Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
531 Posts
Practice practice practice. It's important to know your capabilities and limitations along with the firearm you choose. If you can cover your groups with your open hand at 10 yards you are doing well as far as combat accuracy is concerned. Target shooting to me means tiny little groups preferably put there with some precision. Often but not always using different equipment.

· Administrator
4,798 Posts
Practice practice practice. It's important to know your capabilities and limitations along with the firearm you choose. If you can cover your groups with your open hand at 10 yards you are doing well as far as combat accuracy is concerned. Target shooting to me means tiny little groups preferably put there with some precision. Often but not always using different equipment.
+1 toytraindoc. ��

· Registered
107 Posts
I don’t disagree, but I seem to have different methods than the trainer in the video. First off, I don’t carry a large, heavy 9mm sidearm to often anymore. Pocket pistols comprise 90-95% of my defensive carry these days, so a hand size group is what I strive for but seldom achieve. I’m old and I don’t train intensely so I’m ok with keeping my hits at 8-10” center mass. That should be good enough. Also I train shooting double taps at a considerably faster rate than the video. My end goal is the same as the Trainer, to stop the threat, but my goal when I bring the weapon up is to get four hits (two double taps) to center mass asap. That means both eyes open, gun blazing. Secondly, training at thirty feet like he says in the video is IMO not representative of most scenarios I’m likely to encounter. I train at 15 feet at the indoor range, and the required 21 feet at the outdoor range. At the outdoor range, to abide by the rules, you are supposed to fire no more than one shot per two seconds. At that point, I agree with the video, it’s target practice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.