Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first handgun purchase a couple years ago was a LCP. Since then, I've added a couple more handguns (SP101, Glock19). For me, one of the rewarding features of gun ownership is the opportunity to read and learn more about the handguns that I've purchased, the ammunition they shoot, and the history of the companies that manufacture the guns. In that vein, I've subscribed to a couple of well known firearm magazines. One thing I've noticed in reading the magazines, and I am hoping for some feedback from more experienced and well-read Forum members, is this: Do these magazines ever print a negative or critical review of any firearm? I've been reading for a year+ and I've yet to read anything in these magazines that really takes a firearm or firearm manufacturer to task. This is a bit disappointing. It seems that the only place where I hear both good and bad about a firearm is thru the comments posted by Forum members. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
There is a magazine called "Gun Tests" that does reviews on guns........ :eek:

They usually tell it like it is.....But I have noticed that sometimes they are a little biased in some situations... ::)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good question. I have a fairly "decent" sized collection, but usually before I endavor on purchases, I do extensive research, pour over everything I can find on the web, etc. It seems like printed material and the web have more positive things to say about everything than negative. If everything is good and perfect, I should buy EVERYTHING!! (I wish) It was helpful to know what S/N to avoid on Elsie, or on S&W Bodyguard 380, etc, but good reviews are helpful, and occasionally purely subjective.

There is one fellow on Youtube who runs a review of things, called Nutnfancy. (Do a search and a ton of stuff pops up.) While there is a certain level of...enthusiasm?... on the word "tactical" in his stuff, his reviews of handguns are very thorough, well thought out, honest opinions, both pro and con. He did some honest reviews of the Ruger SR9 and held Ruger to task for a lemon that made it out there. I find him a good source of information, even if I don't always agree with his assessments: he makes me think.

G

·
That Nutnfancy guy for all the world reminds me of Herb Tarlek in looks, inflated ego, and mannerisms. He could be the son of Herb. And No, you will not find much, if anything, negative in a gun magazine. They would lose the advertising dollars, which is where all their money comes from, not from subscriptions.

·
Super Moderator
4,601 Posts
I always check out YouTube for pros and con on gun tests. I get some great info from them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
"That Nutnfancy guy for all the world reminds me of Herb Tarlek in looks, inflated ego, and mannerisms. He could be the son of Herb."
Hillariously true!! Difference being, instead of white patent leather shoes with matching belt and loud sports coat, he wears a "tactical" vest with pouches and pockets for everything that no one would ever really wear!!

G

·
TampaKen said:
"That Nutnfancy guy for all the world reminds me of Herb Tarlek in looks, inflated ego, and mannerisms. He could be the son of Herb."
Hillariously true!! Difference being, instead of white patent leather shoes with matching belt and loud sports coat, he wears a "tactical" vest with pouches and pockets for everything that no one would ever really wear!!
I think it's comical that he thinks he needs forty pounds of hanging tactical crap to run through a ditch to show a pistol works. But some like that nonsense, and some watch NASCAR.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I will admit that I watch the NutNFancy videos. Seen about 20 of them. Reason I like them is he will tell you things he dislikes about the firearms as well as the good. I purchased the LCP and a S&W M&P 15-22 in part because of his reviews. Recently bought a Bushnell TRS-25.

(Guess three purchases makes me a groupie)

No I don't have any tactical clothes. I would love to live in an area where I could "run" thru the desert shooting in virtualy all directions safely. Or step outside teh back door and have a decent range. (One of my neighbors is a LEO and has given me "permission" to take out the raccoon trashing his garden. I think he'll beat me too it.)

I like like the GunBlast and Hickock45 stuff, too. (Being a northern boy, I even think I talk with a southern drawl for a few minutes after watching one of their videos.)

I'm willing to look more at the people who have a lot of experience using firearms for their personal use rather that those who have a lifetime writing about firearms for a living.

I think I'm capable of seeing thru the bull when it's flying.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Nutinfancy is opinionated, but he tells you so right up front. And, he knows what he is talking about and gives his opinionated responses to gear, which is more than can be said about many gun writers today. I think his reviews and comments are accurate and based on what he sees and experiences. I could caremless what he wears. I like his reviews. I also appreciate Hickok45 and Gunblast reviews. Lots of experience and objective content there too.

On the other side of that, I really don't care what reviewers say about the SR1911. I'm getting one.

Mayo

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
mn_doggie said:
I will admit that I watch the NutNFancy videos. Seen about 20 of them. Reason I like them is he will tell you things he dislikes about the firearms as well as the good. I purchased the LCP and a S&W M&P 15-22 in part because of his reviews. Recently bought a Bushnell TRS-25.

(Guess three purchases makes me a groupie)

No I don't have any tactical clothes. I would love to live in an area where I could "run" thru the desert shooting in virtualy all directions safely. Or step outside teh back door and have a decent range. (One of my neighbors is a LEO and has given me "permission" to take out the raccoon trashing his garden. I think he'll beat me too it.)

I like like the GunBlast and Hickock45 stuff, too. (Being a northern boy, I even think I talk with a southern drawl for a few minutes after watching one of their videos.)

I'm willing to look more at the people who have a lot of experience using firearms for their personal use rather that those who have a lifetime writing about firearms for a living.

I think I'm capable of seeing thru the bull when it's flying.
With exception of purchasing based on N-n-F and some embellishments around the edges... +1, spot on.
After that, the closest I've seen to negative in magazines is having a reviewer who likes full size guns being forced to review a pocket peice. That still falls under seeing thru the bull when it's flying.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
jonjon said:
TampaKen said:
I think it's comical that he thinks he needs forty pounds of hanging tactical crap to run through a ditch to show a pistol works. But some like that nonsense, and some watch NASCAR.
He wears all that stuff because he is training himself as closely as to how reality would be. Why do military men suit up in 100 lbs of gear to go humping through the woods to go shoot paper with M16 rifles?

G

·
Nope - they generally cater to their advertisers, which produce the products they review.

My shooting mentor (Jeff Cooper) called gun magazines the "funny papers" ..... I think that was quite appropriate. The only place you'll find more erroneous information about guns and shooting is on internet forums.

G

·
Deadbolt said:
jonjon said:
TampaKen said:
He wears all that stuff because he is training himself as closely as to how reality would be. Why do military men suit up in 100 lbs of gear to go humping through the woods to go shoot paper with M16 rifles?
I do not understand peoples definition of reality now days. What I do understand is that some lean to far toward the surreal and fantasyfor dramatic effect. In the real world people carry, possess handguns to eliminate a threat coming at them. I seriously doubt that I'll ever be chasing anyone through a ditch with a pack on my back.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
jonjon said:
I do not understand peoples definition of reality now days. What I do understand is that some lean to far toward the surreal and fantasyfor dramatic effect. In the real world people carry, possess handguns to eliminate a threat coming at them. I seriously doubt that I'll ever be chasing anyone through a ditch with a pack on my back.
Then obviously, you two have different schools of thought. Your version of reality may be just as weird and surreal as his definition is to you. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
N-n-F has created a persona just as any mass media personality needs to do to be remembered. Doesn't matter if it's just You Tube.

I'm not seeing him sitting down at IHOP in full tactical gear just as surely as I wouldn't expect him to do a segment in shorts, flip flops, and a tank top. His wardrobe is part of his on video character... just as Captain Kangaroo, Elvira, Ghoulardi...

With his character established, his audience is pretty sure of what to expect

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I rarely see negative comments, let alone a negative review in the gun mags. You may see an occasional "I wish it had/didn't have this or that," but negatives are typically few and far between. I've also noticed -- quite coincidentally, I'm sure -- that there is frequently an ad or two from the company whose wares are being reviewed within a few pages of the review itself.

in recent months, I had a strong interest in the Kimber Solo Carry. I'll bet I read 8-10 reviews in gun mags...not one negative review, and very, very few negative comments. Yet, on several forums as well as some anecdotal evidence from local gun shops, there have been a number of issues with the gun. (I've since lost interest in the Solo, at least for now, and plan to go with the LC9.)

·
Registered
816 Posts
In the 40 years I've been reading gun magazines, I've never read a negative review on a firearm. I guess it's all about money.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
In fact, people were shocked when nutnfancy did a review of the Ruger Single Six while wearing blue jeans, a button down shirt, and a leather holster.

G

·
Deadbolt said:
In fact, people were shocked when nutnfancy did a review of the Ruger Single Six while wearing blue jeans, a button down shirt, and a leather holster.
I see your point, I'd be shocked if Ronald MacDonald did a commercial without his costume. But, I would take it more seriously.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok, I opened the can of worms on Nutnfancy, let me perhaps elaborate what I like. Yes, his "tactical clinics in the desert" are beyond my world or function, and I do kinda scratch my head, but I digress. He does a series of table-top reviews, follows the same formula with pros, cons, purpose of use, dimensions, etc. He runs that formula for each handgun that he reviews and makes comparisons on occasion to other handguns as well. Those are the ones I like, in that they are honest opinions. Even if I don't agree with him (say his not particularly liking the Walther PPS, which I have and love) his point about possibilities for confusion on how to insert the magazine in a stressful situation are, well, dead on accurate observation. Be it him, Jeff Quinn (with the trademark looooong beard) or whomever, there are folks out there with experience offering honest opinions and observations. IN the end, thats what ANY review is. YMMV

1 - 20 of 23 Posts