Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a weird failure with my 2 month old LCP. In the middle of a string of shots it suddenly failed to extract. I had to use my wooden dowel to punch the case out. Upon inspection I discovered an empty hole where the extractor should be. It appears that somehow the extractor, plunger and spring went flying. I was shooting a mixed bag of brass and steel case ammo (using up partial boxes). Never seen anything like it.

Ruger is sending me replacement parts for free. Demonstrating they are a great company once again.

My questions is, has anyone had this experience before?

I am uncomfortable using this for its intended purpose of a BUG gun if I can't count on it. I have about 200 rounds through it and it shoots great, silly accurate for its size.

Joe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like bad ammo. Did you find a split case? Pressure sent back into the pistol. I certainly would not blame the gun at this point. I do not shoot the LCP's any longer, moved on to other pocket guns, but the many I have owned were reliable shooters. They fall apart down the road but good for at least 1500 rds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a weird failure with my 2 month old LCP. In the middle of a string of shots it suddenly failed to extract. I had to use my wooden dowel to punch the case out. Upon inspection I discovered an empty hole where the extractor should be. It appears that somehow the extractor, plunger and spring went flying. I was shooting a mixed bag of brass and steel case ammo (using up partial boxes). Never seen anything like it.

Ruger is sending me replacement parts for free. Demonstrating they are a great company once again.

I am uncomfortable using this for its intended purpose of a BUG gun if I can't count on it. I have about 200 rounds through it and it shoots great, silly accurate for its size.

Joe
I just experienced the same issue, except I have had malfunctions for an entire year. 2 Nights ago I was shooting Sig Sauer and Sellier and Ballot ammo. The Sellier and Ballot blew the extractor clean off. I didn't notice until after I got home because it was dark out but it explains why my LCP was not ejecting cases. I have had failures to eject all year, but I finally blew the extractor off. I contacted LCP and hopefully they can fix this. I feel as if I got a defective LCP and should've done something about this a while ago. Before the extractor blew off, American Eagle was the only brand that worked reliably.

·
Registered
664 Posts
just curious.
Were these guns built in Mayoden or Prescott?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Interesting failure. 500+ rounds through my LCPII so far and no problems. I think Ruger CS will make it right.

rpott: how can you tell where an LCPII was made? Is there a marking somewhere on the gun?

Reactions: Black Rifle Reviews

·
Registered
664 Posts
rpott: how can you tell where an LCPII was made? Is there a marking somewhere on the gun?
On LCPII small print on left side of frame.
I was referring to the LCP's though., On LCP it's the right side of slide.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gas-ruptures, as described above, sometimes called “KBs” It’s pretty rare, but these modern pistols are designed, as noted above, to protect the shooter when it happens. Blowing out the extractor and magazines are by design. The OP said he was using a mixed bag of ammo. The real question, what was in that mixed bag.

Most can be quickly fixed and return to service, as mine was.

·
Registered
219 Posts
On LCPII small print on left side of frame.
I was referring to the LCP's though., On LCP it's the right side of slide.
I looked. The slide on the right side of my LCPII is stamped/engraved "Prescott, AZ." Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Been on a few forum sites that I am a member of. Seems that no one is discussing the big fat elephant in the room. I am glad that people are buying goodies for their firearms but you all know that ammo IS NOT coming back, right ?!?!? A clever way of gun control. They will not come for your guns as they have all but stopped the ammo supply chains. Sure some leftovers and old backstock are spottily showing up here and there but ammo is gone. And it wont be back. Trust me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Been on a few forum sites that I am a member of. Seems that no one is discussing the big fat elephant in the room. I am glad that people are buying goodies for their firearms but you all know that ammo IS NOT coming back, right ?!?!? A clever way of gun control. They will not come for your guns as they have all but stopped the ammo supply chains. Sure some leftovers and old backstock are spottily showing up here and there but ammo is gone. And it wont be back. Trust me.
We grossly under estimated them. No matter how you cut it they won. There is virtually no ammo and it will not be coming back for many years if at all. At least not at a reasonable cost. This sport is basically a walking dead man. I already see more firearm available for sale. Why? Lol, there is no ammo to shoot them. No matter how big your stash at present, it will run out. Ammo manufacturers reporting they have millions of dollars in back logs and say there will be no let up for a year. Say it takes 3 years for some sort of catch up, then you head into the next election once again. BLM has already sent a letter to Biden telling him they put him in office, want a meeting to discuss "Their Expectations". Defunding the police for one. BLM and Antifa have already learned they can loot and destroy at will with very little repercussion. It will get worse. The only hope would be for all ammo manufacturers to invest heavily in more production. (which they should have done years ago.) However I do not think that is going to happen. They are enjoying the high price sales that are going in. Making 5 times the profit on one box of ammo.

·
Registered
762 Posts
We grossly under estimated them. No matter how you cut it they won. There is virtually no ammo and it will not be coming back for many years if at all.
You paint a rather "gloomy" picture. Centerfire handgun ammunition is out there, you just gotta be lucky enough to be there when it goes on display:

·
Registered
478 Posts
We grossly under estimated them. No matter how you cut it they won. There is virtually no ammo and it will not be coming back for many years if at all. At least not at a reasonable cost. This sport is basically a walking dead man. I already see more firearm available for sale. Why? Lol, there is no ammo to shoot them. No matter how big your stash at present, it will run out. Ammo manufacturers reporting they have millions of dollars in back logs and say there will be no let up for a year. Say it takes 3 years for some sort of catch up, then you head into the next election once again. BLM has already sent a letter to Biden telling him they put him in office, want a meeting to discuss "Their Expectations". Defunding the police for one. BLM and Antifa have already learned they can loot and destroy at will with very little repercussion. It will get worse. The only hope would be for all ammo manufacturers to invest heavily in more production. (which they should have done years ago.) However I do not think that is going to happen. They are enjoying the high price sales that are going in. Making 5 times the profit on one box of ammo.
We are in a different world now. America is under attack from abroad and from internal groups pushing for power. Free Americans are at a cross road.
*Anything related to the shootings sports is really taking a hit.
The fight for our Constitution is going to be rough road. I hope and pray that I am wrong.
*As far as ammo goes it is getting really dry around here but we do have occasional inventory with a limit. I t has been bad this week but today several LGS's have shelved .9mm and some 22LR. It will not last long. We will see what tomorrow brings.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Disappearing ext r actor is a common LCPII problem. Send back to Ruger for new barrel and slide. Dont accept extractor parts....waste of time as it immediately fails again.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Interesting failure. 500+ rounds through my LCPII so far and no problems. I think Ruger CS will make it right.

500 Rounds of .22 LR FIRED not one malfunction my LCP II .22LR preformed flawlessly.

Reactions: wsitgm

·
Registered
LCP 2
13 Posts

Joe
I had the extractor go south a few days ago. The gun only had about 100 rounds through it. I had no idea what was going on while at the range. When I got home I googled it and realized the extractor and spring were gone. I called Ruger and the gun is on its way to them right now. My concern is carrying this gun for self defense. Can I really trust it? I bought it because I wanted something smaller than my Shield. But now I'm just not sure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ruger owes you a new slide and barrel when that starts happening. Don't accept a simple extractor replacement. If you do, you'll be right back where you started 50 rounds after getting it back. They might even push just sending you parts. Don't do it. Gun should go back if you have the disappearing extractor disease.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
LCP 2
13 Posts
Ruger owes you a new slide and barrel when that starts happening. Don't accept a simple extractor replacement. If you do, you'll be right back where you started 50 rounds after getting it back. They might even push just sending you parts. Don't do it. Gun should go back if you have the disappearing extractor disease.

They didnt even try to send me the parts. The woman just gave me the shipping options to send it to Ruger. I wouldnt have gone for that anyway. It will be in their hands tomorrow. We'll see what the fix will be. It better be a new upper. Even with that I'm not so sure it won't happen again.

·
Registered
762 Posts
How did this all work out? By now, you should have you pistol back and shooting it. Hope it works better than before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts