMJ's through it without a hitch.

Tried a few more today. About 8 shots in, I got a fail to extract that wedged the action. Looked over the gun and, lo and behold, the extractor, plunger and spring again had launched into the universe.

This time I at least knew what to look for and as luck would have it, i found all three parts. The extractor was near the brass on the floor behind me. The plunger and spring were on the range floor beyond the stand. Got the range officer to recover those for me. A close examination of the parts revealed no damage to the parts that I can see.

The range officer said he knew of a couple folks that were having the identical problem with their 380 LCP II's.

I'm suspecting I have some kind of tolerancing issue among the slide extractor channel (specifically the blind hole where the extractor round peg fits), the extractor and the plunger. I'm betting it's the depth or placement of the round hole in the slide that faces up and out toward the side of the channel, but I guess it could be some interference between the plunger and the extractor. See attached photo....does your extractor as installed look like this one? Specifically, the space in the channel behind (left) of the extractor part. I have pulled up a few hi res photos on the web and I guess mine looks like most of those. Other guns seem to have no space at all behind the extractor.

If it wasn't for the other local occurrences of the same thing, I'd probably reassemble and try again. I'm not inclined to drill a slide that's under warranty, so I suspect this is heading to Customer Service Land.
===============================================
Well, I did reassemble and tried again. This time, it was hanging up on CCI BLAZER Brass occasionally, which was the easy runner before. Oddly, it ran Federal Hydra-shok low recoil which made it choke after each round previous. I actually had a couple mags of it run with only 1 or 2 hitches.

I really didn't want to send the gun back but I dont know what else to do.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Mine looks the same as yours. Never had the issue that you had.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Are the Gen 2 LCPs having extractor problems also or is it just the IIs?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying to get Ruger to do a Fedex pick up as my closest center is a 2 hr round trip.

I just have to get that gun where I can rely on it without ammo fussiness, flying extractors and FTE's.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You must live in the sticks! We have little copy/shipping centers all over town. I doesn't have to be some special Fedex Center. Any small place that handles Fedex will ship it for you and after repair you just sign for it at the house. Den

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
My local FedEx shipper doesn't ship guns . Fed Ex told me I had to go to a "center" , also about 1 1/2 hr. round trip. Last time I tried locally, I went there with a boxed up LCP with a Ruger supplied label. When they asked what was in the package I told them the truth and they told me they don't ship firearms. I talked them into it so I got the feeling it may have been their own rule. The best I could get out of FedEX was "take it to a center." Ruger will send a pick up at your house and ship it back to your house if you ask. Or ship it through a FFL but then it gets returned to FFL and unless he knows you, he may charge for it.

Reactions: Denny4kids

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My repaired LCP II showed up today after a 10 day turnaround. Extractor "repair" resulted in a new barrel, new slide and new takedown pin. Today, I shot 50 rounds of Federal FM and 4 rounds of Lehigh Defense Xtreme Defense fluted copper rounds all without a hitch. The LD's were the center mass shots. This barrel/side combo is drifting me a little left. The old parts drifted me a bit right. Ran exactly how I'd hoped. Yay, Ruger CS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering why I couldn't get past the first round successfully. The friggin' extractor is gone!!

How does an extractor just disappear?

On the way back to Ruger...

Is it easy to just drop in another extractor and pin it? Is that all that holds the extractor in is that slide pin behind it? (Pin is gone too).

Adding my issue to this thread (hope thats OK).

Same issue.

303 rounds fired through this, and the last 15 or so we were having ejection issues.

The ejector , spring, pin etc -- all GONE "somewhere".

Glad to have seen this thread as I was gonna try just getting the parts myself. Looks like it would be best to send it to Ruger. Thanks for the info.

Sad to see this issue. It's actually my wife's pistol and she doesnt carry ...just at the range. No abuse. Etc.

All the jamming has freaked her out some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had my Lcp II 380 for a couple of weeks. Went to the gun range and shot maybe 30 rounds through it and wouldn't eject casing. Got home and realized the ejector was completely gone, I guess it fell out at the range. Very disappoint in Ruger, I always like there guns put one time out and the ejector gone.
Sounds like I am not the only one. Not very happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had my Lcp II 380 for a couple of weeks. Went to the gun range and shot maybe 30 rounds through it and wouldn't eject casing. Got home and realized the ejector was completely gone, I guess it fell out at the range. Very disappoint in Ruger, I always like there guns put one time out and the ejector gone.
Sounds like I am not the only one. Not very happy.
Same here.....

I could see a problem years down the road...but brand new?

I sent my wife's back to Ruger and it is due back today. They offered to send the parts but after reading what happened to the OP, I figured sending it in was best.

HOPING they did more than just put a new extractor on.....so it can happen again.

Will repost once it arrives and update.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts