Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the early 1990's I ordered a Ruger 77/22 for one of my customers. When he brought over some of the groups he shot at 50 yards, I was quite impressed with how this stock rifle performed. So, I ordered one for myself and haven't regretted that purchase one bit:

I only did a couple of things to get the rifle to where it made me like it even better. A "Rifle Basics" trigger was fitted, and then the action was liquid steel bedded into the stock and the barrel floated. So, for a mostly stock rifle, this one shoots some pretty nice groups at 50 yards, even better than minute-of-squirrel-noggin'.

Do you have one? Let's see it and read about how yours performs.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Man, many of the folks here are really missing out on not owning a very fine shooting .22 rimfire rifle, if you haven't even considered owning a Ruger 77/22, you're missing out on some very accurate shooting with price worthy ammunition like CCI Standard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I was going to get another bolt action 22 rifle I would look at the Savage or CZ rifles. I have the Ruger RPR 22 caliber and have had no problems with it. Reading the reviews about the Savage and the CZ's versus the Rugers the Savage and CZ's seem to have better accuracy out of the box than the Ruger bolt actions.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The question involves a "specific" Ruger .22 rimfire rifle, the 77/22, and there's an extremely good reason as to WHY, they are hard to find in used condition at your local LGS. The one I have is a very accurate "sporter type" .22 caliber rifle, with even some of the "run-of-the-mill" .22 rimfire ammunition like Federal Lightning.
Now, which versions of the CZ, and the Savage bolt action .22 rimfire rifles are you comparing the Ruger 77/22 to?
The Ruger 77/22 will sure hold its own up against any CZ American, or Savage Mark II F, so which versions of those rifles are you referring to, and have you compiled any test results? I'd sure love to see those actual test results, and how those two rifles shot better, or even the same as, the Ruger 77/22 rifle does.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"The Ruger 77/22 will sure hold its own up against any CZ American, or Savage Mark II F, so which versions of those rifles are you referring to, and have you compiled any test results? I'd sure love to see those actual test results, and how those two rifles shot better, or even the same as, the Ruger 77/22 rifle does."

So far, just:

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you go over to the rimfire central forum where everyone does not drink the Ruger Kool aid there are a lot of posts from people who have the Ruger, CZ, Savage, Tikka and Bergara rifles they and compare them as to reliability and accuracy and the Ruger rifles are usually behind the CZ's, Tikka and Bergara rifles.

Is that a scientific study, no just opinions from people who actually have the guns and have shot them side by side. Could it be bullshit sure just like a lot of the Ruger reviews could be bullshit too.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RimfireCentral has turned into a "bastion" of one gun experts who only know what's involved with the single .22 rimfire rifle they own. Taking any advice from the likes of "Test_Engineer" is more than laughable. He's not even a degreed engineer. When that site became as pitiful as it now is, I packed up my stuff and walked away.
Funny thing though, I can't help but wonder just WHY, they have a need to compare theirs, with the Ruger 77/22. Must be the Ruger 77/22 has set a very high standard to live up to. :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I was going to get another bolt action 22 rifle I would look at the Savage or CZ rifles. I have the Ruger RPR 22 caliber and have had no problems with it. Reading the reviews about the Savage and the CZ's versus the Rugers the Savage and CZ's seem to have better accuracy out of the box than the Ruger bolt actions.
Oh? that's very enlightening, but you fail to mention which models. You do know that they make more than one variety, right?
I do own 3 CZ rifles, 2 Ruger 77/22, one Savage Mark II, and one Winchester, all bolt action .22 rimfire. And....I do test .22 rimfire ammunition to see which rifles shoot better with one ammunition over the other:

Now, you write that "if you were ever to get another bolt action .22". Does that mean you only have one currently? And that's the Ruger PBR. So, you've drank the "Ruger Kool-Aid" also. :oops:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now, you write that "if you were ever to get another bolt action .22". Does that mean you only have one currently? And that's the Ruger PBR. So, you've drank the "Ruger Kool-Aid" also. :oops:
[/QUOTE]
Yes I drank the Ruger Kool Aid once but if I was to get another 22 cal bolt rifle for target shooting there are other brands that are as good and in some cases better in the same price range. I would have to think long and hard before I would get another Ruger bolt rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts