Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a LCP Custom with the bunny ear rear sights and Glock front sight and it is awesome. The LCP 2 looks attractive with slide lock and and the awesome trigger, but why should I give up good sights and be limited to point and shoot?

Has anybody upgraded the sights on an LCP 2?

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
I have a LCP Custom with the bunny ear rear sights and Glock front sight and it is awesome. The LCP 2 looks attractive with slide lock and and the awesome trigger, but why should I give up good sights and be limited to point and shoot?

There is no such thing as an "LCP 2". I presume you are referring to the "LCP II".

Many folks on the forums refer to the second version of the "original" LCP as an "LCP Gen2" even though Ruger does not use any "generation" identification when referring to the original LCP (first or second release). It's important that, if one refers to the LCP II that the Roman numeral be used to differentiate from the so-called "Gen 2" version.

None of the LCP family of pistols should ever be considered a "target" pistol. Their sole purpose in life is as an up-close last-ditch self defense weapon. In fact, the best way to train with these pistols is using a good point-n-shoot technique. For this to work well, the pistol must fit the shooter's hand properly. The following is something I've published several times but it's always good to read:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In my opinion, for the point-n-shoot technique to work well, a fighting pistol MUST properly fit the shooter's hand. If it does not, then another pistol should be used. To test whether or not a particular pistol fits your hand:

• Unload the pistol and move the ammunition to a remote place.
  • Grasp the pistol with your eyes closed.
  • Raise the pistol to a shooting position, still with your eyes closed.
  • Open your eyes and look across the sights. The sights should be very closely aligned.
  • Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 above several times. The sight alignment should be good every time.

If a pistol fits your hand well enough to pass the test above, it will point as naturally as your index finger.

When in a combat situation (or practicing for combat shooting), you should focus on the target and NOT the sights. Bring the pistol into alignment with the target. Without even focusing on the pistol, you should see the top of the slide roughly aligned with your intended impact point. While holding the pistol in this alignment, rapidly fire at least two rounds (a "double-tap").

The above technique is a method that I've used (without defining it) and, later, read about in one of Massad Ayoob's very good books on combat pistol shooting. It works well IF the pistol fits your hand.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
LCP 2 will likely be a good seller.
You mean LCP II? (see the first part of Skip's comment just above)

As long as you want to upgrade the sights, why not tap for scope mounts?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Could be LCP Dos in south Texas.
"dos"--gottcha. I think you mean LCP Gen2. Am unaware of any sight mods commercially available, but someone here may know more. These guns are quite accurate and more than adequate for their combined role of concealment and self-defense. They are not designed for careful aiming at distant targets and most of us cannot tolerate much more than 50 consecutive shots without bulky padding, gloves, etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
Ruger on their drawing board probably has the LCP III and LCP IV on it and upgrading them as time goes on. If they come out with a unique idea they will come out with a special version. I suggest any ideas you get forward them to Ruger so they make note of it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ruger went through a renaissance if sorts a few years ago and showed the market with all sorts of new products. I guess now they're going through a period of refining them and tweaking them .

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts

I don't mean to sound critical here but it is very clear that you have little experience/understanding of up close combat shooting. The LCP is a pocket self defense gun and sights should be avoided at all costs. No bragging here but my personal experience as a SWAT team commander and defensive firearms instructor has sold me on the fact of first shot placement(NOTHING BEATS THAT) and the ability to quickly deliver a shot to the intended target is paramount to anything else. Almost all gun fights are inside 7 yards(police) and even closer for civilians. Your practice with the LCP should be limited to inside 7 yards.......period! LOOK FOR YOUR SIGHTS AND YOU ARE LOOKING TO DIE!!!!!!! Practice point and shoot, especially with a safe and empty weapon until it is second nature. Forget about sights and how the LCP looks! You will be amazed how quick you will perfect the target acquisition and the ability to "look over your sights" Get a target pistol if you want to fire accurate shots at the range. Understand that the LCP fits a very narrow range of use......Close in and personal self defense. There is no second place in a gunfight, he who hits first will almost always take home the prize.

Always remember that how you train is how you will respond when bad things start to happen. In a dire self defense situation, there is no time to look for sights with this pistol, and the only thing that matters is getting that first shot on target.

Just my two cents but I get nuts when I read some of these posts about sights. Please, for your own benefit, educate yourself on self defense handgun training, your life may depend upon it!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
There is no such thing as an "LCP 2". ...

None of the LCP family of pistols should ever be considered a "target" pistol.
Yeah, that was super confusing how he wrote LCP 2. Good thing you corrected him. Also, I'm glad you explained that the LCP II is not a target pistol. It would have been embarrassing he had shown up to the Olympics with his LCP II just because no one like you had set him straight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts