Ruger Pistol Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,197 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

icl,

Nice to see you aboard. If memory serves me, I've seen you on other forums I frequent. It is also nice to see a lawyer who can express himself so even the congenitily dense, like me, can understand.

Endangering myself, my family, others around me and even the antagonist is irresponsible. But it is also irresponsible not to contribute where you can, like the situation I described above. Therefore, I also have a responsibility to disengage readily, carefully and safely when possible.

I risk bad reviews of my performance in order to understand if I have lived up to my own expectations and to learn from those who critique me. My first approximations to what should be done often needs refining. :-[

· Registered
44 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

*"Castle laws" and other permissive gun legislation are nice window dressing. But, the bottom line is that you will face civil suit.*

Pretty sure castle laws protect against civil suits even being filed.....also called the "stand your ground" laws.

· Registered
204 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing e

rugardan said:
*"Castle laws" and other permissive gun legislation are nice window dressing. But, the bottom line is that you will face civil suit.*

Pretty sure castle laws protect against civil suits even being filed.....also called the "stand your ground" laws.
Nope, too many ways around it.

· Registered
1 Posts

...good topic and good insights. Never hurts to think things through before you ever are to encounter a situation. "Gun control" should be a mental procedure as well as a physical one.
Braggadocio should have no place in these considerations. I concur with those who say "do all that's reasonably possible to avoid or defuse a situation."
In most cases "cooler heads shall prevail". (learned that from Sherlock ;))

..just curious as to how many have taken or had defensine training through a formal course.Was it helpful??? This is my next consideration.

· Registered
28 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing e

Training is always good. As "real" as possible, preferably. The difference between calmly squeezing off rounds and shooting under simulated stress situations is really amazing--and humbling. Somehow, it doesn't look like TV or the movies. Just try sprinting around 100 yards, pulling off 20 pushups, and double tapping timed pairs at multiple targets.......health benefits aside, it makes for interesting groups! ;)

I'm a serious fan of simunitions scenario training. I have learned a lot about myself and my skills........all of which was beneficial.

Howard: I think your response was a reasonable one. The hardest thing for a lot of people in CCW is balancing their feeling of security with having the sense to avoid placing themselves in situations where they may be forced to brandish or use. The criminal side of things is just the start.......even a "no file" decision by the local DA can't protect from a civil suit. Remember that there are really no defenses to suit as most people would believe. What you may get sometimes is an affirmative defense to some suit. All that is, is some fancy words to say YOU get to prove that you SHOULDN'T be sued anymore. So get this: you still get the joy of paying coin to make that argument to save yourself!

Here's the rub: All the other guy has to do is convince ONE of the multitude of hungry civil attorneys that you have insurance, property, or income that is attractive. Usually the mere filing of suit is sufficient to make an insurer seek settlement--just a straight cost-benefit analysis for them..........while YOU are usually bound to let them do as they will. (You probably won't ever get to argue that you shouldn't be sued......because the insurance company attorney is gonna try to make the problem go away--quickly--as they are representing the INSURER, not YOU!)

Take the typical police shooting: (As if there was such a thing as "typical") The DA and Grand Jury review, and call the shoot justified. Then, the civil circus begins.......usually taking at least a couple of years to sort out. Aside from the human cost, the time and money cost of defense is significant. I have friends who have been in this dance for over four years.

Sad to say, in the legal world, the ONLY winner--every time--is the attorney. Both sides.

(Sad because I'm not practicing right now) ;D I have a real job. ;)

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Assuming this link works
.. Shatner on gun control .. for training purposes - what would you do in this situation in you had your LCP? - realizing that the suspect already had the draw on you....???? 1. let it ride and obey? 2. Do as Shatner did though you only have a .380 LCP? 3. anything else?

If the link does not work - go to you tube and search Shatner on gun control ....

· Registered
98 Posts

therealsherlock said:
Assuming this link works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zafAtFzRmME .. Shatner on gun control .. for training purposes - what would you do in this situation in you had your LCP? - realizing that the suspect already had the draw on you....???? 1. let it ride and obey? 2. Do as Shatner did though you only have a .380 LCP? 3. anything else?

If the link does not work - go to you tube and search Shatner on gun control ....
Thats a made for tv scene, if somebody has a weapon drawn on you the chances of you being able to draw and fire before he does are slim to none, the point is to defend yourself not get yourself killed.

The comment "though you only have a .380 LCP" I believe would not have made a difference in what Shatner did, shoot someone in the knee and feet its going to have pretty much the same effect.

Nietz

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

I agree as to the dramatization parts of the video - made for tv but it does make you think. You are right - once they have the draw on you it is pretty much behave and obey time though he was given the opportunity to distract the suspect by handing him his watch and his wallet which made a very small opportunity to draw his own. The good thing about the LCP, assuming you carry a round in the hole, is that like a revolver you do not have to mess with a safety which saves you an extra moment to take action. Also, shooting the feet..? - that was obvious drama. If I would have taken action at all it would have been a whole different zone.

· Registered
73 Posts

My self defense training especially in a circumstance presented is to shoot to stop not to wound, take that much time on three shots presents too much time for return fire.

· Registered
28 Posts

I agree in real life Bill would have been shot before he could draw, however if I was going to attempt it I might see if I could get the BGs attention drawn a away for a fraction of a second to give me enough time to draw and drop. With the CT laser you may have a chance to take him out before he fires. This also assumes you have one in the chamber ready to fire.

All that being said I might just hand him over my crappy Walmart watch and my wallet which usally has less than $20 in it...Credit cards can be canceled.... ;D

· Registered
28 Posts

Though I don't yet have the CT laser on my Elsie, I have admired their product since the first generation Glock system. I'm still wavering.

What I HAVE seen, many times, is the direct and immediate effect a little red dot has on someone receiving it's attention. I carried a gun I did not like, in a holster I would have preferred not to use, so that I could have a light/laser combo to use in my nighttime adventures. If I was still working nights, I might well still do the same.

Even with a Taser, the light and dot speak faster and more convincingly than fear of a dart pack. YMMV

One of my instructors once said, roughly: Defusing and de-escalating with a little red light demonstrating your immediate intent is most effective...... :eek: :eek:

· Registered
203 Posts

icl said:
Though I don't yet have the CT laser on my Elsie, I have admired their product since the first generation Glock system. I'm still wavering.

What I HAVE seen, many times, is the direct and immediate effect a little red dot has on someone receiving it's attention. I carried a gun I did not like, in a holster I would have preferred not to use, so that I could have a light/laser combo to use in my nighttime adventures. If I was still working nights, I might well still do the same.

Even with a Taser, the light and dot speak faster and more convincingly than fear of a dart pack. YMMV

One of my instructors once said, roughly: Defusing and de-escalating with a little red light demonstrating your immediate intent is most effective...... :eek: :eek:
Yup haha! I've seen guys stare down the barrel of a 12ga and tell the deputy F--- YOU!! Another dep came up w/ the taser (and laser dot sight) and homie dropped to the ground like a rock pleading not to shock him :D :D :D

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.