Ruger Pistol Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

I'd have to go back through my notes, but I believe the first time I took the gun out I was shooting about 6" groups off hand 2-handed at 25yd. I was still getting used to the trigger and the sights at that point.

Not long after, I stopped by to visit Larry Vickers and some other friends while Larry was putting on a basic handgun class down in South Hill, VA. During the class, I got to crank off some rounds at a 12x12 steel plate. Once I got the bullet drop figured out, it was very easy to hit that 12x12 plate consistently at 75yd. We would have backed it up to 100yd but didn't have enough time.

Of course, this is a sample size of one but the gun is certainly designed with a more than adequate lockup. The sights aren't ideal but it's all the same exact concept ... line up the sights and press the trigger without disrupting their alignment until the gun goes boom.

edited to add:

Here are the exact notes from my log book the first day I had the gun:

approx 6" groups at 25yd, shooting a little left and with significant vertical stringing

50/50 on Dot Torture at 3yd

speed is possible but it's very easy to jerk trigger and anticipate recoil

ToddG said:
I'd have to go back through my notes, but I believe the first time I took the gun out I was shooting about 6" groups off hand 2-handed at 25yd. I was still getting used to the trigger and the sights at that point.

Not long after, I stopped by to visit Larry Vickers and some other friends while Larry was putting on a basic handgun class down in South Hill, VA. During the class, I got to crank off some rounds at a 12x12 steel plate. Once I got the bullet drop figured out, it was very easy to hit that 12x12 plate consistently at 75yd. We would have backed it up to 100yd but didn't have enough time.

Of course, this is a sample size of one but the gun is certainly designed with a more than adequate lockup. The sights aren't ideal but it's all the same exact concept ... line up the sights and press the trigger without disrupting their alignment until the gun goes boom.

edited to add:

Here are the exact notes from my log book the first day I had the gun:

approx 6" groups at 25yd, shooting a little left and with significant vertical stringing

50/50 on Dot Torture at 3yd

speed is possible but it's very easy to jerk trigger and anticipate recoil
Some of you guys here are either really good shooters or I just suck, maybe both.

It's all about training and practice and priorities. You don't need to be an expert to be effective with a weapon just like you don't need to be a NASCAR champion to operate a motor vehicle safely. But if you want to get better, you need to work at it and you need to know how to get better. Just going to the range and shooting doesn't make anyone get better.

Hi Guys and Girls;

Shooting my LCP off of a rest I can cover 6 shots at 21 ft. (that's 7 yds for those of you in Rio Linda, LOL) with a $.50 piece and I also have a Crimson Trace laser sight on it. BTW I have done the same thing with my LWS .32 with no sights, yeah I was probably lucky.
Have a great week everybody. Regards, Dan.

ToddG said:
My LCP is more than capable of pie plate (8" circle) accuracy at 25yd.

The sights on mine, while small and a bit challenging, are perfectly zeroed and adequate for slow marksmanship practice.
Gee, 75'? I hope I'm able to escape if confronted at 75'...like get in my car and drive away... :)

Snubbie K said:
Ground squirrel???

No doubt about it. That's some mighty fine shooting for sure.

But it got me thinking.

What makes a person want to do something like that?

Supper, tasty eating ummmmmmmmmm!!!!
finger licking good, especially when it is deep fried with gravy ,rice and homade biscuits.
oh, i forgot 2 slices of tomato on top.

of course if you live in Cajun country( Louisiana), you would want to substitute the squirrel withNutria and Mudbugs to be politically correct.

best regards,
x

TheShooter said:
Only 50 yards Mine can shoot a fly at 500 ;D
Mine can shoot the nuts off a fly at 500. :D
honestly, i just got it back from Ruger, upgraded and fixed the trigger thing. Going to the range tomorrow with a few hundred rounds to see if I can hit a target at 7 yards. ;)

I dunno. I do about 200-300 rounds a week. Most of my shooting is at 10-15 FEET and when I shoot my Glock 36 I can do a 6 round 2" group using my sights. I usually do about 50 rounds instinctive shooting, both hands I average 8" 6 round groups, weak hand 4 out of 6 in a pie plate instinctive. I'm still working on the weak hand. I think I'm gonna get some of these guys and carry them on my back to do my shooting for me. lol

15 yards, CT grips. 6 shots at speed, speed reload, 6 more shots.

The pistols are capable of hitting anything you are good enough to hit with them. The sights are actually pretty useful when shooting paper targets. The snag is trigger control. The LCP trigger is extremely easy to snatch.

One important thing to remember when shooting a small gun is don't push your finger too far into the trigger, many people get there finger too far in and this will cause you to pull your shot. John

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.