Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I got my LCP March 28th and only got to shoot it yesterday. It was given to me by my brother, unfired, along with a box of Hornady 90gr Z-Max. I have two magazines, both Ruger, though one is Italian and one American. I've (stupidly) been carrying it, loaded with Z-Max, before I had a chance to test it out.

I went to an indoor range and bought 100rnds of reloaded 100gr ball (Great Lakes Ammo) to try along with the Z-Max. I first loaded the two mags with the FMJ and started shooting at 10ft. I was surprised how accurate the pistol was and how light it recoiled. :) It functioned flawlessly in those 12 rounds.

Next I loaded up 12 rounds of the Z-Max. After my very first shot I got a failure-to-feed, which required a gentle tap on the slide to chamber. The same thing happened on my second shot. The last 4 rounds cycled fine. I loaded another mag, and got another failure-to-feed on the third round, though I had to drop the mag and rack the slide to clear it. The nose of the cartridge was totally crushed, but I didn't see anything that would be unsafe, so I handloaded the cartridge and fired it. I loaded the magazine back in and fired the remaining 3 rounds with no other problems.

I set the Z-Max aside and started shooting the ball again. I fired another 55 rounds of the Great Lakes with no problems. It was easy to control the pistol and hit center-mass on my silhouette target up to 20ft, with one hand and two. My time ran out before I could finish my ammo. I fired 79 rounds total, 12 Z-Max and 67 Great Lakes FMJ, with three failures-to-feed with the Z-Max. The FMJ was flawless.

Overall I was impressed with the LCP. I've heard so-so things about the Z-Max (and Critical Defense, which is the same thing) so I'm not too surprised it doesn't function in my pistol; I certainly don't hold it against the LCP. I've since loaded my magazines with the Great Lakes ball ammo to carry instead of the Z-Max, and I'm fine with that until I find a defensive JHP that cycles.

The pistol was much easier to shoot than I originally anticipated. My brother and godfather were with me, both brought their own guns (a CZ 75 B and Beretta M9, respectively) and my LCP was by far the most fun. With the price of range ammo ($16.99/50 opposed to $21.99/50 for 9x19mm) it might just become my new range favorite gun until the ammo craze dies down. :glee: Props to Ruger.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You're gonna love your new LCP. It's without a doubt the handiest handgun I've ever owned. As far as the feeding issue goes you could polish the feed ramp and that would probably solve the HP feeding issue. Or just carry the ball ammo (FMJ) in it. A lot of very knowledgeable people recommend only using FMJ in a .380 anyway for the lack of penetration issue the .380 caliber has with HP ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're gonna love your new LCP. It's without a doubt the handiest handgun I've ever owned. As far as the feeding issue goes you could polish the feed ramp and that would probably solve the HP feeding issue. Or just carry the ball ammo (FMJ) in it. A lot of very knowledgeable people recommend only using FMJ in a .380 anyway for the lack of penetration issue the .380 caliber has with HP ammo.
Thanks, I already do. :wink-new: I've been meaning to polish the feed ramp but haven't gotten around to it. I'll might continue carrying FMJ anyway after looking at some .380 JHP tests.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Good range report. I've been running Speer Gold Dots 380 90 Grain GDHP through mine for about 3 years now with no problems or polishing. I prefer hollow point ammunition despite what the folks in Geneva think. I want something that's not going to zip right through, but start spreading upon impact, with about 7 inches of penetration. FMJs will go right through, unless appropriately placed and the recipient will have some time left before he finally gets around to bleeding out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good range report. I've been running Speer Gold Dots 380 90 Grain GDHP through mine for about 3 years now with no problems or polishing. I prefer hollow point ammunition despite what the folks in Geneva think. I want something that's not going to zip right through, but start spreading upon impact, with about 7 inches of penetration. FMJs will go right through, unless appropriately placed and the recipient will have some time left before he finally gets around to bleeding out.
I've always liked Gold Dots, it's good to hear they run reliably without polishing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm curious why you referenced Geneva and HPs? Are you referring to The Hague Convention and the St Petersburg Declaration prohibition on HOs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
+1 Speer Gold Dots 380 90 Grain GDHP! I have been using this as my carry ammo in the LCP. Super reliable and accurate enough for me! No FTF or FTE...in fact, my LCP has eaten anything I've put through her without issue: WWB, Privi ball, some wolf ball, Federals, etc. Love the gun!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I put 7 Speer Gold Dot 90 Grain GDHPs and 7 Winchester 380 95 Grain slugs through mine today. The Gold Dots were in the Ruger LCP and took a little swim in a lake summer. I dried them off and kept them for a future range trip. They worked just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts