Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum. This is only my second post (I posted my intro moments ago). After having done more research than one ought to be allowed to do, I think I've decided I want to add an LCP to my collection. Here's why:

I'm a 68 year-old male. Very slender (5'10" / 140#). I inherited my bone structure from my 5'1" mother (my ring finger is a size 6.5). I note this because carrying a full-size sidearm is out of the question for me. I have several, and I shoot them well, but they are range pistols and not self defense weapons. My EDC for years has been a SIG P938, but I grew to not trust it, and so I have recently replaced it with a SIG P365. Some days though, even those can be too "prominent" for me to carry.

I should also note that I'm a runner (heck, when you're built like me, you might as well do what your body is best at, right?). That means usually no pockets, no belts, and little covering clothing. When I run, I don't carry (which is probably the one place and time I should carry!).

So, like many others, I've come looking for the "invisible" gun. To me, that means the LCP Gen 2, NOT the LCP II. I need light weight, as well as small! I've found quite a few online that can be had for under or around $200. But the one I would literally buy outright is the model 3793.

On Ruger's site, this gun is shown, but is listed as a "Chattanooga Shooters Supply Exclusive." That means only dealers can resell one; I'm not a dealer, so CSS won't deal with me. I did find a model 3794, which is the same treatment in LCP II, but as I stated, I want the LCP.

Yeah, I may be difficult to please. And this post has now gone for too long, so I'll hang up now. If you have any insights or know of a seller, I'd be delighted to know!

Glad to be here!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah! Thank you. I guess the reason it didn't show up in my search there was because it's not in stock. I'm going to click the "Notify me when available" button!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I’ve pocket carried the Gen 2 LCP as well as the LCPII (w/the supplied holster) and cannot tell the difference. The LCPII is a bit easier to shoot but combat accuracy is also about the same so it comes down to which one suite you better. Both are excellent for self defense but regular range time is a must w/small carry guns to maintain your skills.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve pocket carried the Gen 2 LCP as well as the LCPII (w/the supplied holster) and cannot tell the difference. The LCPII is a bit easier to shoot but combat accuracy is also about the same so it comes down to which one suite you better. Both are excellent for self defense but regular range time is a must w/small carry guns to maintain your skills.
Thank you! I stopped by the range on the way home from work today, and they had both. While I didn't have time to shoot them, I hefted them, racked them, triggered them, and compared them, and I agree, there's almost no difference in size between them. The II is just a tad heavier, and theirs had an extended-round magazine, so I had to compare them unloaded.

I liked the trigger on the II and the fact that the slide locked back. And, since Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore had one in stock, I ordered it! :pride:

I guess that means I'm going to stick around here for a bit. Be prepared for lots of questions. . .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Go to any LGS and ask if they get guns from Chattanooga Shooters Supply. If they do, they can easily order one in for you. With a unique model like that one, you are probably better off special ordering than waiting for one to show up in stock online.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone! I stopped by my LGS/Range yesterday and handled both the LCP and the LCP II. I found I liked the LCP II better, due to its nicer trigger, lock-back-on-empty slide and slightly better sights. My range is a Ruger reseller, so I asked if they could order one. They could not. So I ordered one from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. It should be at my FFL in a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Good luck with it. Most LCPs digest everything well. The ones that don't usually act up right from the beginning and Ruger will make them right for you. They generally are not high round count pistols though. Shoot it until you feel confident of it's reliability then just enough to remain proficient with it. They are cheap enough to buy two, one for the range and a carry piece.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the feedback. I'm looking forward to getting to know my LCP II when it arrives.

Now that I've committed to one, does anyone have any experience with the DeSantis Pocket Shot holster? My LCP II ships with a pocket holster, but I may want to go beyond the manufacturer's issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't like the looks of that exposed trigger. I've been using the Nemesis lately.
Well, that's the whole point: No need to pull the gun out of the holster. Just pull the whole thing and shoot. But the holster keeps the gun from printing.

As for the Nemesis, I already have four or five Sticky holsters and one Blackhawk that work well for my SIGs. More than likely one of those will work as well.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yeah, that's just me. I don't even care for the LCP II trigger for pocket carry. Shirt tails, draw strings, etc. can get caught in the trigger when sliding it in your pocket. If you feel comfortable with an exposed trigger, go for it. I would never appendix carry either but again I error on the side of caution.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The more I thought about that holster, another possible negative came to mind. The draw would probably snag due to the fact you would be basically pulling the gun with the holster, similar to drawing the LCP / pocket holster combo. Would need large pockets to pull it off. Also the leather comes close to touching the slide. Any shifting of the gun could cause the slide to drag. I don't know, just playing devil's advocate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing I’ve learned from decades of reading and participating in forums is that you will find people who are on completely opposite sides of an issue with each being equally certain they are correct.

Having said that you can count me in the camp that would STRONGLY discourage anyone from ever carrying a firearm in a holster that does not completely cover the trigger guard. If not for your safety then for the safety of everyone around you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, that's just me. I don't even care for the LCP II trigger for pocket carry. Shirt tails, draw strings, etc. can get caught in the trigger when sliding it in your pocket. If you feel comfortable with an exposed trigger, go for it. I would never appendix carry either but again I error on the side of caution.
I couldn't agree more!!! Ever hear of "Glock Leg"..... it is an accidental discharge from pocket/IWB carry due to gun going off when the trigger is snagged on something like Pennsy described above. The only safe pocket carry I would do is a fully covered trigger ONLY with a standard LCP. The LCP II trigger system is an accident waiting to happen, I for one would never carry it, in fact my police agency forbids the off duty carry of the LCPII......Very dangerous pistol in the hands of inexperienced folks, many of which are on this forum.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for your feedback! I too, have never carried with an exposed trigger. I saw the Pocket Shot and wondered, since the LCP/II is such a small gun, if there was any benefit to simply "masking" its outline rather than add a layer of personal protection. Up until recently, I pocket carried my subcompact SIGs in Sticky Holsters, and still do, although I've now gone the laser route with both (I still have holsters that fit). My latest addition is a Feather Lite IWB that I carry in the small of my back.

The LCP II comes with a pocket holster. Before I try anything else, I'm going to see how I like it "out of the box."

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
One other option you might be interested in is Bear Creek Holsters. He is a regular contributor here on the forum and makes some beautiful leather holsters.

·
Registered
226 Posts
No problem asking Q, that’s what this site is all about so ask away. I’ve been carrying since ‘68 and transitioned from a small .38 to the LCP a couple of years ago. My daily travels are pretty safe and my only reason for carrying is to cause a break in contact if a deadly attack were to happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the DeSantis pocket holster, it's very nicely made, it's also very stiff when you first get it. I found the biggest disadvantage with it is that exterior surface is not sticky enough to hold the holster in your pocket when you draw. I like the Sticky holster, or even the Ruger one better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts