Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks, I will have to try some of these. I have had success with 1 quart odorless mineral spirits and 4 oz of Breakfree CLP mixture for cleaning the BCG of my AR with just a short soaking. The mineral spirits break up the carbon deposits and the CLP keeps the metal saturated with oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kroil is the best barrel cleaner I have ever used. It is a penetrant so it "creeps" under the fouling, lead or copper. Kroil also makes light work of powder residue....

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I know quite a few guys that swear by Mobil 1 for their guns as a lube and to keep rust away. I bought a quart but can't bring myself to use it yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,607 Posts
This is just my .25 cents worth, I would try some of these homemade cleaners and lub on some other stuff before I would use it on Elsie. Some times you got to watch to see if cleaners are to harsh for the surface and the internal grain structure of the metal.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I don't intend to use any of them. I will play around with lubes a little but I know what gun cleaners work safely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the new lite weight motor oils it is cheaper to use a 0 20 mobile oil. All my guns love it and it seems to really work well in cold weather.

·
Registered
633 Posts
For cleaning I am still using Hoppe's No.9. I know there are better and safer products out there today, but I keep coming back to good ol' Hoppe's for its smell, if not anything else. ;)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Use the snake oils for other stuff you want to ruin, not your guns. I use Eezox, simple and it works fantastic for my weapons.
LOL, Snake oil about describes Eezox in my limited use of the stuff. Forgot I have some and I'll bust it out tonight and try it again.

For cleaning I am still using Hoppe's No.9. I know there are better and safer products out there today, but I keep coming back to good ol' Hoppe's for its smell, if not anything else.

Now, we'er talkin', Smoky!.

·
Registered
633 Posts
For lubricant I've also started testing Mobil 1 synthetic mixed with a bit of Birchwood Casey Barricade. Compared to Break Free CLP, which contains teflon particles that I don't care for, this "snake oil" is working very well, especially with my AR rifles. I see less carbon buildup on the bolts for the same number of rounds fired. Also, carbon will come off more easily from bolts and bolt carriers rather than gets baked on. When lubricating handguns, one drop of it will go a very long way. So far, so good.

·
Registered
863 Posts
For lubricant I've also started testing Mobil 1 synthetic mixed with a bit of Birchwood Casey Barricade. Compared to Break Free CLP, which contains teflon particles that I don't care for, this "snake oil" is working very well, especially with my AR rifles. I see less carbon buildup on the bolts for the same number of rounds fired. Also, carbon will come off more easily from bolts and bolt carriers rather than gets baked on. When lubricating handguns, one drop of it will go a very long way. So far, so good.
glad to hear you're trying it out.... though I don't own an AR I've used it on everything from AK's with major rapid fire sessions, shotguns and everything between... after a somewhat lengthy search on the net years ago I leaned toward the V Twin Synthetic not sure why anymore but I'm sure it was something I read over and over again that helped sway my decision..... I also use Hoppes #9 as well, and probably for the wholesome smell to remind me of my early years :) I clean my polymer frames with alcohol, I'm out now and look to replace it with 99% alcohol opposed to the 70% I've been using.... I run it through all my metal components on my carry guns to help mask the smell of Hoppes.....

I'd like to try Ballistol someday but its hard to come by, but really no need to switch from Mobil 1 as its really been a winner for me.....

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'me sure there are many good lubricants out there, but this Mobil 1 mix I've been using is not bad, either.
I haven't tried rubbing alcohol for regular clearning of polymer frames, but I use Gun Scrubber or BreakFree Powder Blast for deep cleaning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ed's Red has worked fine for half a century... :)

Jeff
Stink City using motor oil and ATFs...... no thanks. Same with the highly toxic Hoppes #9 cleaner.
Lots of gun cleaners and lubes out there these days that are near-odorless and non-toxic. If you paid $400 for the gun, then what's the big deal about spending $50-$100 over the next 20 years maintaining it correctly and not chasing the wife and kids outdoors when you clean and oil that gun?

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is just my .25 cents worth, I would try some of these homemade cleaners and lub on some other stuff before I would use it on Elsie. Some times you got to watch to see if cleaners are to harsh for the surface and the internal grain structure of the metal.
I realize that this is a somewhat older thread, but I gotta agree with ttd concerning some home made concoctions. The Brownells catalog has a ton of pages chock full of the latest synthetic cleaners and lubes that "certified" chemists have safely assembled. It's hard to believe that a gun-owner isn't able to find at least one of these products that will get the job done safely, rather than some mixture with a dubious character.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts