Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

Just wondering if anyone has "used" their LCP yet for actual defense - as in brandishing to stop a threat or firing in defense etc etc? Please no illegal usage stories or fabrications. I am interested in civilian and law enforcement stories. If so - what were the circumstances and the results? ..... retired LE here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

Yesterday afternoon I was four cars behind a gridlock caused by a trucker who pulled too far forward preventing another semi from making his left hand turn. Nothing happened for an entire light cycle so I walked up to ask motorists to back up to give the offending trucker room to back up. When I told the offending trucker he could back up because he now had more than ten feet behind him he became very belligerent. I put my hand in my pocket in a casual way, unholstered my LCP, but kept my hand in my pocket. He yelled and threatened me, I backed off, he backed up his truck and unlocked the gridlock, I walked away. As I walked back to my car, several drivers put their windows down and thanked me.

Did having the LCP make a difference? I don't know. Ever since I began carrying, I've become more willing to reduce the temperature of any hot situation more quickly than before. I'm more likely to walk away from an altercation than to escalate it. I fear putting myself in a situation where I might feel physically threatened than protecting my ego. My wife commented recently that I seem calmer and drive with less aggressiveness. She doesn't acknowledge that I carry and has asked me what has changed my behavior for the better. I've told her she will have to figure it out for herself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

I have not used/brandished my LCP as of yet and I hope I never will have to. I agree with Howard that since I began carrying a concealed firearm about a year ago, I find myself more calm and less aggressive in many situations.

For example, the other night I was at a bar after attending a wedding. I was in line to use the bathroom when a little guy (I am 6'-1" 225lbs with a 32 waist and 48 chest) cut in front of me. I calmly told the fella that he was not going to go before me and the guy freaked out on me. He began yelling and cussing and telling me that he was going to 'shank me.' At this point in the old days, it would have escalated to blows. Now, however, since I carry concealed, I find myself talking my way out of an altercation. I calmed the guy down and he came to me later and said that he was only kidding the whole time. I told him that he needed to be more careful these days because there are dangerous people out there that don't 'kid.'

I believe that when you carry a concealed weapon, you also carry with you the confidence to handle many bad situations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

"An armed society is a polite society."
Robert A. Heinlein
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

Brandishing in Nevada is unacceptable and a crime and you would be jeopardizing your CCW permit, not something I would do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

I'm pretty certain I cannot carry in bars with my PA concealed permit. I am certain guns are there for whatever reason...police, felons, ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

rugardan said:
I'm pretty certain I cannot carry in bars with my PA concealed permit. I am certain guns are there for whatever reason...police, felons, ...
This is in no way advice on what you should do or may do, but what you can do. It reflects my opinion and not necessarily what I choose to do. You can carry anywhere you do not have to pass through a security check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

Reference "brandishing".... sometimes just showing the gun can defuse the whole situation - that is what I meant by brandishing. This would be obviously a last resort just before shooting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

+1 Howard....

In Washington State you can't carry into an establishment serving alcohol....so I'm sure the felons leave their weapons in their cars.... Right!!!!

From my cold dead hands....
SK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

rugardan said:
I'm pretty certain I cannot carry in bars with my PA concealed permit. I am certain guns are there for whatever reason...police, felons, ...
Check out http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed-open-carry-121/]www.[url]http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed-open-carry-121/
[/url] it will explain alot regarding PA carry. I am pretty sure it is not illegal to carry in bars in PA. but I am not a lawer, bla, bla.
PAFOA.org is a worthwile site for any PA gunowner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

therealsherlock said:
Reference "brandishing".... sometimes just showing the gun can defuse the whole situation - that is what I meant by brandishing. This would be obviously a last resort just before shooting.
In Nevada by definition brandishing is pointing/waving a firearm in a menacing way to three or more individuals. We had discussion in my CCW renew class about this and other options to make people aware that you have a firearm when threaten.

I understand what you are asking, you have to be careful when pointing a firearm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

gcwimmer said:
In Nevada by definition brandishing is pointing/waving a firearm in a menacing way to three or more individuals. We had discussion in my CCW renew class about this and other options to make people aware that you have a firearm when threaten.

I understand what you are asking, you have to be careful when pointing a firearm.
So it has to be more than three people? What if you have your weapon at the ready/low position? In some states just having your weapon visible is considered brandishing, lucky for me Idaho has an open carry law.....
Regards,
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

About a week ago, some clown in an SUV nearly hit our work truck.

The guy driving honked at him. The SUV guy slams on his brakes right in front of us.

So, we honked again. He hopped out with a baseball bat.

We all stepped out with our pistols. 2 LCPs and a S&W 9mm....

We never had to remove them from the holster.

He backed off and drove away.

We didn't have to brandish, just seeing that we were armed solved the problem.

R
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

Nevada is an open carry state also but count on being stopped and questioned in some areas like Reno & Las Vegas.

Virgina City you have to have a special permit issued by the city for open carry because of the cowboy actor's walking around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

gcwimmer said:
Nevada is an open carry state also but count on being stopped and questioned in some areas like Reno & Las Vegas.

Virgina City you have to have a special permit issued by the city for open carry because of the cowboy actor's walking around.
Yeah, that's a situation where great care would need to be exercised, that's for sure.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

Ooben said:
gcwimmer said:
Nevada is an open carry state also but count on being stopped and questioned in some areas like Reno & Las Vegas.

Virgina City you have to have a special permit issued by the city for open carry because of the cowboy actor's walking around.
Yeah, that's a situation where great care would need to be exercised, that's for sure.... :D
They advertise VC as "Step back in time", some of the locals get a little too much in character with squibs being used and the city uses the permit to weed out some of the local yahoo's who have stepped too far back in time.

I lived in Prescott, AZ back in the 70's/80's with open carry and around hunting season you would see a lot of people carry. Around fall the local Chevy dealer would have a show with trick shot, fast draw artist and for the next couple of months you would read about locals shooting them self in armpit or foot. Sometimes we need laws to protect are self from are self.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

With all due respect, I think about 99% of the time it is a VERY bad idea to put yourself in a situation that you would normally not just because you are armed. I think this is asking for trouble.

Just because you are carrying a firearm for your personal protection doesn't make you a mediator, peacemaker, police officer, or peace officer. You should NEVER put yourself in ANY situation that common sense would tell you not to just because you have a gun. It is an unnecessary roll of the dice.

Just my opinion. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

ColtsFan said:
With all due respect, I think about 99% of the time it is a VERY bad idea to put yourself in a situation that you would normally not just because you are armed. I think this is asking for trouble.

Just because you are carrying a firearm for your personal protection doesn't make you a mediator, peacemaker, police officer, or peace officer. You should NEVER put yourself in ANY situation that common sense would tell you not to just because you have a gun. It is an unnecessary roll of the dice.

Just my opinion. :)
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing etc??

Ritchie said:
About a week ago, some clown in an SUV nearly hit our work truck.

The guy driving honked at him. The SUV guy slams on his brakes right in front of us.

So, we honked again. He hopped out with a baseball bat.

We all stepped out with our pistols. 2 LCPs and a S&W 9mm....

We never had to remove them from the holster.

He backed off and drove away.

We didn't have to brandish, just seeing that we were armed solved the problem.

R
Were you carrying open or concealled? If concealed, just showing your holstered weapon is considered brandishing in Arizona and will get you in trouble. You could even have your CCW pulled.

Also, be careful. Your actions could be considered aggravating the situation. When carrying, you are walking a very fine line and anything you do to elevate the situation can be taken the wrong way. The best policy to follow when carrying, let stuff slide and walk away whenever you can. Do not draw attention to yourself. Draw only if you intend to shoot because you were fear for you life. While I'm no lawyer, just think about this... convience a jury that '3' grown men couldn't take down a wacko with a ball bat and had to show a weapon or worse yet, shoot him. Don't think your feared for your life plea would hold much water.

I don't mean to belittle what you did... just point out what you were opening yourself up to....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Re: Has anyone "used" their LCP yet for actual defense ..firing or brandishing e

In my civilian mind, I think Massad Ayoob: I used to carry a small wad of ones in a front pocket. When confronted with an armed demand for money, this is so I would have something to throw as I run away.

If my aggressor followed, woe unto him.

The attorney in me believes there should be every chance to DISENGAGE. When faced with NO OTHER option, and the means, opportunity, and immediate risk of deadly force determine meeting with deadly force. If you have no legal duty to intervene, then you had better be very careful.

"Castle laws" and other permissive gun legislation are nice window dressing. But, the bottom line is that you will face civil suit. You may face a jury of your "peers" who think differently about your rights. Why would you not make it as easy as you can for their simple minds and bleeding hearts?

CYA people.

I now leave my soapbox/ ;)
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top