Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
The current situation is a lot of turmoil, so I want a gun to protect myself in case I have to use it. Maybe I'll buy a pistol. Is the Ruger a good gun to buy? Hope everyone please let me know.
Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
My favorite firearm will always be my Ruger Standard with sights painted white by my grandfather
42 Posts
Pertty sure everyone on here is going to endorse Ruger all right! The LC9 is a great first handgun. Manageable recoil, small enough for comfortable concealed carry, and chambered for America's most popular pistol cartridge. If you're looking for the reliability of a revolver, then you'll do well with a LCR. 38 Special is a little harder to find than 9mm when ammo gets scarce, though, and I expect you'd prefer the LC9's seven shots over the LCR revolver's five. Have you any thoughts to which kind of handgun you'd prefer to have, a semi-automatic or a revolver?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Define 'good.' In lieu of anything else it is an excellent handgun. Well engineered and precisely manufactured, Ruger enjoys a well earned reputation of respect in the firearms industry. BUT, in the hands of an untrained and unpracticed individual it can be a liability. If you are new to guns, go to your local range and try a few out. And not just Ruger. You might like something different. The folks at your local gun range are more than happy to help out someone new to firearms.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is a Ruger a "good" gun. Well, Ruger has been in business since 1949, and I don't think any firearms manufacturer could remain in business that long without producing good guns.
Do you have ANY experience with owning and shooting a handgun? I would NEVER recommend the Ruger LC9 for anyone's first handgun. This is a double action hammer fired pistol with a fairly strong trigger pull involved, and from what I've seen, Ruger has discontinued those versions. My recommendation would steer you more toward a .380 caliber striker fired pistol. Much easier trigger pull and ammunition is much lighter to handle, if you want to go with a Ruger.
If you have a local shooting range that may also sell guns, try those folks out for advice and you may even be able to use one of their range guns to see how they work for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pertty sure everyone on here is going to endorse Ruger all right! The LC9 is a great first handgun. Manageable recoil, small enough for comfortable concealed carry, and chambered for America's most popular pistol cartridge. If you're looking for the reliability of a revolver, then you'll do well with a LCR. 38 Special is a little harder to find than 9mm when ammo gets scarce, though, and I expect you'd prefer the LC9's seven shots over the LCR revolver's five. Have you any thoughts to which kind of handgun you'd prefer to have, a semi-automatic or a revolver?
Thanks you so mucjh for your comment

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Define 'good.' In lieu of anything else it is an excellent handgun. Well engineered and precisely manufactured, Ruger enjoys a well earned reputation of respect in the firearms industry. BUT, in the hands of an untrained and unpracticed individual it can be a liability. If you are new to guns, go to your local range and try a few out. And not just Ruger. You might like something different. The folks at your local gun range are more than happy to help out someone new to firearms.
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is a Ruger a "good" gun. Well, Ruger has been in business since 1949, and I don't think any firearms manufacturer could remain in business that long without producing good guns.
Do you have ANY experience with owning and shooting a handgun? I would NEVER recommend the Ruger LC9 for anyone's first handgun. This is a double action hammer fired pistol with a fairly strong trigger pull involved, and from what I've seen, Ruger has discontinued those versions. My recommendation would steer you more toward a .380 caliber striker fired pistol. Much easier trigger pull and ammunition is much lighter to handle, if you want to go with a Ruger.
If you have a local shooting range that may also sell guns, try those folks out for advice and you may even be able to use one of their range guns to see how they work for you.
Thanks you for your opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
lynda are you sure you can handle a gun you seem very confused and folks like you scare the hell out of me,your comments about banning guns then you claim you want one.are you on drugs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts