Ruger Pistol Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Drat i forgot to call Ruger today! Now i have to wait until Monday.

I just thought of someone i know who might be able to help me. He was a military gunsmith. But I haven't seen him in a while. Or maybe i can get Denny to come over. I'll pay the airfare. It will wind up costing me $1,500 to fix a $200 gun and it may never be the same anyway!

I tested out a new extended mag on a glock 26 today, out in the desert, 107 degrees, smart huh? And yet another gun problem...

Thanks for the encouragement, RClark. How do they say, When the going gets tough...run away!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I called some more local gunsmiths and the best place in town - because it's the only gun shop in town that I know of that gives a LE discount - there may be others but it's the only one I know of - the big Sportsmans Warehouse gives a 5% discount but that's a military discount - said they'd do it for $20-40, and they might even be able to do it while I wait. I hope they don't change their mind when they see how many little pieces it is in! I'll probably bring it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That's terrific W! I hope it works out for you. Den

·
Registered
373 Posts
On the way over I was telling my friend that i bet they kick me out when they see all the little pieces it's in, grab me by the collar and belt and toss me skidding into the street yelling, "And don't come back!" And yep that's what happened except they were very nice about it. The boss and the whole bunch looked it over and said that when their gunsmith comes back in a couple of weeks it would cost almost as much as a new LCP II to fix it. Boss said that the guy on the phone probably thought I had just removed the slide, something like that.

The good part of my trip to the other side of town in 112 F was that they had the .22's that I was looking for that were out of stock everyplace I looked online as well as the big sporting goods store where i was yesterday, the new CCI non-quiet segmented .22's. Much cheaper than online too, plus I got my little 5% discount. Good store and they've moved to a new expanded space.

Denny - I'll post a photo of the remains of my late great LCP.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You should be able to do this yourself. Just take some time and watch a few video's. You do not need to take it to a gun smith. Heck you might even be able to walk into a small gun shop and find some that cold do this fairly quickly. I wish you luck. No sense in getting rid of he gun.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You should be able to do this yourself. Just take some time and watch a few video's. You do not need to take it to a gun smith. Heck you might even be able to walk into a small gun shop and find some that cold do this fairly quickly. I wish you luck. No sense in getting rid of he gun.

Excellent animated video, but note that they did not remove the small middle pin, the one just to the right of where it says "RUGER" on the left side of the gun. Removing that one was my big mistake. I can't get in there to fit in the little spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It looks dangerous to me without a trigger guard. I know the odds of an accidental discharge in a pocket are small, but I would not chance it. Being a an LCP II user I certainly would not since the trigger pull is so light compared to the two versions of the LCP.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Excellent animated video, but note that they did not remove the small middle pin, the one just to the right of where it says "RUGER" on the left side of the gun. Removing that one was my big mistake. I can't get in there to fit in the little spring.
It looks like the video installs that pin at apx. 1:56. There should be nothing against the law if you send just those pieces to someone to put together. There is no weapon serial number on any piece. For all they know it's a handle for a rubber band gun. Or you could take just those pieces to a gunsmith and show him/her the video. Mine would put it together while I wait most likely. Get R Done. Den

Reactions: Whiskeyshooter

·
Registered
104 Posts
Since you were thinking of getting rid of the gun. Why not just make it a project and take your time to do this on your own. I know you can do this. Look at some video of other guns and the hammer area of where that pin goes into and and connects to. Make it a project like a Puzzle. Imagine the self satisfaction if you were to do this. Keep posting on line and let others help alone the way.

ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE!

·
Registered
373 Posts
It looks like the video installs that pin at apx. 1:56. There should be nothing against the law if you send just those pieces to someone to put together. There is no weapon serial number on any piece. For all they know it's a handle for a rubber band gun. Or you could take just those pieces to a gunsmith and show him/her the video. Mine would put it together while I wait most likely. Get R Done. Den

Denny, thanks again. You are a great guy. But here's the latest: I called Ruger service and they answered the phone quickly (as opposed to S&W that doesn't answer at all anymore, or only on very rare occasions). She said that Ruger will fix it for me and send it back to me no charge. All I need to pay is $30 for a mailing label!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Since you were thinking of getting rid of the gun. Why not just make it a project and take your time to do this on your own. I know you can do this. Look at some video of other guns and the hammer area of where that pin goes into and and connects to. Make it a project like a Puzzle. Imagine the self satisfaction if you were to do this. Keep posting on line and let others help alone the way.

ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE!

But it wasn't self satisfying it was just frustrating trying to maneuver my big paws in that tiny space!

I hope Ruger isn't going to do like the gun shop did yesterday and say, "The hell with this! We thought the jerk had just removed the slide!"

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey, here's my latest stupid problem - Ruger wants the serial number. Where is it? I can't find it.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Its between the take-down pin and the slide lock on the frame insert. Mine is really faint but it's there. Den

·
Registered
104 Posts
Got it!

It's a 2009 model

Ruger serial numbers:

https://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/PI-LCP.html

Just curious, Your LCP is 2009? How many rounds do you estimate you have run through it?
I had one from that year and gave it away. Had one years later and sold it for a $100. I use to see them being sold used for $75.00. LCP's are low volume gun, they fall apart anyway sooner than later. If it is frustrating to you then I would just dump it. Or sell as is for about $35.00.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just curious, Your LCP is 2009? How many rounds do you estimate you have run through it?
I had one from that year and gave it away. Had one years later and sold it for a $100. I use to see them being sold used for $75.00. LCP's are low volume gun, they fall apart anyway sooner than later. If it is frustrating to you then I would just dump it. Or sell as is for about $35.00.
My LCP's - the other one is even older, one of the originals - show zero sign of falling apart (until I took it apart). Both have been flawless. I don't shoot them very much. Why would I want to dump it or sell it as is - in little pieces - who'd buy that? - if Ruger offered to fix it for a total of $30 postage included?

By the way, no follow up from Ruger today and when I tried to call I got the same "our office is closed due to to unforeseen circumstances" message that I got the day before yesterday.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My bad. Missed the part where they said they would fix it for $30.00. Great customer service for a gun built in 2009. And I would rather have a 2009 than the newer LCPll.

·
Registered
13 Posts

ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE!

I'm a little puzzled. Previous pics show disassembled LCP. #50 is labeled a Kel Tec picture but the parts look like LCP to me. In any case, going by the #50 picture, I think you're talking about the pin #270, the pivoting piece #272 and the spring #273. I got myself into that tangle some time ago and solved it by clamping the pistol frame in a small portable padded vise, (mounted on a piece of 2x6) wearing a headlamp to keep both hands free and a fine, narrow jaw hemostat and fine blade X-acto knife to work on it.

Hard part, since it flew apart when I pulled the pin was getting that darned pivoting piece oriented right and the little spring the right way around and on the correct side of it. It was a trial and error chance with experimenting in between assembly bouts.....but it does go. Cut back on the coffee, go in there relaxed and comfy and go to work. Patience and gentleness are the key words.

Put the pin in partway, then, with the hemostat, carefully place the pivoting piece on the pin - flat side forward, notch up - then the spring. IIRC, the spring was the fun part, but it only goes one way. Use the X-acto knife to tease pieces into position. Hold them in place by adjusting depth of pin #270. After doing it a few times and cussing a lot, it gets much easier. It's been a couple of years, but IIRC it assembles from the right side of pistol, i.e. start the pin in from right side. I "think" the notch went to left to locate the spring. I think.

The notch in top of pivoting piece connects with the pivot of the hammer and the spring goes to left side of pistol. Hammer spring goes on left side. Look it over carefully - it will go a couple of ways but will only function properly one way.

Appreciate this little guy. If you really want a nightmare, try working on the trigger mechanism of a Taurus PT111G2. Mine had issues that turned out to be related to the trigger safety and gave me absolute flying fits getting it corrected.....but I did it with an aftermarket trigger that eliminated that goofy safety. (the gun has a positive manual safety as well) It's extremely complex and makes the LCP seem simple in comparison.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah it's marked P32. Are they that much alike? I guess the major difference between them is that the Ruger actually works.

"going by the #50 picture, I think you're talking about the pin #270, the pivoting piece #272 and the spring #273"

You've got it, Gog! That was the problem, and - arghh! - I don't even want to think about it anymore since Ruger said they'd fix it for me. That's what the lady said anyway. So far no response to the email i sent two days ago including the serial number and my name, address, and phone number as she requested, and when I called again today it's back to the "office has closed unexpectedly" message, same as I've gotten 3 out of the 4 days I called Ruger. Maybe they are only open on certain days now.

Why did you pop out the little middle pin on your LCP? My sad story is above. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

"
makes the LCP seem simple in comparison."

Oh no! Don't even tell me about it. I'm still getting psychiatric counseling for the traumatic experience of taking apart and putting back together a Ruger Mark 2 or 3, or whatever it was, nine times, and instead of getting easier each time like they said it would it got harder!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts