Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reported in the "AMMO CACHE" forum that Federal has come out with a .22 Rimfire Defense Round.
Got me very interested, as the post stated it was available, so I went to see. Here's what I found:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will certainly buy some, so if anyone finds where it's available, please post that info here.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been reading about that as well, and most definately purchase some when I get the chance. I have many firearm's. Adding another line of defense is just smart. If for some reason years down the road, the only gun I can shoot is the 22.cal they so be it. I can shoot a LCR22 very proficiently as I have shot that gun for years. 8 fast shots to the face, neck and chest would wreck anyone's day. I hope to see more test done with this ammo. It is like powerful, multiple stabs with a Ice Pick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I lucked out and bought a few boxes from the Federal website after first hearing about the Punch ammo. It looks promising. I'll test some for accuracy and then keep it in a magazine of two for my carry pistol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went with the CCI , Browning , Winchester offerings in 40 grain Copper Plated Hollow Points @ 1435 FPS they are the fastest most accurate 40 grain copper plated hollow points on the market , they hit hard penetrate deep and leave a nice wound channel , I have taken 300 & 400 pound feral hogs with this ammo with head shots out to 100 yards but majority of them were 50 to 75 yards . I have taken Coyotes with shoulder shots at 100 yards. I believe these would perform well for .22 LR close quarters self defense handgun delivering multiple shots to the Head Neck or Torso of an attacker. In my opinion the Velocity and Weight of the .22 LR 40 grain copper plated hollow point bullet would perform better than the Federal Punch 29 grain flat point bullet at 1070 fps but that said I think federal Punch 29 grain flat point at 1070 in close quarters with a shot to the head neck torso would be just as deadly as the 40 grain Hollow point .I just like Faster Heavier Bullets for self defense in the .22 LR .

·
Registered
512 Posts
As noted from the video the 1070 fps is from a 2" barrel... rifle velocity is aprox. 1600 + fps. Faster burning powder is needed to get that speed from a 2" barrel. Good for Federal. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As noted from the video the 1070 fps is from a 2" barrel... rifle velocity is aprox. 1600 + fps. Faster burning powder is needed to get that speed from a 2" barrel. Good for Federal. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
For some reason, that just doesn't read right for me. I'm not aware of, at least from my experience, found any of my frequent visitors who carry a .22 rimfire self defence pistol, or revolver, with a 2-inch barrel. Might be someone out there who feels safe with carrying a Jennings .22 pistol, but I'm not aware of any reason to upset some bad guy when he finally realises that he's been shot several hours afterward. But, then again, I'm not a "marketing agent".
CCI and Federal are both offering some very interesting .22 rimfire ammunition lately with light (29grain) bullets and indeed, faster burning powders for pistol barrel lengths, and also slower burning powders for longer range rifle shooters to enjoy. So, I'm also looking forward to getting a brick of that ammunition for testing myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts