Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to carry my new LCP 22lr, as a pocket carry. Given that, what self-defense rounds would you recommend. Right now I have CCI Velocitors loaded, with CCI segmented HP's on order from SG Ammo. Q- does anyone know of any frangible rounds that are available. I feel that ordinary HP's serve no real value and generally don't expand. Youtube videos comparing the CCI Stinger to other rounds do not seem to hold the Stinger in high regard, even thou it is one of the fastest, next to the Aquila Super Max at 1700 fps.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I would avoid frangible and go with CCI solids.

Reactions: rclark28 and wsitgm

·
Registered
436 Posts
Choose the most dependable and reliable round that will cycle your rimfire. Others are more knowing and may be able to provide some feedback. For me as stated above stick with CCI solids. Good luck and keep a open mind on what the LCP II 22LR will be most reliable with.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Too light for an EDC caliber IMHO. However, I know of NO ONE that is willing to be shot with one!! Carry whatever makes you comfortable and what you are proficient with. The important thing is that you are licensed to carry and are exercising your 2A right to defend yourself.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have velocitors and minimag round nose that according to ammo reports I've seen provide FBI levels of penetration. The segmented hollow point are an interesting option but have pretty shallow penetration.

The high speed rounds dont really develop those speeds with short barrels like the lcp2 or sr22. You really need at least a mark iv or a 10/22 rifle to get the best punch out of stingers and velocitors. I still use velocitors in the lcp2 .22lr as they are 40gr and a powerful reliable round.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Choose the most dependable and reliable round that will cycle your rimfire. Others are more knowing and may be able to provide some feedback. For me as stated above stick with CCI solids. Good luck and keep a open mind on what the LCP II 22LR will be most reliable with.
When my wife enrolled in a CCW class locally, I passed her a Walther PPK-S .380. During her class, all she needed to do was exhibit all the proper & safe firearm handling techniques that her instructor wanted to observe. She passed well enough.
When I saw her on our range out back of my shop, I thought, "my, she's doing right well with that .380". As I walked over to where she was shooting, I noticed the pistol in her hand was black rather than stainless steel. Seems she grabbed a Ruger SR22 out of a display case and a hundred round box of Remington Vipers. At 25 yards, Mr. silhouette looked like he was gonna need a bottle of Tylenol to get through the rest of his day:

I know when to just nod my head, and walk away. :eek:

Reactions: rclark28

·
Registered
944 Posts
Check out this video and decide for your self

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I don't know, it still boils down to hitting vitals to make a fast stop and for that you may have to shoot through barriers or shoulders or buttons, zippers, glass, etc. For that in short barrels in 22lr or .380 caliber I want the most penetration possible. Sure, fragmented bullets will kill but how long will it take?

Reactions: louchia

·
Registered
76 Posts
Best Penetrator for .22lr seems to be either CCI velocitors or CCI Minimags round nose. I use the velocitors as the hollow point does not spread much and they achieve the FBI min penetration of 12 inches. Minimags about the same. Both are still available at Walmart as they are rifle cartridges as well.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
CCI Stinger mini mags, Velocitors, and the Segmented HP all have almost 100% failures to feed on my LCP .22, thats with two different mags and a box apiece of that ammo put through the weapon.

·
Registered
76 Posts
CCI Stinger mini mags, Velocitors, and the Segmented HP all have almost 100% failures to feed on my LCP .22, thats with two different mags and a box apiece of that ammo put through the weapon.
I have no issues with any ammo, including cheap stuff, except for stingers. The low grain bullet doesn't seem to be a good match with the gun operation on mine. Shot shell 22's won't even load the next round.

I carry with Velocitors, and Minimag 40gr round nose.

Have not tried SHP as I've heard that, although they make mess out of the first few inches of a ham. They don't penetrate beyond 4 to 5 inches. Perhaps a super bloody surface wound would be a deterrent though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello
If you can forget the LCP. Buy a new or used Smith 351PD or 351C. PD has a hammer & C is hammerless. Both are 7 shot 22 Mag. 1 7/8 barrel. If you don’t want the mag buy the Smith 317, 8 shot 22LR. They still make the 3” Barrel but you can still find the 1 7/8. You will never need to worry about wether or not the ammo will work the action.
Both are super light weight aluminum, even the cylinders with a SS insert for the barrel shroud

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hello
If you can forget the LCP. Buy a new or used Smith 351PD or 351C. PD has a hammer & C is hammerless. Both are 7 shot 22 Mag. 1 7/8 barrel. If you don’t want the mag buy the Smith 317, 8 shot 22LR. They still make the 3” Barrel but you can still find the 1 7/8. You will never need to worry about wether or not the ammo will work the action.
Both are super light weight aluminum, even the cylinders with a SS insert for the barrel shroud

What he said! I wouldn't trust a little.22 auto for self defense.

Tip: Take the grips off those S&W's and tape them up instead and they will be even lighter and more compact. You don't need the grip because the recoil is so negligible. (You can't take the grips off Ruger LCR's).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts