Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The following information includes all of the Ruger Mark (I,II,III,IV) and 22/45 pistol sears and how your trigger pull can become much more smooth in operation, and reduce pull weight, to 2½ to 3 pounds, safely. Over the years working on these Ruger Mark pistols, I've seen quite a few 'gosh awful' sear faces as done at the factory:

The working face of the factory sear on the very left has a pretty nasty lookin' finish, and if you look closely, you can see where the hardened hammer notch shelf has dug into a small area of the face on that sear. This condition will never produce a consistent trigger pull, if that's what an owner would like to experience. Some don't care and are satisfied with however the pistol works, as long as there's noise when the trigger is pulled. And that's fine for them.
I do have a fixture, purchased from Power Custom, whereby I can smooth sear and hammer notch faces, and also create a flatter sear and hammer notch face engagement. Here, as always, everything can be overdone, so, caution along with trial fitting to see how engagement is being maintained:

Using this fixture to polish and correct the face of factory sears is much better than doing the work without the need for it, as I have read where some folks claim they can. I have encountered some of the failed attempts also. For those who just want a "drop-in" sear, you will never go wrong when using the Volquartsen target sear to get your trigger pull much better.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. What guns are you drifting away from and towards the Ruger 22LR Mark series?
Where did you read that? I've been owning, shooting and working on Ruger Mark pistols for 50+ years now. Not drifting away from any .22 rimfire pistols, but only adding to what I have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where did you read that? I've been owning, shooting and working on Ruger Mark pistols for 50+ years now. Not drifting away from any .22 rimfire pistols, but only adding to what I have.
Hey. Great for the 50 years of Mark gun enjoyment. Thread titled "Considering Ruger Mark Series". To me, considering means thought towards something and away from something else. Anyway, enjoy your consideration and adding to what you have. Cheers to you :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey. Great for the 50 years of Mark gun enjoyment. Thread titled "Considering Ruger Mark Series". To me, considering means thought towards something and away from something else. Anyway, enjoy your consideration and adding to what you have. Cheers to you :)
TS,

Hello and Welcome to the RPF! :positive:

Believe Dennis's thread title was meant as a question to the membership, not an exclamation of his intent! I'd suggest reading a few Mk threads first to maybe get a feel for posting members and their contributions to the forum...helped me anyway! Might also consider starting HERE!

Stay Safe...

Ted

·
Registered
449 Posts
Considering Mark SEARs. This is a good example of a good sear.
* My Mark III 22/45 is due for a tear down next month. I have to start a list of what I want to replace and or service on it. Going to put this sear on my list to start out with. When I get time I will request some assistance here. Keeping it because I love it and it is has sentimental value. After 6,500 plus rounds I want to take some time and give her a good once over. The Mark III 22/45 is stock minus the front sights and Halo. Deciding on weather to do a trigger job or just polish internals. Will start a thread later when I order this sear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My bad. Thought the thread title misspelled "series". Searching the term "sear" I learned something: In a firearm, the sear is the part of the trigger mechanism that holds the hammer, striker, or bolt back until the correct amount of pressure has been applied to the trigger, at which point the hammer, striker, or bolt is released to discharge the weapon. The sear may be a separate part or can be a surface incorporated into the trigger.
Take care. Toppscore

·
Registered
449 Posts
Toppscore, Same here as well. Love learning about these Ruger's! Getting older for me does not hold me back from learning new tricks. Was going to just polish and clean my internals up but will get some parts like this re-worked sear and others to keep my Mark running. Love my Mark III 22/45! Rick

Reactions: Toppscore

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Considering Mark SEARs. This is a good example of a good sear.
* My Mark III 22/45 is due for a tear down next month. I have to start a list of what I want to replace and or service on it. Going to put this sear on my list to start out with. When I get time I will request some assistance here. Keeping it because I love it and it is has sentimental value. After 6,500 plus rounds I want to take some time and give her a good once over. The Mark III 22/45 is stock minus the front sights and Halo. Deciding on weather to do a trigger job or just polish internals. Will start a thread later when I order this sear.
Feel free to bring ANY of your questions here. I've worked on quite a few of the Ruger Mark III pistols in all their iterations. When/if you do order a sear from VC, or someone else's web-store, make darn sure you get the Ruger Mark II style sear. You will also get a new sear spring, but the one included with the sear is for the Ruger Mark I & II grip frame. You will need to use your current Mark III 22/45 sear spring. They are different. If you install the VC sear, you will immediately experience a trigger pull weight of from 2½ to 3 pounds........measured.
I also have some suggestions you might consider, but only if you dislike the magazine disconnect and the LCI, loaded chamber indicator. Some owners have removed that device and then added a filler due to getting spent case stove pipes where the spent case does not get completely ejected and then smashed up against the breech face and the bolt face. The replacement of the magazine disconnect will require a new hammer bushing, and if that's something you find you'd like to do, I have a recommendation for that.
There are no less than six (6) aftermarket extractors to replace the pretty dismal factory extractor. I've tested all of them, and have only found one that works to superb expectations, so that's the one I stock and use exclusively. This extractor style will pull spent brass from even the dirtiest of chambers and still fling the empties 10 to 15 feet to the right. there are some shooters who will not shoot on my right side because they get pelted with spent brass and it wrecks their concentration, so they say.
Take a close looks at some of these factory extractors that I've removed from customers Mark pistols:

The many sharp edges and gouges in these extractors pick up and hold gunk that will prevent these extractors from moving in place to extract and ex spell spent cases, which can be disturbing when your having fun shooting.

Reactions: Theo98
1 - 9 of 9 Posts