Ruger Pistol Forums banner

First time feeling uneasy carrying

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  96GTS 
#1 ·
After all the discussions lately about carrying with one in the pipe, I was convinced, so I started carrying that way. Anyways, I went to my Cousins house today to visit, He and his wife recently had Triplets :eek:YES TRIPLETS, They are about a year old now and I was playing with them, sitting on the couch with them on my lap.Elsie was in my front pocket. So knowing how one year olds are, they dont sit still, they were pretty much jumping on me and Elsie. I have played with them before with elsie in my pocket, just not having one in the pipe. So, after having a million thoughts running through my head, I couldnt take it anymore, went into the bathroom and ejected the chambered round out. Went back out to baby land and had a ball ;D Has anyone else experienced this or something similiar, Or is it because Im pretty much new to carrying with one chambered that it bothered me ??? Sorry for the long post. Thanks Rob

#3 ·
Assuming the pistol was in a holster that completely covered the trigger guard, and the holster was specifically designed for the LCP so it maintained good retention of the pistol at all times, there was nothing to worry about. An infant bouncing on your lap is not going to set off a pistol.

Having said that, if you felt uncomfortable, fixing the problem rather than waiting to see whether your fears were warranted was definitely the best thing to do. Much better to find out after the fact "all was well" than to find out tragically that it wasn't.

G
#5 ·
I think you did the right thing by unloading. You didn't feel comfortable, and that's reason enough. Although the chances of a unintended discharge is very low, I would hope that no responsible gun owner would feel comfortable with a small child sitting on a loaded weapon. I trust I could drop a loaded J-frame off a building and run it over with a dump truck and it wouldn't fire. But I still wouldn't point it at someone unless I was willing to pull the trigger.

One of the most important rules I learned as a kid in hunters safety class and again in the military is to always keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction. Concealed carry is no different. Regardless of the method of carry, one should always maintain control over where the muzzle is pointed, especially if there's one in the chamber.

#7 ·
You did good ;)

After you left did you rack it up again, or did you decide to go back to carrying w/ the pipe empty?

#9 ·
You did the right thing. With that said, many years ago when I was a child of the age you stated. I had a Uncle that was a State Trooper. My Grandmother had a rule. When the Grand kids were around and he came to visit, his sidearm was to be placed unloaded on the shelf in the closet. This same Uncle was the first person who taught me to shoot when I was older.

#10 ·
96GTS said:
You did good ;)

After you left did you rack it up again, or did you decide to go back to carrying w/ the pipe empty?
No, right before we left, I went back into the washroom and loaded back up ;) by the way, It was holstered in a DeSantis Nemisis

#11 ·
An NYPD officer who normally stored his gun in a lockbox had just moved to a new house. Pending installation of his lock box, he kept his duty gun on top of the refrigerator. His young son's new friend found it and playfully shot his son dead. The NYPD cop was actually considered for criminal prosecution but the DA declined.

Just a suggestion but you got to keep them locked up, specially with young boys around. I have a lockbox in my house, my car trunk and in my 5th wheel trailer.

My 9 year old boy is about as gun proof as can be, but his buddies aren't.

#12 ·
HB Phil said:
My 9 year old boy is about as gun proof as can be, but his buddies aren't.
Good point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.