Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new LC9s, and have put about 200rds thru it. Love the new trigger! One problem I have run into though, is that when I use the extended grip floor plate, the magazine releases almost every time I shoot, resulting in FTF.

I've had no problems using the same magazines with the flat floor plate. I can't replicate the mag release problem when I'm not shooting. I shoot LH, if that makes a difference.

I called Ruger customer service, and they sent me a return shipping label to have the pistol shipped to them for service. Here's my question: I don't carry using the ext floor plate, only with the flat floor plate, therefore, should I bother returning the pistol to Ruger for repair?

What do you folks recommend?

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

·
Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
Yes, send it back to them for the repair. If you don't, it might lead into issues with other mags at a later time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What do you folks recommend?
Since they've already sent you the return mailing label I'd send it back.But I'd also be checking to see if the extended floor plate was allowing me or causing me to change my grip so as to possibly allow the recoil to cause my thumb [or whatever] to trip the mag release.

Another problem, although this doesn't seem to be yours, is check the holster you're carrying the gun in. I had to trim some leather on mine cause it was tripping the mag release when I got into certain positions. I trimmed just enough backing leather so the mag release wasn't being pressured by the backing leather and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This subject was discussed on another forum and it was found that the only magazines that were getting prematurely ejected were the USA made mags. The Italian magazines were fine, so it may not be the floor plates causing the problem. Just something to think about. If you send it to Ruger, and I would, don't be surprised if it comes back with the USA mags replaced. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem with the mag dropping on my lc9s. Sent it back to AZ. About a week turn around. They replaced the mag catch the catch spring and the slide catch spring as well. They fired 21 rounds and reported no malfunctions. Also got a nice cleaning cloth free. So far seems that everything works as it should.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as you all recommended, I sent it back to Ruger yesterday. Will give you a complete report when I get it back. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the LC9s back from Ruger last Monday, only 9 days after I shipped it - not a bad turn around. The packing slip indicated:

"Items replaced: magazine latch, magazine latch spring."

"After repair, pistol was functioned fired 28 rounds of Black Hills 115gr FMJ without malfunction."

"Dear Ruger Customer: Please accept this complementary Ruger cleaning cloth as our way of saying thank you for your support of Ruger Firearms. With warm regards, Ruger Customer Service Department"

I haven't taken it to the range yet, but I assume that the magazine release problem has been fixed. I will let you know if I find out otherwise.

Ruger's response and turn over time was great, no complaints. With regards to the "complementary Ruger cleaning cloth", all I can say is: really? My old t-shirts work great; I would rather have a spare magazine for my troubles. Just sayin. If this is a known problem, which it appears to be, fix it before you ship out new pistols, Ruger. Great pistol, and great service, otherwise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the LC9s to the range on Wed, for the first time after getting it back from Ruger - the magazine would still drop prematurely when shooting it, though not as often. I don't really shoot or carry using the pinky extension, so I may just let it go.

I'll give Ruger CS a call tomorrow to let them know, but not going to send it back to them again. When I talk to them, I'm going to suggest that what would be better than a pinky extension, would be a +1 mag extension like the SW Shield has - THAT would be an awesome option, which I think would also alleviate the mag release problem.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
You are shooting a right handed weapon left handed. Isn't your trigger finger covering the mag release when you shoot? Does the mag drop when you shoot with your right hand? Please let us know. Den

·
Registered
208 Posts
Took the LC9s to the range on Wed, for the first time after getting it back from Ruger - the magazine would still drop prematurely when shooting it, though not as often. I don't really shoot or carry using the pinky extension, so I may just let it go.
You mentioned that you shoot left handed. With the extended floor plate methinks you're either covering the magazine latch, or right up against it, with part of your middle finger? Check your grip with and without the extended floor plate. You probably need to make a conscious effort to change your grip slightly. Either that or ask Ruger if they can reverse the mag latch so it protrudes from the right side of the grip.

The extended floor plate doesn't change anything regarding the function of the magazine latch. What it can change is the position of your hand or finger in relation to that magazine latch however slight. Something you're changing, probably completely unconsciously, is the problem. Any part of your hand touching that magazine latch during the firing/recoil process is problematic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are shooting a right handed weapon left handed. Isn't your trigger finger covering the mag release when you shoot? Does the mag drop when you shoot with your right hand? Please let us know. Den
I haven't tried shooting RH, though I was with a friend who shoots R, and she had some release problems initially too. I'll try shooting RH next time to see if I can replicate the problem. That said, I really don't think that my trigger finger is pressing against the mag release button, if this were the cause, then I would think there would be a problem with the mag also releasing prematurely when I shoot LH with the flat floor plate. Dunno.

All I know is that it is releasing less now (1 release / ~5-10 shots), compared to before sending it back to Ruger (1 release / 1-2 shots).

Didn't Ruger have a mag release problem with the initial LCP pinky extension, which they resolved by making the ext plate smaller and less curved? I think so. Maybe this problem is similar.

I'll try shooting RH next time I go to the range, and see if I can replicate the problem. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'll try shooting RH next time I go to the range, and see if I can replicate the problem. I'll let you know what I find out.
It's possible [actually easy] to put pressure on the magazine latch unconsciously. Every part of your hand needs to be clear of the magazine latch when firing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took mine out for the first time a couple weeks ago. Had purchased 3 more mags for the trip. Fired first 3 mags no problems. Got the early release on the last one. Reloaded and it started doing it with all of them. I paid very close attention when it released to look at my hand position, not touching the release.

Over the course of the next 4 mags, I was able to get a couple good runs, but then after swapping mags it would pop loose after 1 to 2 rounds. I know I did not always use the same grip, and seemed the tighter I tried to hold with support hand, the worse it was.

Asked the range master to give it a try in case it was me. He ran 2 salvos of 3 and 4 rounds without it falling out. Granted no conclusive based on number of rounds. I tried it again and each time by 3rd round it would pop loose.

It went back to ruger last monday and got the email Friday it was on its way back. Should see it mid week. When I talked to them, they told me if you see a galling mark that the release claw likely broke. I had 1 mag with a full on gouge and other 3 were light marks in the blue.

Hope its all good, but I am of the mind that though the releases appear to go bad, its possible we (users) are part of the problem or lead to it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OP, I'm no gunsmith and/or firearms instructor. I don't even play one on TV. But this sentence was maybe a hint to the problem:

"I've had no problems using the same magazines with the flat floor plate. I can't replicate the mag release problem when I'm not shooting."

I had your same issue with the mags releasing on my new LC9s, particularly, but not limited to, the USA mag that came with the pistol. My 3 spare Italian mags were less prone to release. (Like you, when I shot with the flat floor plate, or dry fired, no problem.) Finally, I noticed that when firing at the range, I had a tendency to grip and apply pressure the same way I would on a full size handgun. That meant my weak hand ring finger was pressing my strong hand right at or just above the extended floor plate. That, coupled with the pistol recoil, caused the mag to be pushed down and rearward during the firing cycle. The result was an occasional mag "release". At first, I just shot the mags using the flat base, but then made a conscious effort to modify weak hand grip pressure at or around the extended floor plate.

Don't know if that's a solution for you, but the symptoms mirror mine, and I haven't had an unintended "release" lately.

Good luck. Hope you find something that works for you and your LC9s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
At first I had a similar problem with my LC9s, but after consciously adjusting my grip to make sure I can't inadvertently touch the mag release during recoil, I haven't had any trouble. I don't even think about it anymore - I just grip the gun and shoot, and everything is fine.

For me the problem happened only with the pinky extension, because without it my finger curls under the magazine and holds it in place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts