Ruger Pistol Forums banner

feeding problems???

9K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  jocko 
#1 ·
Now that there is a forum just for the lcp, How many others had feeding problems with their new ruger? It would jamb on the final bullet everytime. After contacting Ruger, and a new barrel later its fine. Just wondering??

#5 ·
Jams at least once on every mag.............. with five different brands/type of ammo........... Ruger replaced the barrel, same problem, they have now requested that I send them the complete pistol.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Right now I'm thinking it may simply be the proverbial "lemon", particularly with all the reports of "no problems" whatsoever.........

#6 ·
I had a kind of nasty FTF during the 50 rounds through my LCP so far. The cartridge jammed tight about halfway into the chamber. Couldn't get the slide to move forward or back. Finally got the slide to go back a little, released it, and the round fed. I was shooting WWB.

Contacted Ruger about it and they said to lube the frame rails (which I'd already done) and the rear of the extractor, where the extractor plunger is.

Now I need to go back to the range and try it again.

#7 ·
RobR369 said:
Now that there is a forum just for the lcp, How many others had feeding problems with their new ruger? It would jamb on the final bullet everytime. After contacting Ruger, and a new barrel later its fine. Just wondering??
Yep, had the same problem with the same fix. New barrel=problem solved :)
Regards,
Mike

#8 ·
Manufacturing any mechanical product like the LCP at the price point they choose will involve tradeoffs in process and quality control. In general, I think they have chosen wisely given the huge quantity delivered vs. the reported difficulties in delivered product. If you are unlucky enough to have received a unit where the accumulation of tolerances cause it to be unreliable, I think you owe it to yourself to send it back to Ruger for rework. It was designed and manufactured to be reliable. Unless you are a gunsmith or just want it as a toy, let them bring it to the reliability required for EDC that you deserve.

#9 ·
I initially had a few feeding problems with a box of Magtech FMJ. I used some Flitz and a Q-Tip on the feed ramp and roof of the chamber and they diminished considerably. Next I made a concious effort to grip the LCP VERY firmly and the FTF's disappeared completely. I did not have to do this with Federal or R-P FMJ's but the Magtechs are the cheapest ammo around here so I wanted them to shoot reliably.
Best Regards,
ADP3

#13 ·
Hog Rider said:
In my humble opinion, when you buy a brand new pistol, from a reputable arms manufacturer, you shouldn't have to do a damn thing but shoot it................!
Let's do a little expectation calibration exercise. All manufacturers strive to have their product 100% defect free. However, the world seldom cooperates to allow this. To take defect rates from 99.9% to 99.99% it may require 2 times the manufacturing cost. Most modern manufacturing works hard to get a 99.9% or better defect rate. There are many processes that are at 99.9999%, especially where lives are at stake. And consumers pay for it. Anyone bought medicine lately?

99.9% may not be the rate when a product begins manufacture, but process changes are continuously made to improve it. Sometimes parts are redesigned to help this effort. If Ruger meets their goal of 100,000 units the first year, then a 99.9% defect rate would still let 100 out that may fail early. Doubling the MSRP would provide more funds for Ruger to invest in process and quality control. Any here think that is a worthwhile trade off?

#15 ·
HowardCohodas said:
Hog Rider said:
In my humble opinion, when you buy a brand new pistol, from a reputable arms manufacturer, you shouldn't have to do a damn thing but shoot it................!
If Ruger meets their goal of 100,000 units the first year, then a 99.9% defect rate would still let 100 out that may fail early.

And, the fact that they sold me one of the .1% that failed is what ticks me off............ if they would have sold me one of the other ones, I'd be just as statistically happy as you seem to be.

And, it didn't fail "early", it failed out of the box.

#16 ·
Hog Rider said:
And, the fact that they sold me one of the .1% that failed is what pisses me off............ if they would have sold me one of the other ones, I'd be just as statistically happy as you seem to be.

And, it didn't fail "early", it failed out of the box.
If we reread the analysis, there is actually a practical way for you to improve your chances by 10x. Although you can't ask Ruger to double the price so that they can modify their processes to reduce the chances by 10x, you can buy two at the same time and accomplish the same result. 8)

#17 ·
Well you talk about bad luck, I managed to buy 2 of the .01% LCP's that did not work initially. Both had feed problems. However, I am a happy man. Both were returned to Ruger--had barrels repaired and extractors replaced---now they work like a champ. Took an extra month to become one of the 99.99% but now I'm one of them.

#18 ·
mroid said:
Well you talk about bad luck, I managed to buy 2 of the .01% LCP's that did not work initially. Both had feed problems. However, I am a happy man. Both were returned to Ruger--had barrels repaired and extractors replaced---now they work like a champ. Took an extra month to become one of the 99.99% but now I'm one of them.
No doubt the lcp had some early growing pains, but it so seems that lately they have solved those pains. Sure we are going to have some issues yet. Some can even be self induced issues from limping a gun etc. I have never been a fan of blaming limping for a guns problems but it can happen with these lite weight guns. If in doubt and you are having some FTF issue etc. Just let another good shooter try your lcp. If he has no issues. You have solved the problem. it is u. If he has the same issues, it is the lcp and give Ruger a call. Mine was one of the first 2500 made and I have had zero issues with it. over 1350 rounds through it and they have been perfect. But I did someprep work after shooting it right out of the box to, when I finally cleaned it. I polished the feed ramp and chamber to a mirror finish. ( I do that to ever semi I own to, so the ruger was no exception). Before I even took my lcp out, I just set there with the magazine out and racke dths dlie about 500 times as fast as I could. This is almost as good as going bang 500 times but without the expense. Damn thing just goes bang every time,nothing more to say.

Oh by the way a good friend of mine on the kt forum who is also a moderator bought one of the first 250 made and he owns a shooting range. He told me he was going to shoot it and let anyone shoot it until it broke. He posted on the kt forum awhile back that he finally had to send the gun in for major service AFTER 42,000 ROUNDS. He kept full documentation of ammo usage for it and provided
it to Ruger. Who said they are a gun to shoot seldom and carry often. ???

#19 ·
IMO, one topic hasn't been discussed. It's hard to blame Ruger for milling their barrels to conform to "most" brand name ammo.

If you have a caliper, measure the case length and diameter of 8 or 10 different brands of .380acp. You'll find Magtech, Corbon and couple others have longer cases than Winchester, S&B or Federal. If ALL manufacturers would adhere to the same specs this "barrel" problem wouldn't exist. Let's give Ruger a break on this one.

#20 ·
Magnum Mikie said:
IMO, one topic hasn't been discussed. It's hard to blame Ruger for milling their barrels to conform to "most" brand name ammo.

If you have a caliper, measure the case length and diameter of 8 or 10 different brands of .380acp. You'll find Magtech, Corbon and couple others have longer cases than Winchester, S&B or Federal. If ALL manufacturers would adhere to the same specs this "barrel" problem wouldn't exist. Let's give Ruger a break on this one.
probably half right in that assumption IMO. My Corbon dpx rounds feed perfectly along with their powerball , but the corbon 90 gr. hp didn't in alot of the lcp. I have never shot the 90 grain hp corbon, as I find the dpx and the golden sabra and powerballs to work perfect and of those 3 defense rounds, any one pleases me. Ruger is throating their barrels alittle deeper now to accomadate . Hats off to ruger, they could have said like some gun mfg-ers have said. "don't shot yadda yadda rounds".

#21 ·
Yo Jocko, if your post is implying that my issues where with me limp-wristing you would be off the mark. A.) I know what I am doing and was not limp wristing it and B.) I did have others shoot them (people who were also interested in buying a LCP) and they had the same problems. Don't get me wrong, I always had faith in these little guns and I knew Ruger would get them right, which they did. It just took a little extra TLC on there part to get it to work. I really don't think it is the gun buyers responsibility to fluff & buffy these things initially straight out of the box.. Especially after shilling out about 3 1/2 bills for it. Name something else that you buy "brand new" and then you have to fix before you can use it. It is just not a normal way of doing things.You wouldn't buy a car brand new and have it towed to your house so you can fix it, right.

#23 ·
mroid said:
Yo Jocko, if your post is implying that my issues where with me limp-wristing you would be off the mark. A.) I know what I am doing and was not limp wristing it and B.) I did have others shoot them (people who were also interested in buying a LCP) and they had the same problems. Don't get me wrong, I always had faith in these little guns and I knew Ruger would get them right, which they did. It just took a little extra TLC on there part to get it to work. I really don't think it is the gun buyers responsibility to fluff & buffy these things initially straight out of the box.. Especially after shilling out about 3 1/2 bills for it. Name something else that you buy "brand new" and then you have to fix before you can use it. It is just not a normal way of doing things.You wouldn't buy a car brand new and have it towed to your house so you can fix it, right.
If u read my post "properly" I never accused you of limping. I think I even stated that limping is an over used term to blame the shooter when it is the gun problem. I merely stated a quick way to check to see if limping is possable. Fluff and buff is not needed, again I think I stated I do it to all my guns. You can do what ever you feel is correct. I DO KNOW that most of the time when a gun is sent back that the company will fluff and buff the feed ramp, . Why they don't do it better at the factory is beyond me but ihurts nothing and sure could save a lot of waisted time boxing up a gun and sending it back. Your issues might indeed be even worse and may indeed require factory attention. Best thing for you was to send it back and let Ruger fix it right for you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.