Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Re: The "Peening" Problem....pictures

Zach, in the 2009 "Concealed Carry Handguns" review of the LCP by Dennis Prisbrey, he speaks to the peening issue specific to the very early run of LCP's including the original test gun he received from Ruger, his replacement LCP (with mod incorporated) had no peening problem whatsoever. The corner taking the peening has since been relieved by about a 1/8-inch square cut removing that section of the frame from any impact. What was happening was that the extractor was throwing empty cases to the rear with quite a bit of force, and the rims were impacting the frame corner with enough oomph to cause the extractor to tear into the rim before the ejector could throw the cases out of the ejection port. That caused wild ejection and frame peening.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I wonder if we should send our two back to Ruger for repair?

What to folks think? ???

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

Zach, your decision but I would call Ruger and let us know what they say. Typically with peening, it reaches a certain point and stops. And it's not interfering with the functioning of the gun correct? It doesn't seem so from your videos. :)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

Zach and Holly said:
I wonder if we should send our two back to Ruger for repair?

What to folks think? ???
#1. I doubt if Ruger will issue a prepaid pickup for ur two lcps that don't have that mod done to them.
#2 Every kt made and they made a couple hundred thousand of them peened in that same exact area. Kt, never replaced or even changed the mod. they just stated, take a file and file it down and it will soon stop.
#3 It will stop
#4 take a small file and file that little peened burr off and put some flat black on that area and just keep an eye on it, once the flat black preceeds to not wear off, you have done enough.
#5, should Ruger have caught that area, yup indeed. Does it hurt anything. ABSOLUTELY NOT.
#6 would I send mine in, NO, un less it had another issue with it that required Rugers services.
#7, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
#8 Just shoot it like youy stole it

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

If you do what Jocko suggested, basically just smooth out the rough spots (with a fine file, I like to to use a fine Arkansas stone if I can) you will end up essentially with the factory mod. It may not look quite as "purty" but essentially it's the same result. To reiterate, peening reaches a certain point and tends to stop and there is peening and there is peening. The wear in your case in no way interferes with the functioning of the gun, are we correct? I'd say it falls more under the heading of a superficial wound. I'd still (just for your peace of mind) call Ruger and see if they are willing to provide any assistance. Why not. If it was me though and the gun/s work fine othewise, I would just do a little polishing/filingor stoning and leave it alone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kraig, so what you are saying is that this just a little tiny peenie weenie problem? ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist! It sounds like you're right though - it will work itself out with enough ammo.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Zach and Holly said:
Not sure if folks have seen this, but here's a picture of the "peening" problem. I have an older model I guess, as mine is the old version -- 370-01xxx
The pictures you are using were taken and first posted by me on RugerForum. Here are the original sized pics for easy viewing....

Zach and Holly said:
I wonder if we should send our two back to Ruger for repair? What to folks think????
As for the peening issue, after calling Joe Crammer at Ruger back in March, I took my LCP to the factory in Prescott and they re-milled the area while I waited (they also threw in two free mags). He advised me in the future they would not re-mill unless it was causing a problem. Although they made an adjustment to the production process, Ruger considers the peening to be a cosmetic issue only in the earlier LCP's.

As suggested above, a call to Ruger is in order if you are considering sending yours back. Let us know what they say....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that your gun "re-milled"? If it is, looks nice.

I've had a few wild ejections, they shoot up and straight back. Not sure if I should call or not...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Zach and Holly said:
Is that your gun "re-milled"? If it is, looks nice.

I've had a few wild ejections, they shoot up and straight back. Not sure if I should call or not...
Yes, the LCP AND pics are mine, minus the notations you must have added... first posted on RugerForum

·
Registered
43 Posts
You could find a local hobby machinist, that would take about five minutes to set up in a mill and just a touch with a 1/8 inch cutter to fix, I'd fix ya up if you were around here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just picked up an Elsie today. The serial number is 370-60XXX and is has been milled. The case fire date is 10/03/08.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My case fire date is 5-1-08 Serial # 370-09xxx and it has the area milled out. It was sent in for mods Was the milling part of the mods? If I missed that sorry in advance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts