Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered the 10 box maximum directly from CCI for CCI Velocitor .22 rimfire ammunition. Was surprised they had any left. Some brag this ammunition up as though it's like "Kryptonite" for any critter touched by it. It is OK ammunition, but for sensible shooting of any critter for the skillet, it can be very destructive if shot placement is not precise.
As for small vermin, up to the size of raccoons, feral cats & skunks, it's a good round for the purpose.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the Heads Up I picked up a 500 Round Brick , I lean towards CCI but the same exact loading can be found in Browning & Winchester 40 grain copper plated hollow points at 1435 fps. I have shot all three of these offerings and they all shoot the same I could not tell the difference on the range at 50 to 100 yards. I have pulled and examined the 40 grain projectiles they all appear to be the same copper plated lead hollow point , I examined the powder it seems to be the same in appearance and of the same charge weight in all three . I have used the CCI Velocitor Extensively with outstanding performance in my business of Eradicating Feral Hogs and Coyotes I have put down several 300 & 400 Pound Boar with this round over bait 50 to 75 yards from the bait pile from a top a 25' Ladder stand during Day light hours and at Night with just one well placed shot to the head .My Ruger 10 / 22 Sports a Sightmark Wraith Digital Day / Night Vision Scope. see it below.

This Ruger 10 /22 Rifle Below is now the Rifle above , I added the Ruger BX Trigger , FAB Defense Ruger 10/22 Stock , free floating ER SHAW 18 " factory Taper Target Barrel Sightmark Wraith Digital Day Night Scope with IR Illuminator. I call this rifle my critter getter . I also use the Ruger PC 9 Carbine 9 mm Rifle in addition to the Marlin 1894 .357 Mag Rifle and the AR -15 .223 /5.56 Rifles . In the eradication business , I always carry a side arm either 9mm , .45 , .22 LR , .22 Mag .

Reactions: miniman

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the heads up i locked in my order for 10 boxes.
Good for you, glad to read you got in on this. I don't believe that they are actually worth the higher price being charged, as from my long time experience with these rounds has proven they ain't that much better than CCI Mini-Mags for accuracy and reasonable use on critters and .22 rimfire firearm use.
I checked today and they are "unavailable at this time". Snoozers.............maybe next time. ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
As it gets warmer around here, I plan to run some of these Velocitor rounds over my chronograph, if only to see for myself if they actually live up to the "alleged" box velocity as claimed. Several years ago I asked .22 rimfire manufacturers what length barrels they used for recording their advertised velocities. All those who answered back, included CCI and Federal, along with Remington and Winchester, and even Eley. Every one of them claimed their rifle and test barrels were 26-inches in length and Eley wrote that they use a rifle with a 660 millimeter long barrel, which converts to 25.94 inches. I don't feel any of these .22 Long Rifle manufacturers have any 'cause to lie.
My Oehler 35P chronograph doesn't lie, it just does what it's supposed to do...........record velocity of the rounds as shot over the sky-screens. So, I will shoot these rounds from barrel lengths from 20 to 27 inches in length and let the REAL truth be known.

That's how a real review should be done. ;)

Reactions: miniman

·
Registered
104 Posts
Many ammo manufacturers advertise an average muzzle velocity but they often don't live up to the advertised Velocity when testing with a chronograph , Most of these rounds are measured in a climate temperature controlled shooting tunnel shooting from a special scientifically precision produced barrel and a specific caliber and twist rate . Some of these amateur hobby chronographs fail to measure up to the Professional Calibrated Chronograph instrument used in the factory labs in fact you can take 3 amateur hobby chronographs and all 3 will give different readings + or - 100 fps .

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to keep checking their web site. I haven't seen Velocitors around here in years.
That's what I'll do also, check both CCI and Federal sites when I sit down at the 'puter for my mid-day sandwhich break. Sometimes I'll get lucky. The Velocitors have gone up a dollar or so per box since I last bought any, but as the way things are going these days, I guess that ain't too bad.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Friday. they had more Velocitors in stock, so I ordered some more. Now I'll have a whole bunch of these to shoot so I can negate any "myths" purported by the "fake news" :LOL:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts