Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Innovative Arms LCP .32 NAA Conversion Barrel

28K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  Disaster 
#1 ·
Phillip of Innovative Arms recently took on the task of making a barrel for the LCP chambered for the .32naa. The barrel was conventionally machined. Feeding was reportedly "flawless and ejection was positive." Since then he has put roughly 50 rnds though the weapon with zero stoppages. A small production run of these barrels are planed for both the LCP and the P3AT He would be interested in feedback from LCP owners to see if this is worth pursuing. I have asked Phil to come over and post.

http://www.innovativearms.com/

#3 ·
Maybe Phillip can comment. People have different needs and wants Racer so it may be a bit premature for the "huh" just yet. This is exactly what he trying to find out, whether there IS sufficient interest to go forward.

Perhaps this will shed some additional light on the subject:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/32_0924/

#4 ·
Interesting article. Seems different from what I had read back when I was mousegun shopping. I had read articles showing nearly identical ballistic stats for the .380 and .32NAA, with the .380 slightly winning in expanded size. You know how info and the internet is though...

Definitely curious now. ;D

#5 ·
I'm not sure the 32NAA is a downgrade, maybe a sidestep? I personally like a flatter shooting cartridge, can anyone say "100 yard squirrel gun?" :D Being a handloader, I would very much like to try out this combo, I think it has a lot of potential, in my opinion.... Now, my question is, is he working on a 45ACP conversion? ;D
Regards,
Mike

#6 ·
Ooben said:
I'm not sure the 32NAA is a downgrade, maybe a sidestep? I personally like a flatter shooting cartridge, can anyone say "100 yard squirrel gun?" :D Being a handloader, I would very much like to try out this combo, I think it has a lot of potential, in my opinion.... Now, my question is, is he working on a 45ACP conversion? ;D
Regards,
Mike
probably a good round, just no real ammo selection out there at ALL. the 380 hole is still bigger and ain't that what the 45 auto people always saying????

#7 ·
SpeedRacer said:
Interesting article. Seems different from what I had read back when I was mousegun shopping. I had read articles showing nearly identical ballistic stats for the .380 and .32NAA, with the .380 slightly winning in expanded size. You know how info and the internet is though...

Definitely curious now. ;D
As a reloader I think it would be fun to experiment with it. +1 on what Ooben said.

#8 ·
jocko said:
probably a good round, just no real ammo selection out there at ALL. the 380 hole is still bigger and ain't that what the 45 auto people always saying????
Well jocko, I'm one of those 45 auto people, and if given the right situation, I would much rather carry a weapon that would make at least a .45 inch hole than a .35 inch hole. :D I think there is a certain trade off between velocity verses bullet diameter/mass, just depends on what you want to do. I definately tend to go with the "heavy and slow" theory rather than the "Light and fast" ideas. Being a handloader, I just find the concept of a bullet leaving a sub 3 inch barrel at 1200 FPS very interesting. Any better than a standard 380? I don't have a clue, but I sure would like to play with it!
Regards,
Mike

#10 ·
Hello LCP Forum. I am Phillip with Innovative Arms. I was asked to comment on the 32naa conversion barrel that I built for one of my customers. There seems to be much debate on the efficiency of the round. I can only speak for myself when I say it is somewhat like a mini sig .357 round. I shot 3 loads through the barrel and in every case feeding was flawless. Accuracy was 1.5” or less off-hand at 8yards. I ran the rounds through a chrono and the results where as follows. The 60gr. Corbon averaged 1201 fps for 5 shots. The hand load 85gr. JHP/XTP averaged 890fps for 5 shots. Finally the hand load 60gr. JHP/XTP averaged 1499fps for 5 shots. Incidentally the last round mentioned was defeating a level 3A vest panel at 15 yards through a semi-auto 32naa carbine at 2,000fps. Every shooter has their own feelings on what works and what does not. I believe that for a concealed carry back-up application the round has just as much mustard as the .380 but with better penetrating ability. I understand that ammo isn’t cheap if you by factory. The neat thing is that you can practice with the less expensive .380 ammo and when it is time to hit the streets, drop in the 32naa barrel.

#11 ·
Hi Phillip, welcome to the forum! I for one find the 32NAA a very interesting cartridge, would very much like to play around with it. How was the handload at 1499fps to shoot, much recoil? How was the muzzle blast? Have any idea what kind of chamber pressure it developed? Any and all info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

#13 ·
INNO-ARMS said:
Hello LCP Forum. I am Phillip with Innovative Arms. I was asked to comment on the 32naa conversion barrel that I built for one of my customers. There seems to be much debate on the efficiency of the round. I can only speak for myself when I say it is somewhat like a mini sig .357 round. I shot 3 loads through the barrel and in every case feeding was flawless. Accuracy was 1.5” or less off-hand at 8yards. I ran the rounds through a chrono and the results where as follows. The 60gr. Corbon averaged 1201 fps for 5 shots. The hand load 85gr. JHP/XTP averaged 890fps for 5 shots. Finally the hand load 60gr. JHP/XTP averaged 1499fps for 5 shots. Incidentally the last round mentioned was defeating a level 3A vest panel at 15 yards through a semi-auto 32naa carbine at 2,000fps. Every shooter has their own feelings on what works and what does not. I believe that for a concealed carry back-up application the round has just as much mustard as the .380 but with better penetrating ability. I understand that ammo isn’t cheap if you by factory. The neat thing is that you can practice with the less expensive .380 ammo and when it is time to hit the streets, drop in the 32naa barrel.
Phillip, thank you for gracing our stage at my request. I find what you are doing interesting and applaud you for taking this project on. Photos and test results are welcomed for informational purposes although we have to be somewhat careful about direct vendor solicitations. But the more informed we are about the .32 NAA round the better, and because we have no competing paid commercial vendors at elsiepeaforum.com, I see this as a topic worth pursuing.

#21 ·
picketeer said:
Wondering what this will do for our ElsiePea warranty if we use the conversion and something goes awry?

I also hear very often that if you modify your carry gun in any way, it looks REALLY bad in court if you use it in self defense. That was the first thing my instructor went over, and I haven't heard any different in random conversation on the defensive carry forum. Although I'm not sure a simple barrel swap would be considered a modification.....?

:-\

Also, can the LCP stand up to the extra power? For just shooting on the range, I'd be interested!

#22 ·
You maybe correct. I believe that is more intended for the type of ammo you use in defense, hand load versus factory. I don't think it is any different than dropping in an aftermarket Sig .357 barrel in a Glock 22 .40cal. The same could probably be said for staggering rounds in the magazine. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

#23 ·
Zach and Holly said:
picketeer said:
Wondering what this will do for our ElsiePea warranty if we use the conversion and something goes awry?

I also hear very often that if you modify your carry gun in any way, it looks REALLY bad in court if you use it in self defense. That was the first thing my instructor went over, and I haven't heard any different in random conversation on the defensive carry forum. Although I'm not sure a simple barrel swap would be considered a modification.....?

:-\

Also, can the LCP stand up to the extra power? For just shooting on the range, I'd be interested!
IMO, I am thinking that firing a .32 caliber in a "foreign barrel" in a weapon designed to accommodate the firing of a .380 caliber in it's OEM barrel might just border on being a mod! Maybe not???????

#24 ·
I see this as no different than installing an after-market Lone Wolf .357 SIG barrel in my Glock 27 .40SW. No one gives it a second thought. 'Completely drop-in and uses the same mags, no further mods required. This of course is predicated on the fact that the LCP and/or P3AT can safely handle the .32 NAA without incurring mega-accelerated wear and/or presenting a safety risk. I look forward to seeing some extended testing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.