Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shot about 200 rounds or more thru my LCP, and am having mixed results. It has a crimson trace on it, and the gun generally shoots into the red dot, however, at times you can't see the dot depending on the background of the target and the ambient light conditions. From what I am seeing the on board sight is useless, Any others having any issues?

I'm lucky to put 3 out of 7 in a pie plate at 7 yards on a repetitive basis

J Stallings
Alva, Ok
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

I have a streamlite TRL-2 on my G19 and I can't say it is much better in brite daylite on a white surface. I would say that is the nature of the beast. Probably all the more reason to be proficient without the lite at 7 yards and then the lite comes into play best in low lite conditions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

I don't even aim mine at that distance. Whenever I practice shooting my LCP, it's at 7 yards and it's "point and shoot". In real life, I don't know if one would even have the time to aim.
Crazylegs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

Crazylegs said:
I don't even aim mine at that distance. Whenever I practice shooting my LCP, it's at 7 yards and it's "point and shoot". In real life, I don't know if one would even have the time to aim.
Crazylegs
u got that right. A survery done quite a few years on the NYPD showed that over 60% missed their target at under 6 feet in a stress situation. bet they never even seen their sights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

jstall said:
From what I am seeing the on board sight is useless, Any others having any issues?
I solved the front sight visibility issue by adding a NightSiters dot. They are one of our sponsors with a link on the sponsors bar above. Very inexpensive and easy to try. Check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

HowardCohodas said:
jstall said:
From what I am seeing the on board sight is useless, Any others having any issues?
I solved the front sight visibility issue by adding a NightSiters dot. They are one of our sponsors with a link on the sponsors bar above. Very inexpensive and easy to try. Check it out.
just got mine from them yesterday, I will wait until I get it all back from Ruger. I ported my lcp, did that to my kt 380 and had alot of fun with it. Course people who know me know I ported my lawn mower also. I love ported guns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

HowardCohodas said:
jocko said:
I ported my lcp, did that to my kt 380 and had alot of fun with it. Course people who know me know I ported my lawn mower also. I love ported guns.
It's not fair to tease us without providing pictures. ::)
Howard, you have to understand that Jocko is still trying to learn the finer points of his circa 1957 Brownie camera.

http://www.brownie-camera.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

and I guess you have something against the Brownie Haweye camera :-\ :-\ I do resemble that remark to ;D

By the way my brownie is the square one shown on that webb site. can't find color film for it though.. Bet we won't be writing about you in 108 years ;D ;D ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

I didn't have any problem putting every round well within a "pie plate" sized target and that was at 10-12 yards, practice practice practice, the little pistol is accurate enough to hit that target from the distance you are talking about jstall :) just another excuse to run another 200 through her!

Jocko, did you really port your LCP? though I like the way ported pistols look I think its likely killing the oooomff! of the little .380 round, the barrel is already very short, porting is just going to make it exit even slower than it already is and well thats not good for anyone, besides the BG that is lol. with that said, I would love to see a pic of the porting, I bet it looks awesome 8)

Nietz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

hell, can't tell you the velocity loss, APW who does alot of the lcp and kt porting claims around 6% loss. Now if that is to much for some, indeed don't do it. I have no issues at all about it and if you want to over comnpensate shoot that damn buffalo round. It is awsome and will pick up what velocity you might loose with your now defense round. the porting on the lcp is just two rounds 1/8 inche holes so you not taking out alot to hurt either.

It sure is a fun gun to shoot and I have never got any flashback, nor do I stick it under my nose either. Have to remember once you drill the holes in the slide and barrel there is no going back......

My kahr PM9 is mag-na-ported and I have 17,100 rounds through it and I still have my eyes, hearing, and nose and it is my 24/7 carry gun and has been for over 2 years..Course I have shot ported guns for 30 years and I just like what they do..

I will get some photos as soon as I can get kraigster off my as- and sell my Brownie hawkeye for a nice digital camera..

My brownie is also ported to, as that black and white films gets real hot in the summer time. ;D ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

LOL You da man Jocko.

And don't get rid of those 78's. Mario Lanza records are going for top dollar.

Back to the subject at hand.... ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

Nietz said:
I didn't have any problem putting every round well within a "pie plate" sized target and that was at 10-12 yards, practice practice practice, the little pistol is accurate enough to hit that target from the distance you are talking about jstall :) just another excuse to run another 200 through her!

Jocko, did you really port your LCP? though I like the way ported pistols look I think its likely killing the oooomff! of the little .380 round, the barrel is already very short, porting is just going to make it exit even slower than it already is and well thats not good for anyone, besides the BG that is lol. with that said, I would love to see a pic of the porting, I bet it looks awesome 8)

Agree, practice is the answer, today I did indeed run a few more thru and really concentrated on the trigger pull, got better results, little guy is different, the trigger pull takes some getting used to, but is manageable

JS

Nietz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

I'm hoping I can attach this picture of Federal American Eagles and Golden Sabers at 7 yds. with standard sights. I can get 3"-4" groups at 15 yds. with the CT.

Bill
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

Billy-Bob2 said:
I'm hoping I can attach this picture of Federal American Eagles and Golden Sabers at 7 yds. with standard sights. I can get 3"-4" groups at 15 yds. with the CT.

Bill
Hell I can't do that at 7 yards, MUST be the gun-u think???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

Wow 15 yds, thats 50 feet, no way I can hit a pie plate at 50 feet, or if I do its out of luck, maybe I"m just not tuned in yet, during the daytime the crimson is even hard to get on at that range, and the stock
sights are not good at all, Its my opinion that this little guy is for 7 yards and under a really up close and personal gun self defense only, I've got
serious issues as to its effectiveness as a self defense gun at this point,
One in the round effectiveness, and Second the accuracy

JS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

My LCP is more than capable of pie plate (8" circle) accuracy at 25yd.

The sights on mine, while small and a bit challenging, are perfectly zeroed and adequate for slow marksmanship practice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Re: ACCURACY OF THE LCP AT 7 YDS

ToddG said:
My LCP is more than capable of pie plate (8" circle) accuracy at 25yd.

The sights on mine, while small and a bit challenging, are perfectly zeroed and adequate for slow marksmanship practice.
Hey Todd,
You are saying 25 YARDS? I've not tried over about 30 feet but by the way I'm shooting there I don't see any hope for that kind of range. Are you shooting from a rest or standing?
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top