Ruger Pistol Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Very well thought out testing, didn't change my mind about carrying Speer Gold Dots. I was surprised by the consistant core/jacket separation of the Golden Sabers! Thx for sharing this valuable info!

Thanks. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have used a different back stop in the first test to prevent flattening/damage to the expanded bullets. Maybe in the future......

As far as the Golden Saber, Rem has since come out with a GS bonded line to prevent the jacket separation but I don't think it's available in a .380.
But, the bonded Golden Sabers don't expand with the same wildly "Saber" razor blade on steroids effect of the original which in my mind defeats the whole intent of the name. That is probably a good thing as it would lend to greater penetration, though the expanded bonded sabers look just like what you'd expect to see with a Gold Dot or Winchester PDX1 or any other bonded round. But, it is still a formidable round to be sure and bonded or not, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one.

Buckeye Fan said:
Thanks. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have used a different back stop in the first test to prevent flattening/damage to the expanded bullets. Maybe in the future......

As far as the Golden Saber, Rem has since come out with a GS bonded line to prevent the jacket separation but I don't think it's available in a .380.
But, the bonded Golden Sabers don't expand with the same wildly "Saber" razor blade on steroids effect of the original which in my mind defeats the whole intent of the name. That is probably a good thing as it would lend to greater penetration, though the expanded bonded sabers look just like what you'd expect to see with a Gold Dot or Winchester PDX1 or any other bonded round. But, it is still a formidable round to be sure and bonded or not, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one.
Buckeye, have you ever tested the Winchester Ranger T-Series? I have heard it is the Law Enforcement version of the Winchester PDX1, do you know if they are the same? Yogi ???

Yogi 117 said:
Buckeye, have you ever tested the Winchester Ranger T-Series? I have heard it is the Law Enforcement version of the Winchester PDX1, do you know if they are the same? Yogi ???
Nope, never tested it and no they are not the same. The T-series is basically the original Talon design that started all the "cop killer" hollow point nonsense several years back. The T Series is the law enforcement non bonded round with the wicked "talon" claws that open up on expansion. The PDX1 stuff is all the new bonded line up. The new law enforcement equivalent of the PDX1 is simply called the" Ranger Bonded." The PDX1 and the Ranger Bonded are the same ammo just in different packaging as in the PDX1 is civilian retail packaging in 20 rounds boxes and the Ranger Bonded is in the yellow LEO 50 round box. The bonded round doesn't have the wicked talons like the T series but it is supposed to be more reliable for expansion and penetration. The FBI is now using it in their .40 service weapons so it must be good stuff.

Yogi 117 said:
Thx Buckeye, it's the Ranger series that is the same as the PDX1. Good to know. Thx again for the response. Yogi ;D
Just to be clear....it's all Winchester Ranger, but it's the Bonded series and PDX1 that are the same thing.

Gotcha! I am not familiar with the Ranger series, but it sounds like the "Bonded" would be good in my Elsie, since it likes the PDX1! Thx again. Yogi ;D

Yogi 117 said:
Gotcha! I am not familiar with the Ranger series, but it sounds like the "Bonded" would be good in my Elsie, since it likes the PDX1! Thx again. Yogi ;D
Yep, PDX1/Ranger Bonded...its the same thing but I don't know if they make the.380 Bonded series in the 50 round box or not so you may have to pay more for the PDX1 for the fancy package and only 20 rds per box. You can get Gold Dots in .380 in a 50 round box so that may be a cheaper option.

Buckeye Fan said:
Yogi 117 said:
Yep, PDX1/Ranger Bonded...its the same thing but I don't know if they make the.380 Bonded series in the 50 round box or not so you may have to pay more for the PDX1 for the fancy package and only 20 rds per box. You can get Gold Dots in .380 in a 50 round box so that may be a cheaper option.
Buckeye, I saw the Ranger Bonded awhile back at SGAMMO.com, 50 round LE box, but I didn't get any because I wasn't aware it was identical to the PDX1 at the time. But now I know, and won't be afraid to pull the trigger! The Ranger Bonded or Gold Dot LE 50 round box is definately the way to go cost wise. Thx again for your input, appreciated very much. Yogi ;D

Got my Ranger LE from the same place as you and a decent price for it. I'm totally satisfied with it so far.
use to use Hornady Critcal Defense. I think the Ranger is better and cheaper, JMHO.
Tony

computerdynamics said:
Got my Ranger LE from the same place as you and a decent price for it. I'm totally satisfied with it so far.
use to use Hornady Critcal Defense. I think the Ranger is better and cheaper, JMHO.
Tony
Thx for the input. I will not hesitate to buy next time I see it. Yogi ;D

Thank you for all the information. I was very impressed to see the amount of time and detail devoted to the topic. Again thanks. BA

Thank you for the post, I really enjoyed the read.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.