Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Sluggo said:
Y'all make a number of good arguments for and against - but - I can't find any downside, other than cost. It isn't in the way and doesn't prevent or hinder either point and shoot or aimed fire.

If you want to see what it's really for - try this exercise. Plop yourself in your favorite chair, turn out the lights, and draw Elsie. Point her at an object you cannot see, but you know perfectly well where it is. Now squeeze the laser switch. Ok, who moved the coffeepot?

Try it again from your bed. Who'da thunk that lamp was two feet to the right of where you THOUGHT it was? Can you really hit the doorway?

This is the real value of the laser. Another is training in point and shoot - draw, light, snap. You can see what your version of trigger control is doing to the point of aim. Usually, unless you have been practicing a lot, it ain't real purty. There are many ups, and darn few downs. I wouldn't be without it; it has done wonders for my confidence.

Sluggo
Sluggo,

This is exactly what I do while watching TV except I use a blue gun with a laser attached. Also, you don't have to turn the lights off to do this drill. The key is to get a sight picture then use the laser to see how close/far you were from the target. This is where a controllable activation switch is very handy. With enough practice you will be surprised how close you will get to the target using the laser as instant feedback to build up the muscle memory. This along with dry fire practice are both excellent uses of the laser for training.

Dan

· Registered
47 Posts
habanero said:
Hi Shooter!
I have really been looking at getting one of these but I just can't overcome a few problems.
*Under what conditions can you see the laser on the target at 60 ft? I shoot outside.
*How on earth can you be steady enough that far away to make a small group? The 2 times I've tried lasers I was shaking all over the place and farther away was worse.

*Is the button a problem with only 2 fingers on the grip? There has been much written on the subject here in the forum.

I'd really appreciate your input on any of these issues. John
Habanero,

I can address the 2 questions in red.

1. We do most of our testing outside but at a closer distance, typically 7 yds. We will do some testing at the 25 yd range. You should be able to see the laser under any conditions other than bright direct sunlight at your distance. If you have an overcast day (most of the time in Oregon :)) or can put the target in the shade you should be ok. In bright sunlight conditions we put reflective tape (white) on the target which works very well. Also, the laser is always easier to see when shined on a lighter color. Black will tend to absorb the beam.

2. The shaking you are seeing is always there, the laser is just making it easier for you to see. The more you practice aiming and trigger pull using the laser the steadier you will become. The instant feedback you get with the laser really helps you steady down but it does take practice. Most of that can be done at home with an unloaded firearm and snap caps. At work I use a blue gun with a laser installed for practice. One of the perks of the job 8)

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.