Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
TheShooter said:
Try to do this with a LCP without a Crimson Trace. Shot at 20 yards standing un-supported. Reason enough for me.

The Shooter

Hi Shooter!
I have really been looking at getting one of these but I just can't overcome a few problems.
*Under what conditions can you see the laser on the target at 60 ft? I shoot outside.
*How on earth can you be steady enough that far away to make a small group? The 2 times I've tried lasers I was shaking all over the place and farther away was worse.
*Is the button a problem with only 2 fingers on the grip? There has been much written on the subject here in the forum.

I'd really appreciate your input on any of these issues. John

· Registered
178 Posts
TheShooter said:
You ask how I can see the red dot from the laser. Notice the target has a black background. It sure makes it easy. How do hold so steady? Well that is trigger/finger control. You start by purchased a set of strengthening springs grip things at Wal-Mart. They cost about $8.99 per pair. Work on your grip first. Then purchase a set of dry-fire caps for a revolver and dry fire it to death. Then put a dot on the wall (orange or black works best) . And while holding the pistol completely still and fire it at the dot, make sure it’s empty first. Do this a couple thousands times. Reference the button for the laser. I'm lefthanded and they never seem to be a problem. Then go shoot your LCP
It seems it comes back down to practice,practice,practice. I'm still not sure about being able to see the thing at 60 feet outside. I know from other laser tools I use sunny days it just isn't going too work to well but what kind of distance can you see it at on a cloudy day? Also I'm not sure there is enough training in the world to allow ME to accomplish groups like that. Bravo!

· Registered
178 Posts
CTCdesigner said:
habanero said:
Hi Shooter!
I have really been looking at getting one of these but I just can't overcome a few problems.
*Under what conditions can you see the laser on the target at 60 ft? I shoot outside.
*How on earth can you be steady enough that far away to make a small group? The 2 times I've tried lasers I was shaking all over the place and farther away was worse.

*Is the button a problem with only 2 fingers on the grip? There has been much written on the subject here in the forum.

I'd really appreciate your input on any of these issues. John
Habanero,

I can address the 2 questions in red.

1. We do most of our testing outside but at a closer distance, typically 7 yds. We will do some testing at the 25 yd range. You should be able to see the laser under any conditions other than bright direct sunlight at your distance. If you have an overcast day (most of the time in Oregon :)) or can put the target in the shade you should be ok. In bright sunlight conditions we put reflective tape (white) on the target which works very well. Also, the laser is always easier to see when shined on a lighter color. Black will tend to absorb the beam.

2. The shaking you are seeing is always there, the laser is just making it easier for you to see. The more you practice aiming and trigger pull using the laser the steadier you will become. The instant feedback you get with the laser really helps you steady down but it does take practice. Most of that can be done at home with an unloaded firearm and snap caps. At work I use a blue gun with a laser installed for practice. One of the perks of the job 8)

Dan
Thanks Dan, That helps. I've just about researched it to death now just about time to decide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.