Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on Ruger Mark pistols for quite a long time, from the early versions on up to what is now available with the Mark IV. I've learned quite a lot over the years and I fully admit that there's much more for me to learn concerning many of the vagary's Ruger has tried with these Mark pistols over the years.
This strange surprise was found quite a while after I purchased a Ruger Mark II Government version with the 6-7/8 ths blued bull barrel. The trigger pull was very good as arrived so I just ran a felt plug with cleaning solvent through the barrel and started burning up CCI Mini-Mags until the CCI Standard velocity ammunition would function the way I wanted it to.
That's when I first disassembled this pistol for a thorough cleaning, and was sorta shocked to see the hammer:

I never figured that Ruger would use "sintered metal" parts in these pistols, especially for a hammer. Sintered metal is powdered metal mixed with an agent that is heated and then compressed into shape. Looking closely at the top front corner of this hammer you can see that this corner is beginning to crumble from hits into the hardened rear bolt face.
I replaced this powdered metal hammer with a fully hardened "steel" Ruger Mark II style hammer and have the original saved for posterity.

Reactions: Theo98

·
Registered
427 Posts
Never came across one but a old timer once told me about the use by Ruger of "sintered metal" ! I always thought he was giving me a story. But he stated look for the white spots! Maybe he was telling the truth looking at the photo!!??

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a whole bunch of Ruger Mark pistols cross my bench and this is the only one I've ever seen, and it came from a NIB Ruger Mark II Government version, which makes it even more surprising.
I also have a Ruger Mark pistol sear that's made from sintered metal. That sear is a bit damaged.
I sorta find it quite odd that I've only seen two parts from different Ruger Mark II pistols that had a powder metal part in use. Where the heck are all the other ones?
I don't know of, or have ever read, or heard about, Ruger using powdered metal parts. I do know of other gun manufacturers that have used parts made like that, but nothing about Ruger doing such.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The proof is in the photo but I am surprised. The only time I heard of this is from a old friend that swore he replaced a "powdered metal" hammer in his Mark II that had severe issues. Like I said before he described the hammer in your photo. This was YEARS ago so now I know he probably was not giving me a wise tale. Live and learn.
*How many Ruger's have sintered metal parts? This is a rare data point for me.
*I am just curious on the story behind Ruger's use of "sintered metal"!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts