Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am falling in love with this little LCP. 240 rounds, 6 different types of ammo both FMJ and JHP and 0 malfunctions. How many rounds do you typically put through it when you hit the range?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Slappy said:
I am falling in love with this little LCP. 240 rounds, 6 different types of ammo both FMJ and JHP and 0 malfunctions. How many rounds do you typically put through it when you hit the range?
I stay until my hand hurts or my hour is up, whichever comes first. Usually it's "times up" that gets me. I don't seem to remain sore for long. The number of rounds is hard to say as it depends on what drills I am performing. I try to vary the drills to keep me interested in investing the time and money for range work and to work on different aspects of the shooting craft.

A good place for learning different drills is http://Pistol-Training.com/.

OK, OK, not to overly hijack the thread, the range sessions described above usually consume a minimum of 50 rounds. I think once I was over 100 rounds in one hour. Wallet is also a meaningful limitation.

G

·
I should be embarrassed to answer.

I've had my lcp out for a spin twice (bought it just before xmas), and plan to go again next weekend. First time I shot over 50 rounds standing ... before my hand starting quivering over the last bit of the trigger pull. It wasn't so much my hand was quivering, as was the muzzle end of the barrel. It soon grew to me quitting cause I looked so ridiculous. Fatigue I guess, partly due to the recoil. I hoped to cope better this past weekend, but no -- about 25 rounds before it set in. Now I'm thinking part of it is the not-so-great fit to my hand. With my finger tip on the trigger, there's not that much of my upper palm (upper when aiming) in contact with the gun. I suppose I could add a handle wrap, but that's not so great for holstering in the pocket, correct?

I'll try to improve this weekend. ANY IDEAS?

Gotta say, her operation has been flawless otherwise, and she seems to want to conserve my ammo money for other guns.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ronster said:
The best idea is to have realistic expectations. This gun is not intended as a range gun. In any realistic SD situation, you will not need to absorb 25 rounds of abuse inducing hand quivers. Of course, in a SD situation, hand quivers could be the result of other factors. :D

Those of us who are able to shoot lots of rounds at the range are just lucky. And poor! :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Those of us who are able to shoot lots of rounds at the range are just lucky. And poor! :D
Last Saturday I shot
100 .45
100 9mm
150 .380 ( normally 50-60, first post recall test)

I calculate about $130.00 including range fees. Now, where did put that reloading manual.......................?
Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
50 rounds is PLENTY for me in a gun this small. It's just not a fun weapon to shoot. I bring my 9mm along and try to break it up a little so I don't get too worn down quickly with the little LCP.

G

·
Yes, I definitely do take a few other hand guns to the indoor range when I go there. Mostly a 22 mag wife shoots, and for me a 9 and a 22 for shooting on the cheap with a bunch of 1980s 22 ammo I dunno why I still have. They're all cake pieces relative to the lcp. But I feel like I'm a pretty solid and experienced shooter -- mostly rifle and shotgun however -- and it just whacks me out that I don't handle the lcp better than I am. I'm no newbie when it comes to trigger pulling.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got my LCP a couple days ago and I have been to the range twice with it. Both times I shot 120 rounds and if it wasnt for the whole ammo cost factor, I could have gone longer. The reason why I shot it so much is because the pistol is new and I just really wanted to see if this thing was reliable. Once the "newness" factor wears off, I will probably go to about 50rds per range session.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I find myself taking more to the range than I shoot. But I average 50 rounds for 3 different pistols before the time runs out. A year ago the range was not crowded, now you better get there when they open !!

·
Registered
16 Posts
1st time out I shot 100 rounds through the LCP to check reliability. I alternated between shooting my SA-XDM40 and the LCP as the 40 was a pleasure to shoot and the LCP was a little harsh. Going to hit the range again this weekend and want to shoot 50 - 100 more rounds through the LCP.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a hard time seeing the point or return for driving to the range, paying range time... then shooting less than 100rds. It's fairly easy to shoot several hundred rounds in an hour, so why not get the most "bang for your buck"? I've been known to shoot 200+rds from my Sig and/or Glock on one range trip, but I don't give the LCP that kind of work out... I don't find it THAT enjoyable and, I get tired of trying to keep it from jumping out of my hands.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Went to the range yesterday for my first post-recall LCP tryouts. Also brought my SA 1911A-1 Milspec. Put 80 rounds of CorBon 90gr Personal Defense ammo through my LCP with 2 failure to feed issues. Ran 150 rounds through my 1911 with no problems. Today is cleaning day so while I'm doing this chore I'll polish the feed ramp on the LCP to see if that makes any difference. I came away from the range with two nice little "bites" on my left hand from shooting the LCP and two more on my right hand from my 1911. The LCP is definately an up close and personal handgun. Though I put all rounds into center of mass on the targets I did not get a good pattern. All shots with the LCP were at about 15 to 21 feet. The LCP doesn't fit my hand well and along with the trigger pull probably contributed to my shot spread.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had my LCP to the range only once, so I'm averaging EXACTLY 37 rounds per session (saved 13 out of the box to fill two mags and the pipe). When I go to the range in the future, I'm sure I'll also have my 1911 and/or my 92F with me, so I still probably won't shoot more than 50 or so out of the LCP at any given session. As others have said, it's just not all that enjoyable a gun to shoot, especially compared to a sweet 1911.

Ron -

Ronster said:
I should be embarrassed to answer.

I've had my lcp out for a spin twice (bought it just before xmas), and plan to go again next weekend. First time I shot over 50 rounds standing ... before my hand starting quivering over the last bit of the trigger pull. It wasn't so much my hand was quivering, as was the muzzle end of the barrel. It soon grew to me quitting cause I looked so ridiculous. Fatigue I guess, partly due to the recoil. I hoped to cope better this past weekend, but no -- about 25 rounds before it set in. Now I'm thinking part of it is the not-so-great fit to my hand. With my finger tip on the trigger, there's not that much of my upper palm (upper when aiming) in contact with the gun. I suppose I could add a handle wrap, but that's not so great for holstering in the pocket, correct?

Next time you go to the range, STOP trying to do the slow surprise-you-when-it-goes-off style of trigger pull. Take your stance, raise the gun up, take up the slack of the trigger only to the point that you feel the resistance. Then aim. When you've got your target lined up, pull the dang trigger all at once. Don't jerk it, but don't let it stack up on you either. Just one, swift, deliberate pull (using the pad of your index finger) straight back. Don't push or curl your finger. STRAIGHT back. The gun going off shouldn't be a surprise. When you decide to pull the trigger, say "bang" to yourself. The gun and you should say "bang" at the same time. LCPs don't have match triggers or slicked up DA triggers. Don't try to shoot it as if it does.

Try that. See if it works for you.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
tea333 said:
Went to the range yesterday for my first post-recall LCP tryouts. Also brought my SA 1911A-1 Milspec. Put 80 rounds of CorBon 90gr Personal Defense ammo through my LCP with 2 failure to feed issues. Ran 150 rounds through my 1911 with no problems. Today is cleaning day so while I'm doing this chore I'll polish the feed ramp on the LCP to see if that makes any difference. I came away from the range with two nice little "bites" on my left hand from shooting the LCP and two more on my right hand from my 1911. The LCP is definately an up close and personal handgun. Though I put all rounds into center of mass on the targets I did not get a good pattern. All shots with the LCP were at about 15 to 21 feet. The LCP doesn't fit my hand well and along with the trigger pull probably contributed to my shot spread.
don't even talk about 1911's and lcp in the same breath. totally two different guns. One is SA and dead nuts accurate. The other is looooooong trigger pulland not dead nuts accurate. But you can't put that 1911 in your pocket 24/7 either. I lost count of allthe external safetys on the 1911's. noneon the lcp other than a looooong trigger and 6-8# pull also. They are what they are.

I try to shoot 50 rounds per session with my lcp, I like to shoot it. like you I cannot hit jack sh-t with it but at 5 yards and under I can do very good. It is really a close up, last ditch, in ur face gun.

If you expect to go to the range and nail beer cans at 15 yards. you willbe very depressed. Use ur 1911 for that. Practice close, get to know that lcp and it will serve you well.

My kahr PM9 as of today has 18550 rounds through it and you would think I should be dead nuts accurate with it. It like the lcp has a looooong trigger to it. no external safety. much smoother than any lcp could ever be but still a bitch to shoot accurate like your 1911 but a gain it rides in my front pocket 24/7. I like the firepower of a 9 over a 380 any day.

Berr cans are safe with my PM9 at 15 yards to..

·
Registered
63 Posts
jocko said:
don't even talk about 1911's and lcp in the same breath. totally two different guns.
Yin and Yang. Would the LCP feel so light in your hand if not for the heft of the 1911? Would the 1911 feel so sweet to shoot were it not for that loooong LCP trigger?

Okay, yes on both counts. But you got me thinking about emptying beer cans and I'm getting a head start on thinking philosophically.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I took out a second mortgage so I could go to the range! :eek:

Oh...I shot 50 rounds... Or was it 51?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.