Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ruger LCP MAX 380 when loading a new mag and trying to rack, the bullet jams and won't allow me to completeley rack. If I manually load a bullet THEN load magazine, it is fine. Tried different brands same results. Is this a return to factory issue?>

· Registered
16 Posts
I have an Ruger LCP MAX 380 when loading a new mag and trying to rack, the bullet jams and won't allow me to completeley rack. If I manually load a bullet THEN load magazine, it is fine. Tried different brands same results. Is this a return to factory issue?>
Load up you mags to full capacity and let them set a while. After a couple weeks then try them again. Sometimes springs are too stiff right from the factory and this helps break them in. If you can't wait that long try loading them and unloading them a few times, then make sure you are using the slingshot method in loading first round into chamber. Pull slide all the way back and just let it go. Don't try to push slide forward.

· Registered
LCP Custom
47 Posts
Any new gun built by any manufacturer today should work properly after a proper cleaning out of the box if appropriate factory ammo is used.

If it's a new gun and doesn't work properly and you're not a gunsmith send it back. No sense trying an online recommendation with your fingers crossed hoping it will work. That's why the manufacturers provide warranties on their products.

· Registered
146 Posts
My guess is that you are "riding the slide".....Pull the slide all the way back and let it go with muzzle pointing DOWN so as to let gravity do it's thing. Riding the slide is the most common fault I see in my Defensive Carry classes. If that doesn't work, send it back. The LCP Max has an awfull track record in it's short life, I just don't understand what is going on with Ruger!!!

· Registered
16 Posts
My guess is that you are "riding the slide".....Pull the slide all the way back and let it go with muzzle pointing DOWN so as to let gravity do it's thing. Riding the slide is the most common fault I see in my Defensive Carry classes. If that doesn't work, send it back. The LCP Max has an awfull track record in it's short life, I just don't understand what is going on with Ruger!!!
That is exactly what I have been saying. Also some guns need a break in period. I didn't mean that Ruger guns do as a whole, but many do.

· Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that slamming in a magazine on an open bolt will sometimes disrupt the top bullet in a magazine?
I have noticed this especially with .22LR.
Absolutely. That is only time I have trouble with my Walther P22 is when I slam the new magazine in after dropping the empty and the slide is open. I try to be a little more gentle in those cases. 22lr pistols are all a little finicky as to magazines. Small round and not much holding them in. I find that even a problem with 22lr rifles with detachable magazines.

· Registered
103 Posts
Any new gun built by any manufacturer today should work properly after a proper cleaning out of the box if appropriate factory ammo is used.

If it's a new gun and doesn't work properly and you're not a gunsmith send it back. No sense trying an online recommendation with your fingers crossed hoping it will work. That's why the manufacturers provide warranties on their products.
OP, if you're doing everything right, then do this right here. My then-new LCP was giving me failure to extract problems and I thought it only needed to be broken in. No limp-wristing, etc. The issue did not resolve itself so off to Prescot it went. Then I had to start from scratch putting enough rounds through the repaired pistol to confirm it functioned. All the ammo I shot before the trip to the factory was wasted.

· Registered
146 Posts
OP, if you're doing everything right, then do this right here. My then-new LCP was giving me failure to extract problems and I thought it only needed to be broken in. No limp-wristing, etc. The issue did not resolve itself so off to Prescot it went. Then I had to start from scratch putting enough rounds through the repaired pistol to confirm it functioned. All the ammo I shot before the trip to the factory was wasted.
That is the biggest issue I have with these Ruger LCPs. I do not feel comfortable with a defensive carry handgun until I have 200 rounds that flawlessly function. I have an original Gen 1 LCP which functions perfectly. I would not "trade up" to a newer model because of the ammo cost as mentioned above, in order to make sure the gun works properly.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the responses, here is the update-After reading the responses I called customer service # and spoke with a very helpful representative. They issued me a label and I shipped it back to the factory. I am a fan of multiple Ruger firearms both pistols and rifles. Great company, with great products, and very courteous customer service. They will always be my first choice in the future.

· Registered
103 Posts
Thank you for all the responses, here is the update-After reading the responses I called customer service # and spoke with a very helpful representative. They issued me a label and I shipped it back to the factory. I am a fan of multiple Ruger firearms both pistols and rifles. Great company, with great products, and very courteous customer service. They will always be my first choice in the future.
Here's to wishing you feel the same way after you get it back and shot it! ;)

· Registered
146 Posts
Good customer service starts with making a product that doesn't have to be sent back. Ruger should include several boxes of ammo with the returned gun so the customer can be confident in carrying their LCP. Ammo is expensive and all these returns are quite troublesome. The LCP has to be the most returned pistol ever!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For a forum for Ruger firearms, it is truly disturbing to receive so many harsh responses concerning a product. I currently have.3 rifles and 5 handguns ALL Ruger, plus a few other brands. Have had ZERO issues with any, Except a used Ruger 380 I purchased. I was a previous owner and shooter of an S&W 357 revolver that I was forced to return to their service dept twice and then sold to someone else due to technical issues they were not able to successfully resolve.
Rather than publically say harsh crass words or opinions why don't you move on to another forum?

· Registered
146 Posts
For a forum for Ruger firearms, it is truly disturbing to receive so many harsh responses concerning a product. I currently have.3 rifles and 5 handguns ALL Ruger, plus a few other brands. Have had ZERO issues with any, Except a used Ruger 380 I purchased. I was a previous owner and shooter of an S&W 357 revolver that I was forced to return to their service dept twice and then sold to someone else due to technical issues they were not able to successfully resolve.
Rather than publically say harsh crass words or opinions why don't you move on to another forum?
"Except for a Ruger .380"......Dah, what do you think we are talking about????? Nobody doubts the quality of past Ruger products. When Police Agencies, (including mine), do not permit the carrying of the LCP because of all the problems, then perhaps there is a problem. My agency has returned over 300 LCPs. And this is not a Ruger firearms forum, it is a Ruger LCP forum!!

· Registered
16 Posts
"Except for a Ruger .380"......Dah, what do you think we are talking about????? Nobody doubts the quality of past Ruger products. When Police Agencies, (including mine), do not permit the carrying of the LCP because of all the problems, then perhaps there is a problem. My agency has returned over 300 LCPs. And this is not a Ruger firearms forum, it is a Ruger LCP forum!!
Sorry but it says Ruger pistol forums on the top. This thread might be for lcp but it is part of Ruger pistol forum. It is hard to find praise on here for Ruger pistols of any kind unless you talk about revolvers.

· Registered
146 Posts
Sorry but it says Ruger pistol forums on the top. This thread might be for lcp but it is part of Ruger pistol forum. It is hard to find praise on here for Ruger pistols of any kind unless you talk about revolvers.
Yes, What I meant was "LCP thread". You are right about the Ruger revolvers for sure. My original service revolver was a Ruger Security Six and it was made like a tank! The action was as smooth as butter. I hunted whitetail deer with a .44 Blackhawk....great gun also. I am one of the lucky ones that has an original LCP Gen 1 which functions flawlessly, with light use. The number of sendbacks, especially with the LCP Max is astonishing. You would think that Ruger would have gotten it right after almost 15 years of production. I bought mkne in 2008.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts