Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I LIKED it!! It had the exposed hammer so that makes it an LCR x right? It was an okay price NIB $397 + 3% for CC and 8.25% tax. I didn't get it as it was the first time I had handled one. But it felt great in my hand. I was at the Mesquite, TX gun show.

I'm thinking this is going to be my next gun purchase. It will take the place of my S&W 642 j frame. It will be a good pick up for me as it will also share ammo with my Shield 9mm and my Mod 2 SC 9mm.

Dang it! Now I am wishing I had gone ahead and gotten it.

Joe

·
Registered
601 Posts
Nice price. Hope when you’re able to get one, You can find one at that price.

How was the show?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
OK, don't mean to be critical, but have never understood the attraction of a 9mm revolver, which requires the additional use of a moon clip. The need to keep track of more paraphenalia for my firearms is a complete turn-off.....heck, at my age, have enough trouble keeping track of my glasses, hearing aiids, etc. Guess interchangeably of using 9mm ammo is an attraction, but, certainly, a minor one to me.

Convince me, guys 'n gals.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Quick reloads? .38 Special is expensive.

Reactions: ETS

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I have read the 9mm is a better performer than 38 with less blast than 357. I don't know. You can use it without the clips.

·
Registered
470 Posts
We rented the LCR, LCRx and SP101 in 9mm and liked it as well.
I used to not like the idea of a 9mm in a revolver until last month when I test fired both the SP101 and the LCRx. Both are good shooters and performed quite well. Vance Outdoors now has the SP101 9mm on sale for $419 this month and that is a good buy. I did shoot the LCRx in both 9mm and 22LR and really liked both. I still am on the fence with the 9mm and mood clips. I know you do not need to use the clips but just a concern. I got used to the moon clips at the test range and both 9mm shot accurate and Ruger did a good job.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I was very interested in the 9mm LCR when it first came out.
What caused me to pass on it, was at the time, there were reports of the 9mm cartridges "Crimp Jumping".

Being that the 9mm cartridge was designed for semi autos and not revolvers, it does not have a solid roll crimp like say, a .38 or .357 cartridge does.
Therefore, the 9mm cartridge is susceptible to crimp jump when fired from a revolver.

Crimp-jump is the action of the bullet (the projectile portion of the cartridge) becoming unseated from its original and proper position within its casing, causing the overall length of the cartridge to increase as more of the bullet is extruded from the case. This can cause the revolvers' actions to become locked up due to crimp-jumped bullets being wedged against the frame and thus preventing the cylinder's rotation.

Shortly after the 9mm LCR came out, one of the members here, ljutic (Bruce) did some testing of the crimp jumping issue of the 9mm LCR.
If I recall correctly (IIRC), the issue came down to the Ammo Brand - some manufacturer's ammo exhibited crimp jumping significantly, while some did not.
(Sorry, I do not recall which did, or did not have problems.)
ljutic's Pocket gun review site:
Pocket Guns and Gear: Gun Reviews

However, for the past couple of years, I haven't heard any more complaints of crimp jumping with the 9mm LCR.
So, I don't know if the issue has been resolved or not.

Please let us know of your experiences with your 9mm LCR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was very interested in the 9mm LCR when it first came out.
What caused me to pass on it, was at the time, there were reports of the 9mm cartridges "Crimp Jumping".

Being that the 9mm cartridge was designed for semi autos and not revolvers, it does not have a solid roll crimp like say, a .38 or .357 cartridge does.
Therefore, the 9mm cartridge is susceptible to crimp jump when fired from a revolver.

Crimp-jump is the action of the bullet (the projectile portion of the cartridge) becoming unseated from its original and proper position within its casing, causing the overall length of the cartridge to increase as more of the bullet is extruded from the case. This can cause the revolvers' actions to become locked up due to crimp-jumped bullets being wedged against the frame and thus preventing the cylinder's rotation.

Shortly after the 9mm LCR came out, one of the members here, ljutic (Bruce) did some testing of the crimp jumping issue of the 9mm LCR.
If I recall correctly (IIRC), the issue came down to the Ammo Brand - some manufacturer's ammo exhibited crimp jumping significantly, while some did not.
(Sorry, I do not recall which did, or did not have problems.)
ljutic's Pocket gun review site:
Pocket Guns and Gear: Gun Reviews

However, for the past couple of years, I haven't heard any more complaints of crimp jumping with the 9mm LCR.
So, I don't know if the issue has been resolved or not.

Please let us know of your experiences with your 9mm LCR.
I have the 9mm Ruger LCRX and the Ruger LCR 357 and I very much like both guns. The 357 is my main EDC. As for Crimp Jumping I have 1100 rounds down range on the 9mm and have never experience a problem. I know the problem does exist. I use American Eagle Range Ammo for target and Hornady Critical Defense 115Grn FTX for self defense. There are videos and articles on the type of ammunition that will not Crimp Jump and these two are included. Coincidentally these are the two that I use on all my 9mm guns. The LCRX 9mm is a joy to fire. Several times I have used the ammo intended for my auto's on the Ruger because I enjoy firing it. Extremely accurate with minimum recoil. When used as a single action I can put all rounds in the black from 10 yards one handed. I routinely fire minus the MoonClips and can successfully eject them MOST of the time however, I prefer the MoonClips because of the quick loading capabilities. I can go on but it is best to fire it yourself.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks GunnyBlue! Crimp jump is another consideration. Like I stated before the LCR, LCRx and the SP101 I tested in 9mm surprised me on how well they performed. Accurate and very comfortable even with the moon clips in the mix. Just still not convinced on the caliber for my revolver replacement just yet. I will say that the price at Vance Outdoors for a SP101 in 9mm for $419.00 is hard to beat. I really liked the LCRx I rented at the Bullet Ranch and the search continues for me. You know I do remember that "BlazzerBrass" 115 gr FMJ did give us a issue about a decade ago with crimping and I have never run into that since. Maybe it is a none issue today but I will consider and look into it. Thanks for the information and have a great day GunnyBlue!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a matter of picking the right Ammo. Great revolver. I use Underwood 124g +p, bonded jpg I think they call it. It’s the GDHP. Minimal crimp jump. Great performance at the speed it gets up to out of the snub.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I’ve been interested in the LCR in .38 for awhile but reports of trigger short stroking have concerned me. A revolver carried for self defense must be able to cylinder dump w/o a malfunction. For those who own the LCR can you tell me if my concerns are off-base? Prior to my LCP I carried/shot a Smith J frame for almost 50 years.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’ve been interested in the LCR in .38 for awhile but reports of trigger short stroking have concerned me. A revolver carried for self defense must be able to cylinder dump w/o a malfunction. For those who own the LCR can you tell me if my concerns are off-base? Prior to my LCP I carried/shot a Smith J frame for almost 50 years.
Carry and shoot both the 642, Ruger LCR9mm and LCR22. Never once short stroked the trigger. My favorite Plinker and Trainer is the LCR22. Shoot the snot out of it and have for a long time. I see no reason why you will short stroke the trigger with you experience. Now if you are one those that fell into all the internet propaganda advocating Pistols with Light Crisp triggers and glass Walls and super duper short resets, then you will most likey short Stroke any DA.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hickcock45 said when shooting a Snubbie and talking about his enjoyment of them this "Their is just something about them". I could not agree more. I just love shooting the Snubbie. And they are so easy to carry, so simple to load, unload and no mess with magazines

Here are two great sites to look at. The video of the Godfather Paul Harrell shooting one and talking about the LCR9mm and a good demo on how well they shoot etc.

The other is the very well done (as Usual) reviewer Pocket guns and Gear Bruce. (Wish he was still doing reviews)

Pocket Guns and Gear: Search results for lcr 9mm

NOTE* I bought the Ruger LCR9mm when they first came out and have been shooting it on a regular basis for years. Crimp jump is one of the most over the top BS on the internet. Simply a matter of not using cheap ammo and selecting the correct ammo for the gun. Crimp jump can happen to any revolver not just 9mm. But it is so seldom. I have NOT had a crimp jump in YEARS. When I shoot the 9mm, I do NOT even think about it before or after. I just do not get them. It is a NON issue for me.

Here is a ballistic comparison of the LCR9mm to some Micro 9mm

·
Registered
470 Posts
The video of the Godfather Paul Harrell shooting one and talking about the LCR9mm is a good one. THANKS for the video link! I love this one...
NO one can judge what is right for you except you!
I still love my S&W642 38spc., enjoy our LCRx22LR and want a .9mm in LCR and or a SP101
LCR=Light Weight Compact Revolver?!
SP101=? Anyone...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I always thought the perfect snub round was the 9mm Federal made in 1988 & discontinued. It was a rimmed 9mm +P meant for 2" barrels. Charter Arms made a revolver for it & Ruger made one or was about to but the idea quickly stopped. Rumor says people were putting these rounds into 38 Specials & blowing them up. It was a nice halfway point between the 38 Special & .357.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I purchased a 9mm LCR about 6 years ago. First reason is the reliability of a revolver. The 9mm choice was because I have that for several semi-auto pistols and a carbine. My paradigm is to have a nice stock of a few calibers that work in different platforms.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts