Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just remembered about this handy tool! Great for inspecting anywhere you can't normally see.
This would be perfect for inspecting a weapon barrel!
When I worked for Mercedes we were having a hard time inspecting an engine cylinder through the spark plug hole with the factory $2k tool. One of the Techs came up with a mini borescope he had hooked up to his phone and it worked great. With the 90 degree mirror we could clearly see a burnt exhaust valve. He found his on the internet for $10. I'm not sure witch one is for me but I know it must have the screw on mirror tips and a bright light. Den

https://www.amazon.com/NIDAGE-Autom...t=&hvlocphy=9029608&hvtargid=pla-570625718335

·
Super Moderator
4,607 Posts
Denny, a year ago or two a borescope came on this forum or another forum came up. After a few post it died and no other interest. Now, I think a inexpensive borescope like this to have is a GREAT tool to have especially at the range. You can check out the barrel out when you are testing new ammo out or when you have some concerns about the barrel etc.. I truely believe it’s a great tool to have. One other note: you can use it on other projects also. :encouragement:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Denny, a year ago or two a borescope came on this forum or another forum came up. After a few post it died and no other interest. Now, I think a inexpensive borescope like this to have is a GREAT tool to have especially at the range. You can check out the barrel out when you are testing new ammo out or when you have some concerns about the barrel etc.. I truely believe it’s a great tool to have. One other note: you can use it on other projects also. :encouragement:

A bore scope is indeed a very handy tool to use when inspecting a rifle, or handgun bore. I have the Lyman bore scope and it has a 90° viewing lense. That's very handy, as I can see barrel erosion much more clearly than those lenses that only look forward.
One of the areas in a rimfire bore I like to inspect is where the reamer has cut the angled area ( leade ) from the front end of the chamber to where the rifling begins. The main reason I want to see this area is that it is the area where lead & carbon can build up, especially when the reamer starts to get dull and rather than cut that area cleanly, the dull reamer will roll a nasty burr and sharp edge on the trailing edge of the lands. That condition will shave lead off a bullet passing over it and build up into a lead ring. Not good.
Now, over time, the flame from the freshly ignited gunpowder will eventually burn that burr off, but it can take a while to get rid of the burr. Lapping that angle, or leade, when done with extreme caution, will get rid of it also, but it's important that only the area where the burr exists be lapped specifically.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have been attempting to get feed back on what one to buy. Just need one for my rimfires and AR. Always wanted one but did not purchase because of price. Now the price seems to be good enough for a basic one. Just one more way to learn to keep my Ruger's safe and running. I may take the plunge and learn how to use one.
The price for this item is hard to turn down. This tool can assist with other projects as well.
All you guys have a great day.
Rick

·
Registered
478 Posts
That really is a awesome photograph! The eye of the "Speer"...
What brand, make and model do you guys recommend and what accessory's are needed?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Keeping an eye on this thread. I'm interested in a bore scope but also would like to find how one might use it for other things. But considering how inexpensive they are I might buy one just because.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Keeping an eye on this thread. I'm interested in a bore scope but also would like to find how one might use it for other things. But considering how inexpensive they are I might buy one just because.
Same here. I would like to find one that will work in my 22LR rimfires, 9mm, 38spc, AR and use it for other projects. The prices are ok now and one that will work for all my need would be good. Just do not want to buy one and not use it because I bought the wrong one. Willing to pay for one that fits my needs. Going to start researching as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is the one I have:

These You-tube videos are some of the worst, but it does show how this thing works.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The reason that I bought the Lyman version is because of the side mirror and it works real well in .22 rimfire bores. When I do restorations on older .22 rimfire rifles, I need to inspect the bores to see how good/bad the rifling is from using Lesmok gunpowder and whether the barrel will need to be relined or not. The Lyman does a GREAT job for me.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Last week a local customer dropped off his Marlin Model 444. His problem involved "fired" cases sticking in the chamber and preventing that case from extracting and a fresh round to be levered into the chamber. When unloading the rifle after a day of hunting, cartridges levered out just fine. Here's what my scope showed:

Rust in the chamber after a round was fired in a very cold chamber and the heat from the fired round created condensation that was not removed before storage. A very careful polishing process was used to remove the rust and cartridge case brass coloration, and then the chamber was treated with EEZOX.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Same here. I would like to find one that will work in my 22LR rimfires, 9mm, 38spc, AR and use it for other projects. The prices are ok now and one that will work for all my need would be good. Just do not want to buy one and not use it because I bought the wrong one. Willing to pay for one that fits my needs. Going to start researching as well. Good luck.
I can vouch for the fact that the Lyman bore scope will indeed work in .22 rimfire bores, as that's why I primarily purchased it. It will NOT help with inspecting a .17 rimfire caliber bore, and I doubt that the very first post describing the "very" low-cost bore scope will do so either. The 90° eye-piece selection looks too large for a .22 rimfire bore.
The Lyman has a 90° mirror, and without that feature, I, personally, would never consider any other type of scope for inspecting my .22 rimfire chambers, throats, leade and bores. The picture in Post #5, I guess, is sorta neat, but what does it tell us?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts