Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Batteries are dead in my laser guard. Any tips for getting one of these off other than lefty loosey righty tighty? I'm afraid I will strip the screws and then I'm not sure how to get this off. Would heating them up work or potentially putting it in the freezer for an hour or so? At the same time I don't want to damage the laser... Help! I contacted CT and they basically said "get it off any means necessary, we can do warranty work". I'd prefer not to mail out elsie if it can be avoided.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Don't have any idea why you can get it loose. I've changed batteries in two of my laser guards and never had a problem removing them with the supplied allen wrench.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It should come off simply by taking out the two screws with the supplied allen wrench.
Unless someone used Loctite on the screws when they installed it.....is that what the problem is?
I definitely would not recommend heating it or putting it in the freezer.

Here's the video on installation - removal is just the opposite.

Hope that helps.....

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yeah - sounds like somebody really torqued it down tight.... Considering how expensive these lasers are, I understand your concern.
Make sure that you have the correct size allen wrench. Make sure that you have the allen wrench fully seated and straight in the allen screw head, and use the short side in the screw head. (That way you will get more leverage.) And make sure that you are turning the screw Counter-Clockwise to loosen. Once you get the 2 screws out, you may need to gently pry the two halves apart with a small flathead screwdriver.
Good Luck

Allen_wrench_and_screw_001.png

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave it another go, using the short leg of the allen key and kind of jamming it in at an angle, applying firm pressure on the unit clamshell, I was able to get purchase to painfully slowly back out the screws. One screw is "OK" but one is not far off from being stripped. I have no clue why it worked this time and not the handful of times I tried before...

Just goes to show you if something isn't working, then cry about it on the internet and try again... sometimes maybe something will happen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Closing the loop on this, CT sent me new screws, wrenches, those fancy q tips for cleaning the lens, and a new battery! Good dudes over at Crimson Trace.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The problem I've had is corroding screws from sweat. If the corrosion is not stopped, I may end up with a non-removable situation when my batteries die. Has anyone seen or heard of an option for getting SS screws to avoid/minimize this problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
A battery powered drill with an adjustable clutch works great. Make sure you have the exact size bit as the allen wrench and an extension. Set the clutch at its lowest setting and put the drill in reverse. Let it ratchet for a couple of seconds. If they don't loosen up go to the second lowest clutch setting and try again. If that doesn't work just keep setting the clutch up one setting at a time making sure the setting you use engages the clutch. Setting the clutch to high will cause the tip to slip out and the last thing you want to do is strip the head out and scratch your firearm. The ratcheting action of the clutch helps to loosen the screw just like an impact wrench. I have used this technique many times mounting and removing rails and scopes. I was also told by a reliable source that this is the method many gunsmiths use to remove and mount items especially ones that have not been removed in many years. You can use only so much force on an allen wrench before it starts to bent and deform the screw head. I don't know how much room you have to get to the screws you need to remove but if the drill will reach them it will make the job much easier. Hope this helps you out.
OldArmyNut

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just tried to remove the Crimson Trace laser from my LCP II, and the lower screw head snapped off! Now What? The other screw came off without an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish stainless steel screws were available. I just snapped off a screw head trying to get the laser off to replace the battery, and don't know what to do next... The other screw came off but was very rusty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those who mentioned ss screws, you are looking for socket head cap screws, SHCS, in thread size 0-80 x 1/2 inch long. Your local hardware store may have them, if not goggle McMaster Carr, you will have to by a box quantity, if there is a Fastenal in your town that is another option.
Just purchased a CT myself and replaced screws with stainless

1 - 16 of 16 Posts