Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard polishing the feed ramp helps reliability and others say it's a good way to screw up the gun. I was looking in the Galloway products, at the triggers, and noticed they do a $50 tune up type thing where they lightly Polish the feed ramp, take down any burrs, etc. I was thinking about doing this, good idea or no? For the record, my lcp functions flawlessly so far out of the box, 200 rounds, no issues. Should I just leave it alone?

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Many folks who apparently don't really have a clue what they are doing have "polished" a pistol's feed ramp without really improving anything. They've still left tool marks across the feed ramp even though they have very slightly rounded the edges of the tool marks. Yes, they have put a shine on most of the feed ramp but since they have not done the preliminary work to actually remove the tool marks and then they used the wrong direction of motion for their polishing tool, their job is not doing what it should.

Without asking whoever might actually do the job exactly what would be done, I would not hire anyone to do such a job.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
If you use dirty ammo like Wolf or tula ammo you should polish the feed ramp. I use diamond ruge I get from a jewler and a dremil cloth buffing wheel. Buy doing this you will not change the inter grain structure of the ramp to interfear with any tool marks on the ramp by changing the hardness of the marks on the ramp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have polished the feed ramps on a number of my guns with no ill effect. I use a Dremel with polishing a polishing wheel and Flitz polish. You won't remove any metal but it will make is very smooth and shiny.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm new here, so I defer to other members. Having said that, if the gun's working well I wouldn't play with it.

I recently posted on a polishing job that I did. I took a chance because the gun wasn't functioning anyway (I wasn't going to make the situation worse). The polishing corrected the problems, but if it was running right initially I wouldn't have touched it.

As an aside, my professional experience has been that any modification to a firearm will be vigorously questioned if the thing is ever used against another person. YMMV.

Reactions: rpott3

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I've fed the lcp is white box and Remington umc, which it has digested all without a hiccup. The reason why I'm wondering about polishing the feed ramp is because several people have suggested to do so if I plan on using steel cased tulammo. I have a bunch of it but I'm scared to use it because one time I got a stove pipe (I think that's what it's called when the bullet gets stuck in the barrel). Anyway, it scared the crap out of me and I didn't know it was something that was fixable. Mind u, it was probably the gun, it was a $50 cobra, I ended up throwing it away thinking it was broke. I want to try the ammo so I might just use something light like tooth paste or turtle wax and stay away from the Dremel so there's no chance of messing anything up. Or I'll just leave it alone, load some tullamo and hope it works

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it is working, don't mess it up. On a decent gun the feed ramp will be milled smooth enough polishing doesn't accomplish anything other than making it shiny. Can you mess up a ramp? Probably not unless you are using stones. A Dremel, felt/cloth and rouge will take a really long time to remove enough metal to cause harm. Likewise, the barrel will get too hot to hold in your bare hand long before any heat damage will occur.

Some guns the ramp is part of the frame, not the barrel. 1911s come to mind. Frames can be made of many different materials, and will not be as hard as the barrel. I can see over enthusiastic polishing wrecking some of these.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If I were you, I'd go with brass cased ammo, make sure it runs with your chosen carry load, and call it good. If you do decide to polish the feed ramp - keep the direction of polishing in the same direction as feeding and extraction. You could use sandpaper in successively finer grits, rolled up, until it shines and offers no noticeable resistance to feeding. But seriously, it works as is, so there's probably no real need in my opinion. And you should be careful not to change the feed ramp angle or to take off metal except in the tiniest amounts - like polishing fine silver.

Stovepipe - a failure to eject (after extraction of case from chamber) which typically gets caught in the ejection port between breech face and barrel - looks like an actual "stove" exhaust pipe often enough. I would try the steel cased stuff (since you already have some) and see how well it does in your LCP. If the steel case stuff doesn't properly extract (spent casing still fully or partially in the chamber) it could be weak ammo, or the nature of steel to not expand and contract as smoothly as brass does. If it is not weak, yet has difficult extraction, the friction between steel case and chamber wall may be the issue, and polishing the inside of the chamber could help. I just don't know if I would take a proven working defensive pistol that works with proper brass cased defensive ammo and smith on it just for steel cased ammo use.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh ok, I guess what happened years ago want a stove pipe then. The bullet made a sizzling sound and kind of welded itself in the barrel half way. That's why I've been hesitant, but like I said, it probably was the cheap gun itself. Other people have been using Tullamo and it runs fine for them... Thanks for the advice everyone

·
Registered
493 Posts
Oh ok, I guess what happened years ago want a stove pipe then. The bullet made a sizzling sound and kind of welded itself in the barrel half way. That's why I've been hesitant, but like I said, it probably was the cheap gun itself. Other people have been using Tullamo and it runs fine for them... Thanks for the advice everyone
That sounds like a squib load - primer but no powder in the case. Bad ammo. A bullet lodged in the barrel is very dangerous because if the gun did cycle the next round, and you fired it into the blocked barrel, it could explode like a pipe bomb (glad you are ok).

So polishing is good, bad ammo is... bad ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I wouldn't let Galloway "tune up" my hammer or screwdriver. Den
I agree with Denny on this. In fact I wouldn't allow those folks to do anything to any of mine either. Polishing the ramp does not always do anything to improve function.

Reactions: miniman
1 - 15 of 15 Posts