Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home from one job, getting a bite to eat and getting ready to go on duty at the fire station when i hear my two dachshunds (sp) barking their heads off in the backyard. I lean out the back door hollering at them to hush and they do, but as soon as i close the door they start back up. So I'm going out their to pop'em on the butt to get them to stop when I walk up on this BIG lizard they have backed up against the fence. It's hissing, flicking it's tongue and whipping it's tail at my dogs. I didn't know what to think! I guessed pretty quickly that it was not a native species so I used some "Steve Irwin" type distraction techniques and caught the dang thing. It's over a foot long and I had no idea what exactly it was. I walked to the back door, my wife has her back to the door feeding my 9 month old daughter, I just tap on the glass and she turns around and screams and immediately locks the dead bolt :eek: ;D! Anyhoos, after a little google researching I find out that i have caught a Savannah Monitor! There used to be a guy that had a bunch of lizards that lived in the neighborhood. Maybe this is an escapee or he let one go. He doesn't live there anymore. Apparently they make good pets if you're into that kind thing. My wife said, "Hell No!" Well, I've got it here at the fire house and I plan on going to the local pet store tomorrow and see if i can pawn it off on them. I'm trying to get a picture from my cell to the computer. i'll post it asap. FREAKIN' CRAZY!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sounds like to me you missed a great opportunity for some target practice with your LCP.... :D
Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is amazing what you find in your back yard. My parents dog was barking one day and my dad went out side and there was a Burmese python in the back yard. It is now in a zoo with a little name plate that says donated by my parents. You never know what you are going to find in the back yard.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thats neat, the greatest thing my dog ever caught was a skunk. It wasnt good! :mad:

·
Registered
705 Posts
oxfordethan said:
Got home from one job, getting a bite to eat and getting ready to go on duty at the fire station when i hear my two dachshunds (sp) barking their heads off in the backyard. I lean out the back door hollering at them to hush and they do, but as soon as i close the door they start back up. So I'm going out their to pop'em on the butt to get them to stop when I walk up on this BIG lizard they have backed up against the fence. It's hissing, flicking it's tongue and whipping it's tail at my dogs. I didn't know what to think! I guessed pretty quickly that it was not a native species so I used some "Steve Irwin" type distraction techniques and caught the dang thing. It's over a foot long and I had no idea what exactly it was. I walked to the back door, my wife has her back to the door feeding my 9 month old daughter, I just tap on the glass and she turns around and screams and immediately locks the dead bolt :eek: ;D! Anyhoos, after a little google researching I find out that i have caught a Savannah Monitor! There used to be a guy that had a bunch of lizards that lived in the neighborhood. Maybe this is an escapee or he let one go. He doesn't live there anymore. Apparently they make good pets if you're into that kind thing. My wife said, "Hell No!" Well, I've got it here at the fire house and I plan on going to the local pet store tomorrow and see if i can pawn it off on them. I'm trying to get a picture from my cell to the computer. i'll post it asap. FREAKIN' CRAZY!
Yeah I wanna see pics please :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
oxfordethan said:
here's a pic from the cell phone
COOL!!!!!!! Guess it doesnt bite.:) It looks healthy. I had a Gheko for a while. Well actually got it for my room mate. She wouldnt feed it the live stuff.They are hard to care for. Heat lamp,hot rocks, House to hide in, and Meal worms and Crickets that get loose :) I finally gave the whole shabang to a pet store. Thanks for the pic. I like it :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
OK, he's kind of cute, I retrack my target practice statement :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sadly, when I found one of these it was stuck in my pool vaccum (robot dude that zips around the bottom) - apparently it got in my pool and drowned and when the vac clicked on at 10am, it sucked it up and when I noticed it was not working properly, I pulled it up and found out why. Poor thing.

I also found a huge bullfrog drowning in my skimmer - dead - and just recently a little gardner snake barely clinging onto life in my skimmer (it acts as a whirlpool against the basket). I let the snake go down the street, but it was too late for the lizard and frog. :'(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts