Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this and was surprised to find no answers:

I would very much like to find a heavier duty barrel for my gen 1 LCP that would be safe to shoot +P rounds thru. I know there are many on this forum who hate the idea of any mods at all, but I'd prefer you don't flame me. I'm seriously interested and can't find anything on google. Even with standard loads, the paper thin metal at the "wasp waist" makes me a bit concerned.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Your best bet is the Beretta Pico. It is advertised to handle "+P" rounds and I know someone who feeds his a steady diet of it without issue.

Reactions: louchia

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
I would very much like to find a heavier duty barrel for my gen 1 LCP that would be safe to shoot +P rounds thru. I know there are many on this forum who hate the idea of any mods at all, but I'd prefer you don't flame me. I'm seriously interested and can't find anything on google. Even with standard loads, the paper thin metal at the "wasp waist" makes me a bit concerned.
I am not the least bit surprised that you have not found an aftermarket barrel for the LCP. The minimum inner diameter is defined by the bullet and cartridge diameter. The maximum outer diameter is defined by various dimensions of the slide and frame. Thus, there would be no way that an aftermarket barrel could be made with a substantially thicker wall.

It would also be very impractical to make a barrel for a smaller caliber such as .32 Auto because of things like the extractor and the ejector which are designed around the .380 cartridge base dimensions.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Your best bet is the Beretta Pico. It is advertised to handle "+P" rounds and I know someone who feeds his a steady diet of it without issue.
I agree. Buy a gun that is designed to shoot the +P. Better yet, look at the NANO. It's a 9mm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't think there is an actual SAAMI standard for .380+P, so I'm not surprised there are no aftermarket barrels. I am slightly surprised that manufacturers are saying it is OK to use +P. Without a standard, +P would be anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
I don't think there is an actual SAAMI standard for .380+P, so I'm not surprised there are no aftermarket barrels. I am slightly surprised that manufacturers are saying it is OK to use +P. Without a standard, +P would be anything.
+1 Toytraindoc

·
Registered
12 Posts

SAAMI standards for +P loads only exist for 45 ACp, 9mm, 38 spec, and 38 super. Some manufacturers (buffalo bore) list +P loads for 32 ACP and .380 auto, but these are there own creation with no SAMMI standards. The ability of a gun to withstand higher than standard pressure depends on much more than barrel wall thickness. In general, strength of the frame and locking features are as or more important. In the case of blowback pistols, which includes all 22's, 32's and many .380's (but not the LCP), proper functioning relies on a load consistent with the strength of the mainspring and the mass of the slide. Hotter than standard loads in blowback pistols often results in a cracked frame.

·
Registered
30 Posts

As far as I can see 9x17 Browning has no +P designation under SAAMI. Manufacturers may have released rounds that they call 380 ACP +P or 9x17 +P. Wesson Oil used to say that using their oils gave your friend chicken a kind of "Wessonality" too. I'm not being smart assed, just saying that people sometimes make stuff up.

Here are more recent SAAMI specs.

http://www.saami.org/specifications...ations/download/Z299-3_ANSI-SAAMI_CFPandR.pdf

The 380 CUP values are similar to that of a 38 special. If we were to indulge for a moment, use the 38 special +P pressures in a 380 then we are talking about 118 percent over pressure. You're in the proof load territory. The pistol may take that for a few strings but not as a steady diet. Something is going to break.

Barrel material and the timing of the link under the barrel will determine the maximum pressure and "safe opening" point for the barrel link combination. Open your LCP and look at the barrel. You'll see a path for the retaining pin to take while the barrel is moving backwards. You want to change the timing by changing that shape. Best to make your own barrel.

I would be concerned with the affect of the slide reaching the end of its travel. Sufficiently heavy impulse will cause damage. I don't know if any of you have ever taken a Kel-Tec or Ruger LCP apart. They're held together by plastic surrounding a metal base. The base is retained by two plastic pins that keep the metal base retained into the plastic. If you stay within the white lines you'll be fine.

I would not want that metal base and slide to come sailing out into my face.

·
Registered
30 Posts
SAAMI standards for +P loads only exist for 45 ACp, 9mm, 38 spec, and 38 super. Some manufacturers (buffalo bore) list +P loads for 32 ACP and .380 auto, but these are there own creation with no SAMMI standards. The ability of a gun to withstand higher than standard pressure depends on much more than barrel wall thickness. In general, strength of the frame and locking features are as or more important. In the case of blowback pistols, which includes all 22's, 32's and many .380's (but not the LCP), proper functioning relies on a load consistent with the strength of the mainspring and the mass of the slide. Hotter than standard loads in blowback pistols often results in a cracked frame.
You can also have case head ruptures, failures to extract and will beat the crap out of the pistol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We do sorta have a +P 380 ACP, it's called the 9mm Parabellum. A lot of nice small pistols are made in this caliber. Why not buy one of those? The Ruger LC9 is a fine looking handgun.

If one wants to try 380 ACP in a higher pressure application then I would recommend the Makarov pistols. The CIP standard for the 9x18 Mak is higher than the 380 ACP. These are fine handguns but are not as convenient or concealable as the LCP.

https://www.scribd.com/document/97965205/CIP-Pistol-Revolver-Pressures

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
As long as we are offering .380 +p alternatives, I would submit the 9x18mm Makarov for consideration. My all steel Bulgarian Mak is a real pleasure to shoot and pretty good for carry, as well.

Reactions: GeneCC

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have covered what I thought when reading the first post. Plus P loads would stress the frame and that would be the first consideration, not the barrel. I say this as one who split the barrel on my LCP in about the second month I owned it. I believe a round was stuck in the chamber and it was not the fault of my hand loads being too hot. Ruger rebuilt the gun and I had it back in maybe six weeks. I also own a Keltec P3AT for carry, the gun Ruger copied, and I prefer it slightly over the LCP

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Why do you prefer the Keltec ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
1) There are no alternative barrels for the LCP. No market. You're the first I've ever seen who even wanted one.

B) Pressure isn't only contained by the barrel.

Third: Manufacturers don'r rate guns for +P unless they have tested +P and certified it works and is safe. That doesn't mean a gun can't handle +P, only that it hasn't been certified as safe by the manufacturer.

IV) If you really wanted a small pistol that shoots .380 +P, whatever that spec might mean, you should have bought one. It's like complaining that nobody makes a trailer hitch for your dirt bike that can pull a 32' Sea Ray.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
For some reason Beretta feels confident saying the Pico will handle +P. Certified or not, there are hotter .380 loads out there. Here is the Pico link for anyone interested. Scroll down to the video and play it.

Pico

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
The Keltec P-3AT is rated for so called +P rounds possibly because the barrel and slide are machined from 4140 ordnance steel then heat treated. and the frame is machined from a solid 7075-T6 aluminum extrusion. Keltec machines via CNC and Ruger casts ALL the parts for the LCP. I wouldn't abuse my LCP. Denny

·
Registered
3 Posts
The barrel on the LCP is not the problem when using so called +P .380 ammo, it is the take down pin. The pin is what the barrel pivots on during recoil. To much force and the pin shears off. Haven't found any good replacement for it. Been there, done that.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
The barrel on the LCP is not the problem when using so called +P .380 ammo, it is the take down pin. The pin is what the barrel pivots on during recoil. To much force and the pin shears off. Haven't found any good replacement for it. Been there, done that.
The barrel IS a potential problem if shooting the high-pressure ammunition. I have seen more than one photo of LCP pistols that blew up due to the high pressure. The barrel were reduced to strips of metal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As long as we are offering .380 +p alternatives, I would submit the 9x18mm Makarov for consideration. My all steel Bulgarian Mak is a real pleasure to shoot and pretty good for carry, as well.
The Makarov is one of those under appreciated handguns that everyone should try out. The firearm is a product improved Walther PP.

The Soviets worked hard to simplify its construction and the construction of the ammunition.

They started with the Walther PP and a round called the 9mm Ultra. The 9mm Ultra was intended as a police cartridge. The Soviets encountered the Walther while the Nazis came to visit.

They elected to use the 30 Tokarev as a starting point. The base of the Makarov (and the 5.45 ) is probably drawn from the same cup. The specs for the 9mm Ultra and the Makarov for bullet weight and velocity are identical. I don't know why the Soviets finished with 9.2mm. Maybe so NATO couldn't use them? I am not sure about that part of it.

The handgun was a Walther PP with a 40 percent reduction in part counts. The parts can be replaced easily. Field stripping takes seconds. The firearm can handle the California drop test. I did it myself last year. Worked perfectly.

All of the "fit and finish" on the handgun where it mattered was kept. Where it did not matter? They left it rough cut. The underside of the slide has "swirls" from rough cutting.

The TT-33 sometimes dropped magazines. The Soviets chose a heel magazine release - no more dropped magazines. The round works within reasonable pistol distances. The Soviets adopted it for sub machine gun use. The Stechkin and the Bison. They also deployed a silenced version called the

The firearm is easy to use. Pretty accurate. Over 30 meters the bullet starts to drop fast. Recoil is easy to manage. The double action trigger feels different from anything else I've ever used, it's not bad, but it is different. Single action is fine.

Magazine design is good. The magazine has wide windows to reduce drag on the cartridges. The magazine is easy to load and to maintain.

Cleanup is simple. Some Ed's Red. Remove the grips, field strip. Drop in the bucket. Next day you can scrub, wipe clean and reassemble.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The barrel IS a potential problem if shooting the high-pressure ammunition. I have seen more than one photo of LCP pistols that blew up due to the high pressure. The barrel were reduced to strips of metal.
The LCP was not intended for anything stout. Ruger doesn't suggest it. It's a light weight concealed carry firearm intended for ease of carry. It does that well. I checked the SAAMI specs recently, isn't such a thing as a 380 +P

Ruger makes the LC9 if people want to play with 33,000 PSI rounds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts