Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it took a bit of time to catch when these were in stock at Federal, but I finally received a brick of these rounds:

Federal has changed the head-stamp on these rounds and they did arrive in 50 count plastic boxes. The bullets are silver coated, and if we go by the advertising, they are allegedly nickel plated, they also have a flat nose on these 29 grain bullets, with a muzzle velocity of 1080 FPS.

So, these will make for some interesting testing out of both rifles and handguns, especially to see how they feed from the magazine in the semi-auto firearms.

I've already done some extensive testing of the newly introduced CCI Mini-Mags in the Target and Varmint style, with some very surprising results. Probably wouldn't get much interest here though.

·
Premium Member
My favorite firearm will always be my Ruger Standard with sights painted white by my grandfather
72 Posts
It's a sound concept – penetration with zero expansion to promote a wound channel to the vital sone from so relatively weak a cartridge. That MV is only from a 2" barrel. Out of a rifle I believe it should be significantly faster than 1,500 fps. I'm interested to see your results.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's a sound concept – penetration with zero expansion to promote a wound channel to the vital zone from so relatively weak a cartridge. That MV is only from a 2" barrel. Out of a rifle I believe it should be significantly faster than 1,500 fps. I'm interested to see your results.
I am impressed here is 3 reasons why

After reviewing I purchased a brick of the punch ammo and I have it loaded in all my .22 Revolvers and semi auto handguns I am sure delivering multiple hits on a Human target at 0 - 7 yards would prove fatal in any case of self defense. But the CCI Velocitor is my preferred choice for Hunting.& Defense with a .22 LR Rifle.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a sound concept – penetration with zero expansion to promote a wound channel to the vital sone from so relatively weak a cartridge. That MV is only from a 2" barrel. Out of a rifle I believe it should be significantly faster than 1,500 fps. I'm interested to see your results.
CCI & Federal have been doing some great work with .22 rimfire working with powder burn rates that benefit handgun and also rifle shooters doing long range work.
I'm a bit dubious concerning that sort of velocity from a 2-inch barrel myself, and the only handgun that's languishing around the display case here, is a North American Arms mini revolver. Still though, I will chronograph some of these rounds from both a 26 & 27 inch barreled bolt action rifle to see for myself as to how fast that 29 grain plated bullet actually flies.
It would be nice to see reviews and pictures from others who claim to do reviews also.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I still think 29 Grain is too lite but have had great success with the CCI Velocitor 40 grain copper plated hollow point and the 2 offerings of the same velocity of 1435 fps by Browning , Winchester . I would like to see a 45 grain HP at 1435 fps . I ordered a brick of 29 grain punch ammo and keep my .22 LR revolvers and Ruger LCP II .22 loaded with it for self defense.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully, this week I'll get to some "legitimate and truthful" velocity testing out back. I continue to look for other "reviews" with targets and even pictures taken by others, but that's being proven more and more as turning out to be a FARCE of a source for any worthwhile reviews or NEW information. The "IGNORE BUTTON" continues to be the best option, so far, due to lack of useful info.
That 2-inch barrel declaration allowing 1500 FPS velocities, is going to be interesting to test out. Copies of the test results will be available to all who ask, and sent to those who really do "original reviews". 😛

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nothing you say is Legitimate in the reviews posted no one has claimed 1500 fps out of a 2" Barrel the claim was more like 1000 fps & 1,050 fps out of a 2" barrel and much higher velocity out of a 20" barreled rifle. Post your review or shut up !

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh! I don't doubt your knowledgeable statement at all, and as I posted at #4 Post, I'm quite a bit dubious as to how that 1500 FPS velocity could come out of a 2" barreled revolver, cylinder gap included. Problem is, there's probably some dufus that reads that and actually believes it's TRUE.
The 29 grain bullet is surely a contributing factor in some slightly higher velocity, but not that much higher. And, as I posted above, I'll email my test results to those who would like to read it, as it's MY choice, and no one else's. They can test Federal Punch for themselves to find out what I will, pretty soon.

:p

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man! I suffered through a couple of "YouTube" Steven Spielberg "wanna-be" videos, well. as far as I could stand 'em, and it was hard not to laugh.
"Plinkie" was shooting into a block of ballistic gelatin after the bullet passed through a T-shirt. Guess maybe he forgot that human bodies have bones, like rib cages, that just might get in the way of those 29 grain silver metal washed bullets. 😲 The other two happy-go-lucky film producers were more like a couple of dudes that were allowed some free time away from the asylum. Way too giggly for my orbs to partake in.
Makes me realize why I don't watch YouTube for the gun-testing videos, and sorta wonder how others can actually stay awake to watch those videos all the way through. I'd rather watch the finish on a gunstock dry.
And............that's JUST the way it is, and why I do my own testing, and not believe most all of the inter-web "excrement".

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh man! I suffered through a couple of "YouTube" Steven Spielberg "wanna-be" videos, well. as far as I could stand 'em, and it was hard not to laugh.
"Plinkie" was shooting into a block of ballistic gelatin after the bullet passed through a T-shirt. Guess maybe he forgot that human bodies have bones, like rib cages, that just might get in the way of those 29 grain silver metal washed bullets. 😲 The other two happy-go-lucky film producers were more like a couple of dudes that were allowed some free time away from the asylum. Way too giggly for my orbs to partake in.
Makes me realize why I don't watch YouTube for the gun-testing videos, and sorta wonder how others can actually stay awake to watch those videos all the way through. I'd rather watch the finish on a gunstock dry.
And............that's JUST the way it is, and why I do my own testing, and not believe most all of the inter-web "excrement".
Again SGW contributes nothing but BANTER LIES AND WORD TWISTING no video and not ONE test to prove or disprove the others that have posted proof . The only EXCREMENT is the postings of SGW GUNSMITH Dennis has been kicked off the Ruger Talk , Rimfire central and several other forums for his banter !

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's some groups:

That's all YOU get Francis, now and forever. :ROFLMAO: I do hope you get over the trichinosis you have from eating nothing but rotten hog meat, it's affecting what's left of your gray matter. (n)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts