Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really? I hear this from many of my customers and gun club members all the time. "My .22 rifle will shoot the gonads off a gnat at 30 yards". Wow! Really? But how does it do shooting 'thumb tacks', after all it is a tack-driver, right? :tennis:

So, a few years back I got a few members together and we conjured up a "Tack-Driver Shooting Event". This contest involved any 'sporter' type, .22 rimfire rifle and scope combination to be used, shooting from a bench rest, at 30 yards to see if you can hit an orange dot, the same size, or as close as I could get it, to a thumb tack. Use whatever .22 rimfire ammunition you have, but to make things fair, let's only use "sporter style rifles", not any $2,000.00 benchrest rifles that many others can't afford. This is to be a purely fun shoot to see how many folks really have a Marlin bolt action, or any other brand rifle and action type, that can actually drive a tack. Here's the target that I came up with, feel free to print it out and then post what your "tack-driver .22 rifle can do:

Just click on the picture and print it out. If you have a tack-driver, post the picture of the end result and the bragging rights are rightfully YOURS.

Good Luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
518 Posts
Played this game before....
Good game to hone skills. I'll have to print up a target or two and give it a go again.
Thanks Dennis.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Clicking on the image doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Same here... found I had to double right click the picture. It's a .jpg file you have to save it first then print it from where your computer puts it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I found that I could drag the image up top then right click on it to print.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shot the above target a couple of weeks ago with my CZ 457 MTR. Had a couple of "dimmets", but otherwise this rifle shoots fairly well:

·
Registered
83 Posts
You must have a powerful scope on that rifle. I don't know if I could SEE those dots at 30 yards with my 4X.

:D

How was 30 yards chosen as the distance?

Why did you mention a "Marlin bolt action?" Are they special?

What's the actual size of that target? Not sure what I'd get off my printer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Really? I hear this from many of my customers and gun club members all the time. "My .22 rifle will shoot the gonads off a gnat at 30 yards". Wow! Really? But how does it do shooting 'thumb tacks', after all it is a tack-driver, right? 🎾

So, a few years back I got a few members together and we conjured up a "Tack-Driver Shooting Event". This contest involved any 'sporter' type, .22 rimfire rifle and scope combination to be used, shooting from a bench rest, at 30 yards to see if you can hit an orange dot, the same size, or as close as I could get it, to a thumb tack. Use whatever .22 rimfire ammunition you have, but to make things fair, let's only use "sporter style rifles", not any $2,000.00 benchrest rifles that many others can't afford. This is to be a purely fun shoot to see how many folks really have a Marlin bolt action, or any other brand rifle and action type, that can actually drive a tack. Here's the target that I came up with, feel free to print it out and then post what your "tack-driver .22 rifle can do:

Just click on the picture and print it out. If you have a tack-driver, post the picture of the end result and the bragging rights are rightfully YOURS.

Good Luck,
Dennis
Really? I hear this from many of my customers and gun club members all the time. "My .22 rifle will shoot the gonads off a gnat at 30 yards". Wow! Really? But how does it do shooting 'thumb tacks', after all it is a tack-driver, right? 🎾

Good Luck,
Dennis

BFD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts