Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Ruger LC9. I have several handguns and just added a new LC9 to my line-up (Actually LC380 with the 9mm slide mod). I don't like the long travel of the trigger and have heard there are (or were) a few trigger upgrade products out there. The 2 that I researched are no longer available. I am particularly interested in the Solomon Short Stroke product but it seems to be obsolete.

Does anyone have a suggestion on something that is currently available?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
My reaction is you spent money on the slide and now you want to spend $'s on trigger mod......why not just have invested in an EC9 or used LC9PRO or LC9s in the first place?

Sorry, I know nothing about trigger mods for the LC380.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate here. Looking for the goldilocks trigger . Not too lite, not too heavy, just right. I honestly wish my LC9S Pro had a heavier trigger, but not as long as the LC9. Can't help you with the trigger job though. Maybe a local gun smith can do it for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ETS, fortunately I did not spend a penny on the 9 upper. In CA only the LC380 is legal unless you mod it with the 9 kit. Then you can record it as a LC9. The dealer threw it in and gave me a screaming deal on the 380 otherwise I would not have bitten. We do not have the option for the other fine firearms you list.

I have always done all my own work on my firearms so I have the capabilities to rework the trigger. I was just looking for some intel before I get in deep. It looks like Galloway offered a shorter hammer replacement at one time. Not sure if they still do though. Their website is somewhat confusing. Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I'll call them and keep digging.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sorry, but since Ruger quit making the internal hammer fired LC9, I don’t think anyone makes trigger mods for it.

I still carry the original LC9, the trigger will smooth out a little after many rounds down range. I wish there was a reverse mod to make the LC9 into a LC380.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
ETS, fortunately I did not spend a penny on the 9 upper. In CA only the LC380 is legal unless you mod it with the 9 kit. Then you can record it as a LC9. The dealer threw it in and gave me a screaming deal on the 380 otherwise I would not have bitten. We do not have the option for the other fine firearms you list.

I have always done all my own work on my firearms so I have the capabilities to rework the trigger. I was just looking for some intel before I get in deep. It looks like Galloway offered a shorter hammer replacement at one time. Not sure if they still do though. Their website is somewhat confusing. Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I'll call them and keep digging.
Thanks for the info.

Good luck in the land of repression......God forbid, hope the rest of us never have to face the same, but you never know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you pennsy, but I am not looking to lighten the pull as much as I am looking to get rid of the hideously long travel on the trigger before it engages the hammer. I do appreciate the link though.

I have sent Galloway Precision an email inquiring about their hammer replacement. The website says it is no longer available though so I have low expectations. My last resort is to modify the hammer that came with the firearm. I'll post their reply when it comes.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful posts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just received a reply from Galloway, exactly what I feared.

Unfortunately, we discontinued our trigger kits almost 2 years ago. We no longer offer parts or modifications to the trigger system of the LC9.
Does anyone have one of these Solomon hammers I could get a picture of to see what was done? Or any information on how they modified it?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I'm afraid ETS might be right in your situation. Even when they were in stock, they were about $100. Maybe best to find a sale on a California approved pistol and trade yours in on it.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum starhubs! It is hard for me to believe the LC380 is the only legal for sale Ruger semi-auto handgun in Ca.
If it were my handgun I would remove the mag. disconnect and perform a fluff and buff on all moving parts. Both will help the trigger. Modifying the hammer may be looking for trouble as it is a soft cast piece from Ruger's "mystery metal". Denny

Here is a link for spare parts if you want to tinker:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ruger/auto-pistols-ruger/lc380

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Naw I'll work it out. Every problem has a solution. I already see where I can improve the hammer to take up a huge portion of the travel. The issue is not that the firearm has design flaws. It appears more that at the time Ruger wanted to offer a carry firearm that would be highly resistant to trigger snag. The far forward trigger with excessive travel was probably by design which means I can probably remedy it. Necessity is the mother of invention. I live in a state that prohibits the sale of most of the firearms the rest of you have access to and would buy over the LC. There aren't a lot of small 9 mm carry options here. I already have a Shield 9 and find that size perfect for carry. The LC will be a perfect second when I get this figured out. Thank you everyone that commented.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry Denny4kids i didn't see your post and was responding to pennsy. I didn't say the LC was the only semi Ruger on the CA roster. It is the only option in that 9mm size class. I will do the fluff and buff but that will not correct the hideous position and travel of the trigger. That will require work to the hammer that I am confident I can do. I always ask to see if others have the formula though before I start grinding. It appears Galloway has done it but is refusing to help. I'll have to start from scratch. I believe I can do it. Thank you for the link.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Sorry Denny4kids i didn't see your post and was responding to pennsy. I didn't say the LC was the only semi Ruger on the CA roster.
I was just mentioning that the LC380 actually is the only Ruger semi-auto on the CA. roster for new gun sales.

You might want to google up some images of the galloway and maybe other modified hammers and see how they changed the parts. Sounds like a fun project. Den

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is hard for me to believe the LC380 is the only legal for sale Ruger semi-auto handgun in Ca.
I see now what you were saying. Sad but true. The CA legislature cannot stop gun sales, so they make them as difficult as possible. We live with it and hope every day that the Supreme Court saves us. The new decision on standard capacity magazines has given us some hope.

I did see the mod to the hammer on a video. It looks like some material was removed left of the pivot pin. I'll be pulling the firearm apart this weekend. i'll post what I find. I am confident I will come up with something. Thank you all for posting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not trying to be a contrary here but I carried and qualified with a revolver back in the olden days before we went to semi auto. I find the longer smooth pull of my old LCP and LC9 to be almost the same as the 6 shooter and allows me to use my muscle memory for final sight adjustment. As long as a trigger is not crunchy I am OK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok I took the firearm apart and made significant improvements to the trigger. I now love the LC9. All the excess travel is gone and the hammer falls much sooner than it did. It is a pleasure to shoot. Here s what I did:

The stroke of the trigger is built into the profile of a boss on the right side of the hammer. This has a very round profile with a sharp release at the bottom. This is where Ruger builds the long travel and delayed release into the hammer. I reduced the radius of the boss in the lower half reducing the stroke and brought the release "ear" inward to force a strike sooner than was designed for. I didn't have to remove that much material to gain the desired results, and I can say the claims from other posters that the hammer is pot metal are simply false. It is hard stainless steel. I used a small diamond grinding bit to remove the material. I took off about 1/16 inch.

The stock trigger is designed to work with the stock hammer so it will not work with this mod. There is no way to take up the waste travel using the stock trigger bar. So, I ordered an adjustable RTK Short Stroke trigger for $30 delivered and installed it after I made the hammer mods. What a quality product. Thank you Jeri at RTK. I was able to remove all the pre-travel and over-travel with the trigger. I love set-screw triggers to give the measurements needed for final trigger production but I do not use set screws in real-time carry. Soon I will cut out a new trigger from aluminum stock based on the adjustments made to the RTK trigger. If you do not mind set-screws I highly recommend RTK. The fit was perfect.

I also replaced the plastic guide rod with a steel rod and upped the spring to 20lb. I'll put 500 rounds through it and report back on dependability. So far I love the Ruger LC9.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Sounds like you have advanced machining skills. Without pictures or a live sample, I don't really know what you are talking about but it sounds like you achieved your goal. What can be done to a LC9s to add pull weight? I'd like it to be a little heavier .

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
starhubs's explanation.........way above my pay grade.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts