Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the many unending arguments on the "internet-web" concerning whether anyone in their right mind would carry a .22 pistol or revolver to be used as a defense round, should the situation, God forbid, ever arises when one would need to protect themselves from some miscreant.
Must be why Federal has "enticed" customers by labeling a new .22 rimfire round as the "Punch". But then again, they also have that handle on a new 9mm Lugar round, where the punch just might be a bit more effective.
Clint Smith from "Thunder Ranch" training institute has said in the past, "Carry what you have until something better becomes available" . I suppose that might include a .22 firearm. After all, shoot any two legged or four legged critter in the head with a .22 bullet squarely enough and the fight will end before it begins. The internet is chock full of "stories" and dreams of shooters sitting on top of an elevated platform with wheels whereby they drive around and shoot feral hogs weighing up to 80 pounds five or six times in the head until the poor critter finally expires. Not sure if Boone & Crocket have condoned that activity as yet for record keeping, but this Inuit lady, sure did do quite well with her 13 or 14 shots into
"Smokey the Bear". Maybe she used those "Stanger" rounds from CCI ?:
Bella Twin, the .22 Used to Take the 1953 World Record Grizzly, and More

·
Premium Member
My favorite firearm will always be my Ruger Standard with sights painted white by my grandfather
72 Posts
“Now standing in one corner of a boxing ring with a .22 caliber Colt automatic pistol, shooting a bullet weighing only 40 grains and with a striking energy of 51 foot pounds at 25 feet from the muzzle, I will guarantee to kill either Gene Tunney or Joe Louis before they get to me from the opposite corner. This is the smallest caliber pistol cartridge made; but it is also one of the most accurate and easy to hit with, since the pistol has no recoil. I have killed many horses with it, cripples and bear baits, with a single shot, and what will kill a horse will kill a man. I have hit six dueling silhouettes in the head with it at regulation distance in five seconds. It was this type of pistol that Millen boys’ colleague, Abe Faber, did all his killings with. Yet this same pistol bullet fired at point blank range will not dent a grizzly’s skull, and to shoot a grizzly with a .22 caliber pistol would simply be one way of committing suicide”
– Ernest Hemingway

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tested some Punch today with my Walther P 22 and I'm impressed.

I also tested with CCI-Stingers to see the comparison. The Stingers produced a large flame when set off but Punch produced tighter grips. All shots were in the 9 - 10 ring at 10 yards shooting off-hand.

I think Punch will fill my magazines should I need to carry the P 22.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I also tested with CCI-Stingers to see the comparison. The Stingers produced a large flame when set off but Punch produced tighter grips. All shots were in the 9 - 10 ring at 10 yards shooting off-hand.

I have carried a Smith 351C 22 magnum revolver for several years now. It’s 13oz lightweight when loaded with 7rds allows me to carry it with any clothing even in summer. Have never felt under gunned. The Mag with FMJ bullets will penetrate what it needs to without over penetration concerns. Repeat shots are quick and accurate.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have carried a Smith 351C 22 magnum revolver for several years now. It’s 13oz lightweight when loaded with 7rds allows me to carry it with any clothing even in summer. Have never felt under gunned. The Mag with FMJ bullets will penetrate what it needs to without over penetration concerns. Repeat shots are quick and accurate.
The .22 Magnum round is quite a step up from even the CCI Stinger. I've used my .22 Magnum Ruger 77/22 for fox and raccoons, and DRT one shot kills are not uncommon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I see the many unending arguments on the "internet-web" concerning whether anyone in their right mind would carry a .22 pistol or revolver to be used as a defense round, should the situation, God forbid, ever arises when one would need to protect themselves from some miscreant.
Must be why Federal has "enticed" customers by labeling a new .22 rimfire round as the "Punch". But then again, they also have that handle on a new 9mm Lugar round, where the punch just might be a bit more effective.
Clint Smith from "Thunder Ranch" training institute has said in the past, "Carry what you have until something better becomes available" . I suppose that might include a .22 firearm. After all, shoot any two legged or four legged critter in the head with a .22 bullet squarely enough and the fight will end before it begins. The internet is chock full of "stories" and dreams of shooters sitting on top of an elevated platform with wheels whereby they drive around and shoot feral hogs weighing up to 80 pounds five or six times in the head until the poor critter finally expires. Not sure if Boone & Crocket have condoned that activity as yet for record keeping, but this Inuit lady, sure did do quite well with her 13 or 14 shots into
"Smokey the Bear". Maybe she used those "Stanger" rounds from CCI ?:
This Feral Hog was 275 Pounds and was dropped with one shot to the head at 70 yards over bait from on top of an 25' elevated Ladder Stand with the CCI Velocitor 40 grain copper plated Hollow point .22 LR fired from a 18.5 " barreled Ruger 10 / 22 rifle at 1435 FPS this round has proven itself very effective on Large Boar & Coyotes . Boone & Crocket has nothing to do with Feral Hogs or Wild Boar no dreams evolved Dennis ! I would like to try out this Punch ammo on Hogs & Coyotes out of my Ruger 10/22 Rifle and see how it performs on Coyotes & Hogs it should be even faster out of the 18.5 Rifle Barrel.

THE COYOTE BELOW WAS HIT IN THE HEAD AT 100 YARDS AND DROPPED LIKE A STONE WITH A .22 LR CCI 40 GRAIN VELOCITOR.

Reactions: IndigoWolf

·
Registered
169 Posts
SGW GUNSMITH SAID " The internet is chock full of "stories" and dreams of shooters sitting on top of an elevated platform with wheels whereby they drive around and shoot feral hogs weighing up to 80 pounds five or six times in the head until the poor critter finally expires. "
"but this Inuit lady, sure did do quite well with her 13 or 14 shots into "Smokey the Bear". Maybe she used those "Stanger" rounds from CCI ?: "

SGW GUNSMITH It only takes one shot placed to the head of Feral Hogs to kill them clean in the you tube video the wound is examined and its just one .22 Hole. NOT FIVE OR SIX .22 HOLES like you claim.
SGW If you did read the article about Bella Twin she brought down a world record grizzly bear that cornered her while hunting rabbits she shot the bear once in the head with a .22 bring it down ! She then put several more shots into its head after to make sure it was in fact dead and not just stunned.
Looking at the skull every round entered the bears brain .SGW Makes lite of her accomplishments like he does to others on this forum & other forums he was booted off of.

Photos below are Proof of the Lethality of the .22 Long Rifle Rim Fire Cartridge on Large Wild Animals . I have put down 300 & 400 Pound Wild Boar with the .22 Long Rifle Rim Fire as well as a Benjamin Prowler .22 caliber pellet rifle Air gun at 30 Yards I put down a 75-100 pound Wild Boar .I would have no problem with a .22 LR for Rimfire for self defense it remains to be a Lethal round regardless what the narrow minded scoffers say. Anyone who thinks they could take a .22 LR rimfire round to the head neck or torso and just walk away or continue a fight is just an Idiot .

THIS WILD BOAR Below WAS KILLED AT 25-30 YARDS WITH A .22 CALIBER BENJAMIN PROWLER AIR RIFLE THE PELLET WAS 14.3 Grains at about 850fps or less IT ONLY TOOK ONE SHOT TO IT BRING DOWN IT KICKED IT'S REAR LEGS AND EXPIRED IN SECONDS.

This 275 Pound Wild Boar below was killed at 70 yards with a Ruger 10 /22 shooting a CCI 40 Grain Velocitor copper plated hollow at 1435 fps
it only took one .22LR shot to bring it down .It did not kick it went straight down and did not twitch.

PROOF THE .22LR IS DEADLY ON LARGE ANIMALS AT CLOSE TO MEDIUM RANGE. BUT THEN SGW IS NOT OUT THERE SHOOTING THESE BEASTS AND PROBERLY NEVER HAS !

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
]

I have a brick of the .22 Punch on order from Federal that they've been selling direct from their on-line store for quite some time now. It will be interesting doing actual penetration tests with the .22 Punch ammunition using a 29 grain bullet.
I don't shoot wet newspaper, milk cartons filled with water or that ballistic gelatin, being too costly and messy to deal with, so I'll stick with what I like best to test these rounds once they arrive for penetration to satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
169 Posts
]

I have a brick of the .22 Punch on order from Federal that they've been selling direct from their on-line store for quite some time now. It will be interesting doing actual penetration tests with the .22 Punch ammunition using a 29 grain bullet.
I don't shoot wet newspaper, milk cartons filled with water or that ballistic gelatin, being too costly and messy to deal with, so I'll stick with what I like best to test these rounds once they arrive for penetration to satisfy my curiosity.
We shall see !

·
Registered
16 Posts
SGW GUNSMITH SAID " The internet is chock full of "stories" and dreams of shooters sitting on top of an elevated platform with wheels whereby they drive around and shoot feral hogs weighing up to 80 pounds five or six times in the head until the poor critter finally expires. "
"but this Inuit lady, sure did do quite well with her 13 or 14 shots into "Smokey the Bear". Maybe she used those "Stanger" rounds from CCI ?: "

SGW GUNSMITH It only takes one shot placed to the head of Feral Hogs to kill them clean in the you tube video the wound is examined and its just one .22 Hole. NOT FIVE OR SIX .22 HOLES like you claim.
SGW If you did read the article about Bella Twin she brought down a world record grizzly bear that cornered her while hunting rabbits she shot the bear once in the head with a .22 bring it down ! She then put several more shots into its head after to make sure it was in fact dead and not just stunned.
Looking at the skull every round entered the bears brain .SGW Makes lite of her accomplishments like he does to others on this forum & other forums he was booted off of.

Photos below are Proof of the Lethality of the .22 Long Rifle Rim Fire Cartridge on Large Wild Animals . I have put down 300 & 400 Pound Wild Boar with the .22 Long Rifle Rim Fire as well as a Benjamin Prowler .22 caliber pellet rifle Air gun at 30 Yards I put down a 75-100 pound Wild Boar .I would have no problem with a .22 LR for Rimfire for self defense it remains to be a Lethal round regardless what the narrow minded scoffers say. Anyone who thinks they could take a .22 LR rimfire round to the head neck or torso and just walk away or continue a fight is just an Idiot .

THIS WILD BOAR Below WAS KILLED AT 25-30 YARDS WITH A .22 CALIBER BENJAMIN PROWLER AIR RIFLE THE PELLET WAS 14.3 Grains at about 850fps or less IT ONLY TOOK ONE SHOT TO IT BRING DOWN IT KICKED IT'S REAR LEGS AND EXPIRED IN SECONDS.

This 275 Pound Wild Boar below was killed at 70 yards with a Ruger 10 /22 shooting a CCI 40 Grain Velocitor copper plated hollow at 1435 fps
it only took one .22LR shot to bring it down .It did not kick it went straight down and did not twitch.

PROOF THE .22LR IS DEADLY ON LARGE ANIMALS AT CLOSE TO MEDIUM RANGE. BUT THEN SGW IS NOT OUT THERE SHOOTING THESE BEASTS AND PROBERLY NEVER HAS !
Try and remember that everyone has an opinion, and it is just that, an opinion. Your results work for you. Be happy with that. No need to try and convince the rest of the world, because that rarely ever happens. People many times tend to believe what they want regardless of the data provided! IMHO.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try and remember that everyone has an opinion, and it is just that, an opinion. Your results work for you. Be happy with that. No need to try and convince the rest of the world, because that rarely ever happens. People many times tend to believe what they want regardless of the data provided! IMHO.
GEEEZ! Thanks so very much for your unrequested opinion about what I should remember:

·
Registered
169 Posts
My opinion on the Federal Punch Ammo & CCI Velocitor is favorable for Hunting / Survival / Self Defense Ammo.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I haven't actually tested any of this ammunition as yet, but hope to soon as I just received the brick I ordered. What did your testing involve and do you have any velocities or pictures of groups shot that you could post?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't actually tested any of this ammunition as yet, but hope to soon as I just received the brick I ordered. What did your testing involve and do you have any velocities or pictures of groups shot that you could post?
I will hold my breath waiting for an impartial test !

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have only seen 2 boar 1 sow 10 piglets on the trail camera and when they are gone I pulled the root on the Hogs on this Property with over 400 taken since last August , I have pulled the root on the coyotes with a total of 52 and none remaining on trail cameras.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts