Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why you can't carry at a gun show? Federal Law? State Law? Gun Show local rules?

Last time I went I carried and I was questioned at the entrance, but I said I wasn't, cause I wasn't going to check my Elsie Pea in with strangers. Did I brake the law?

Please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
vsorrentino said:
Anyone know why you can't carry at a gun show? Federal Law? State Law? Gun Show local rules?

Last time I went I carried and I was questioned at the entrance, but I said I wasn't, cause I wasn't going to check my Elsie Pea in with strangers. Did I brake the law?

Please let me know.

Thanks
Most that I have went to will put a nylon tie through the action.A 1000 or more people in some of these gun shows, with loaded guns, probably is not a good idea. Don't think there is any state or federal law that I know of in Indiana, just show sponsors rules

I doubt if you broken any laws except the sponsors (who rules by the way_) rules for entry. At best it might get your thrown out of the gun show.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Richard X said:
next gun show look at all the paramilitary would be commandos strolling around; want be to be in room with that many unstable armed people with guns and ammo everywhere??? ;D
not me for sure ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
vsorrentino said:

Please let me know.

Thanks
I would hate to think the liability policy that a gun show sponsor has to produce to be able to rent a public building, such as state fairgrounds buildings etc. Has to be some safety rules that MUST be abided by all..It's all about liability anymore. and I agree some of these military type commandos walking around in full dress give me the creeps...You realize that those guys seem to know it all, hell they read all the books.. ;D ;D

·
Registered
18 Posts
last gun show I was at...true story...go to one of my othe forums for the gory details...

standing by a table I frequent (translation...spent tens of thousands with this guy last year..)

son and I are looking for projects....(translation, things to peeve off queen pelosi).....

some guy whips out his pistol and says...do you have xxx for this. in the process he swept not only me, but my sons girlfriend, with a LOADED pistol....

so the son DECKED HIM. just cold cocked him. police came, arrested the guy. asked my son why...and everyone else spoke up and said that the guy swept the crowd, and it appeared he was actually pointing it at someone.....

this doofus lost his CHL, judge who signed it was actually there....and told my son when he is old enough to come see him and he would make sure he was taken care of...

just because you are trained does not mean others are

·
Registered
85 Posts
In Georgia,at all of the shows we go to they will zip-tie your action,but you can still carry. I believe it is up to the shows promotors. To many rookies or want to be's at a lot of shows. Safety first.

·
Registered
487 Posts
fangus said:
in michigan any venue that holds more than 2500 people you can't Carry
That's for an entertainment facility. Which means trade shows (viewed as commerce) don't fall under that 2500 rule so long as it's not at an entertainment facility.

In the state of Michigan, you can be arrested and charged for unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon, even if licensed, if you carry into any place which has "no concealed weapons" posted in obvious view. Matters not if it's, private, business, or not mentioned on restricted places; they have it posted that you can't carry... you can't carry.

·
Registered
144 Posts
vsorrentino said:

Please let me know.

Thanks
Believe it or not in Kalifornia with a Carry Permit you can carry. They want you to declare it but you can carry. There is a law (state) about not touching a loaded gun (or even ammunition and a gun at the same time) but according to the check in desk it doesn't apply to someone with a CCW.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
DesertPunisher425 said:
fangus said:
That's for an entertainment facility. Which means trade shows (viewed as commerce) don't fall under that 2500 rule so long as it's not at an entertainment facility.

In the state of Michigan, you can be arrested and charged for unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon, even if licensed, if you carry into any place which has "no concealed weapons" posted in obvious view. Matters not if it's, private, business, or not mentioned on restricted places; they have it posted that you can't carry... you can't carry.
wow, that is such a sh-tty law, actualy letting the public over ride state statues. I beleive you but I find that so hard to believe. I would think you could getyour ass kicked out of the place but arrested, just makes no sense. Oh well, I will do my best to stay out of komimichigan to then..

·
Registered
487 Posts
jocko said:
DesertPunisher425 said:
fangus said:

wow, that is such a sh-tty law, actually letting the public over ride state statues. I believe you but I find that so hard to believe. I would think you could get your ass kicked out of the place but arrested, just makes no sense. Oh well, I will do my best to stay out of komimichigan to then..

Yup, it is the way it is... But it's not that bad. It sounds bad, but it's not. Virtually all businesses are open for carry; they have zero liability, and the simple public awareness of the number of persons carrying isn't very high. People just don't give it much thought.

I can understand; Businesses are privately owned. As far as I'm concerned, it should be the business owner's right to determine who is allowed in their business (and I'm about to step on some toes... but this includes carrying a gun, race, color and creed). It isn't owned by the public, there for the person who owns the establishment should not be forced to offer their services to someone they don't want to. Not to say I support people being afraid of firearms, or racism or anything else, but it is YOUR business... not mine. I can choose to go to a competitor that doesn't mind serving white guys that carry guns if your business won't.

The state does have a preemption law, which several do not. No Gov. entity can make any laws or ordinances going above and or beyond the firearm laws of the state. So unlike many states where a city may ban concealed weapons when the state issues a permit, here in MI the city has to honor it, weather they like it or not. So that is a solid benefit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
DesertPunisher425 said:
I can understand; Businesses are privately owned. As far as I'm concerned, it should be the business owner's right to determine who is allowed in their business (and I'm about to step on some toes... but this includes carrying a gun, race, color and creed). It isn't owned by the public, there for the person who owns the establishment should not be forced to offer their services to someone they don't want to. Not to say I support people being afraid of firearms, or racism or anything else, but it is YOUR business... not mine. I can choose to go to a competitor that doesn't mind serving white guys that carry guns if your business won't.
I hear ya and somewhat agree... what the legal difference is that if you open a business, you are by default opening it to the public and therefore have to be open to ALL the public. If, on the other hand, you open up a Private Club, in some (if not most) states you can be selective as to who your club members are. That's why Augusta can still exclude women and only relatively recently brought in minority members. You club doesn't have to be what most people think of (golf, shooting, bar, etc)... it can be a grocery club, or clothing club... but no one would do that since there'd be no profit in that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In Richmond, VA, the local police are present at the entrance to inspect and zip tie all weapons prior to entering the show. No one is supposed to be in the building with a loaded weapon. That being said, I'm sure there's some fools walking around with one loaded. If they're ever caught, I honestly don't know what the penalty would be as there is no law in Virginia that specifically prohibits loaded weapons in a public place. Of course Virginia has a law that permits open carry in bars but not concealed carry. Go figure. Bob

·
Registered
487 Posts
Merlinspop said:
DesertPunisher425 said:
I hear ya and somewhat agree... what the legal difference is that if you open a business, you are by default opening it to the public and therefore have to be open to ALL the public. If, on the other hand, you open up a Private Club, in some (if not most) states you can be selective as to who your club members are. That's why Augusta can still exclude women and only relatively recently brought in minority members. You club doesn't have to be what most people think of (golf, shooting, bar, etc)... it can be a grocery club, or clothing club... but no one would do that since there'd be no profit in that.
Oh I fully understand the difference, which is why I also realize that by law, an business owner open to the public must be open to all public. I personally disagree with this, but I also understand the intent behind the law (in some locations certain persons would not be able to receive service ANYWHERE). It's truly a catch 22. But I always come back to the thought "it is your business and you SHOULD be able to serve or not serve whoever you want". Long story short, if someone doesn't want me carrying in their business, I'm sure I can find a competitor who will let me carry. If John's burger shack won't serve to white guys... I'm sure I can find someone who will. Downside is, where most businesses today would fail miserably if they posted a sign saying no whites, no blacks or whatever (some locations might be an exception)... but to post "no concealed weapons" isn't likely to have a large impact on profits. And you have to factor in that carrying a weapon is a choice the individual makes, where as their race or color is not; society as a whole sees it as being much easier to discriminate against a choice you make than a trait you are born with.

In the long run, if someone doesn't want me in their place of business for whatever reason... I'm fine with that; my money can go into someone else's pocket.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, I hear you and again, agree mostly. To take the specter of race out of it and give a topical example with a much larger segment of the population than CCW folks... take the recent spat of states enacting no smoking laws. In this case, business owners (mostly bars) are arguing that the law forces them to exclude customers. To deaf ears, of course.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Merlinspop said:
Yeah, I hear you and again, agree mostly. To take the specter of race out of it and give a topical example with a much larger segment of the population than CCW folks... take the recent spat of states enacting no smoking laws. In this case, business owners (mostly bars) are arguing that the law forces them to exclude customers. To deaf ears, of course.
A good point... but even that, there are valid arguments in both directions. Health risks from second hand smoke are fairly substantial, and smoking sections do little to actually contain the smoke. Of course, there are plenty of chain restaurants that don't allow smoking of their own accord, so you could go there instead and just leave it up to the establishments.

But most drinkers will want to smoke, so most bars will have smoking if left to their own devices... now what if I want a drink, should I have to endure smoke?
At the same rate... drinking is known to be bad for your health; so it's okay to get drunk, causing liver and stomach problems, and possibly get in your car, risking every one's lives and drive home... but it's not okay for someone to have a smoke with their beer?

It's a tough one, and I personally am unclear on where I'd draw the line between the business owner's right to run their business as they wish, and ensuring everyone has the same basic services available to them.

As far as the smoking issue goes; drinking and driving is illegal, so there SHOULDN'T be any effect on others by my having a drink. But if you're sitting next to me smoking, my health is being effected. I spent a little time in CA after they put the smoking ban into affect; I don't think the bars have a valid argument on banning smoking hurting their business. Everyone would be in the same boat, and people to go bars to have a drink and socialize, not smoke; the main driving factors are still there... they just have to step outside into the smoker's area now. Personally, I can deal with the smoking; I don't go to bars that often, and smoking has taken a downturn in the last decade or more. But I don't think the bars have a good argument on this one.

Of course, does anyone have a good argument on why you shouldn't be allowed to carry at a gun show? I would personally think, that's the LAST place someone would try doing something more stupid than normal. Of course when it comes right down to brass tacks... Other than Government buildings and airplanes/airports how many off limits locations really make sense? Someone hell bent on laying waste to 30 kids isn't going to get a CPL so he can get his pistol into the school. He'll just walk in and go to town. However, someone with ill-intentions (read: home-grown terrorist) could in theory, obtain a CPL allowing them to carry in gov. buildings (if they were not off-limits) which otherwise may have metal detectors at security check points stopping or at least slowing them down.

In the end, you could debate with pretty good effectiveness either for or against most of the more common laws pertaining to firearms which are currently on the books. Which I believe is why national gun control laws really have changed very little in the last 20+ years (Even the AWB was nothing more than smoke and mirrors for the most part). It's at a point now where the common sense legislation has gone about as far as it's going to go; the vast majority of the population feel laws are fine as-is.

Okay, I'm going to stop rambling and bordering on hi-jacking this thread!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hate to get in an argument with the punisher but in michigan you can only be charged with trespassing in a posted private business. and most if not all gun shows are in entertainment facilities

·
Registered
155 Posts
The majority of sports arenas are built by using your hard earned tax dollars and the government management leans towards no right of personal self protection for their citizens. This should make more people believing in the right of self protection to vote but the facts are only a minority of us vote. I guess when it gets really bad we might wake up and vote.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.