Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 5 months since I got my LC9, and I've put about 650 rounds through it at the indoor range, just learning the gun, getting proficient at loading, chambering, firing. Accuracy has increased to the point I'm now getting better than 70% within 6 inches at 10 yards, and I think I'll get better.

I figure that if a BG fully presents his center-mass toward me and holds still for 4 seconds, he's DONE! Since it's pretty unlikely I'd have such a clear shot, what are my best options for learning self-defense/home defense tactics, including my moving around, the BG's moving around, etc.? Are there good classes to take, or materials to read? Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are a number of classes available depending on where you live and/or your willingness to travel. One of the examples would be Travis Haley's handgun 1 class. There are others out there as well. Also, check NRA's website as they will show the classes available in your local area.

·
Registered
633 Posts
+1 to what will9c1 said.
There are many good courses on defensive tactics out there. Depending on where you live, you may have to travel. Also there are some good books on both the tactics and (perhaps more importantly) on legal issues. If you do some internet search, I'm sure you will find many. Then you can come to the forum with more specific questions and other experiences with those courses and books/DVDs.
Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
starter, bear in mind that books and dvd's are great resources. However, having to physically practice the drill and actually shooting under a bit of stress with professionals there to correct your techniques will make a world of difference. I am speaking from actual experience. My firearm instructor once said "Perfect techniques come from perfect practice' which make sense because if I practice with bad techniques and it becomes a habit, it will be harder for me to correct. Best of luck and enjoy shooting sir.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
Check out NRA's website for classes in your local area. :encouragement:

Reactions: Denny4kids

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Get involved with some sort of shooting venue: IDPA, IPSC, WBAS.
Not only will you get experience, but you'll meet some great folks who can give you a wealth of info.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
There is a ton of "stuff" on the internet, YouTube, DVD, blogs, you name it.... Not all of this is good and much of it contradicts other 'stuff' out there. I like Rob Pincus Personal Defense Net videos on YouTube because he seems to be more focused on the average shooter and what you may likely encounter. Others will have different opinions.

Before you spend hard money on a class, make sure they will be teaching techniques you need to know that are oriented toward non-professionals. Clearing buildings or vehicles, for example, may not be required for you to get a good understanding and practice for the techniques that are most applicable to you and your situation.

As someone else said, it is difficult to offer good or meaningful advice without knowing more about what you think you need.

Do you homework and read lots of reviews before you plunk down your money on an expensive class. Be sure you are getting quality instruction that applies to you and your needs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Some on youtube. Sheriff friends and SF friends, (i work @ Ft Bragg) ,, My NRA instructor. Develop your on tactics from your bedroom/hallway. Magnets can hang pistols all over house. If someone comes at you with a sharpe pencil in your yard, Tripple tap em with your 45. No more double taps. City police, 3 weeks ago told me they keep shootin til threat is over. Thats how NC is. We can carry open and in bars on oct 1st.,church,parades,funerals,banks. Dont let em know where u are with red and green lights. You may want to be in the dark in the wings, After the fire-flash they will be tryin to peak up out of the neck to see where they are, since the head is gone. Stanley steamer & carpet 1. Shoot mucho! Thats why i reload. Have ammo running out my ears. Yes it does take initial cost. When your 60, your care attitude is different. Buy buglar alarm, its dollar a day Yes, there is initial cost. In NC, you tell them to leave front door and cease that u have gun, and they touch door 1 more time, tripple tap you shot gun or what ever.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I continually practice the close ready position and the different options available, jam, reload, moving and reassessing threats etc. At least 1/2 the shots fired not for extreme accuracy but to hit. I feel it most important to hit UR armed threat from the close ready position as it is the hardest for the threat to attack if UR in the very close combat situation most encounter when faced with a deadly threat that seems to come from the dark-lonely.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The reality is, I am going to have to take a defensive handgun course eventually. I think it's important to learn to move and shoot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get involved with some sort of shooting venue: IDPA, IPSC, WBAS.
Not only will you get experience, but you'll meet some great folks who can give you a wealth of info.
+1. Gives you practice shooting on the move under some (yes, artificial but better than nothing) pressure. Some places even manage to incorporate moving targets.

·
Registered
57 Posts
NRA has both in-home defense and outside the home defense classes. Find a local range that offers them. Rob Pincus' Personal Defense Network is worth subscribing to...many excellent videos. The active participation classes are best though. The ones I took at my range were all taught by active duty law enforcement personnel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts