Ruger Pistol Forums banner
2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  1917-1911M 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I purchased my LCP about 1.5 years ago for my wife. Starting out, the slide and the slide lock were very strong. My wife could not manage it. It shot ok. In fact I qualified for CCW with it. I talked to the gun shop where I purchased it. After briefly checking it, the owner admitted that it was indeed stiff but said that would get better with some use. Since then, we've put maybe 100 rounds through it. It is still very stiff. On the slide lock, I can use my fingernail directly under the lock and push it up with no problem. But when I use my thumb, as per the design, pushing in and up, it is definitely binding on something. . Each time I've used and cleaned it, I've worked it and the rack hundreds of times hoping to loosen it some but to no avail. Then the last time, after cleaning, it took about 10 minutes to get the slide back into place. It was hitting something, but I could not tell what. But after manipulating it for 10 minutes it magically went on finally. Then, I inserted the magazine filled with Hornady JHP. I racked the slide and the round got stuck before chambering. I had to jiggle the rack several times before the round chambered. It did that three times in row. I've become displeased with the gun and wondered if anyone else has had any of these problems.

Thanks for any input.

See less See more
#3 ·
I would call Ruger, and tell customer service the problem you are having. If it needs to be sent back they will tell you their procedure on sending it back for repairs.

#4 ·
Welcome ItchyZ, The pull required to hand cycle my slide hasn't changed in years. I'm not so sure about this breaking in. The slide stop lever is a simple affair, one piece of steel sliding up and down in a slot on the left side of the frame. The inner portion acts as the ejector also. There is a simple spring wire that hold it down. I'd pull the grip and have a look if it were mine. Perhaps very lightly break some of the edges with a fine stone or 600 grit emery paper. Clean and re-oil making sure the part worked up and down smoothly. If the part is catching on the slide or something have a very close look to see if you can see where it is hitting, shiny spot or something.

When you pull the slide off is the inner spring installed properly? Is there an unusual amount of gouging of the rod like the inner spring has gotten past the muzzle cup and is pinched between slide and guide rod. If you can't sort it out....probably best to contact Ruger. good luck with it. M1911

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.