Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought LCP ii 22 today and have had multiple fail to feed. So far about 10 fail to feed with Federal target ammo in 100 rounds, then about that many plus 3 fail to fire with Armscor 100 rounds. Started to get dark but did 40 rounds of Eley. Better, one fail to feed on last round in magazine.
Do i need to go ahead and take it back to get it checked out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Had the same problem with mine with numerous ammo, especially the Federals. The last two session of shooting, I found the Remington Goldens to run the best. Definitely the preferred ammo for this gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Didnt have golden bullet but Aguila Superextra ran 2 mags with no feed issue, so did Federal high velocity.
The Eley Club had one failure in 40 rounds
The CCI AR Tactical had one in 40 rounds
Remington Thunderbolts had 6 in 20
Remington Viper had 6 in 20
Federal Target bulk pack had 12 in 60
Armscor had 5 in 30 with 3 light strikes

When i can find your suggested rounds I will give them a try.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My LCPII22LR has been running good still after 1,550 rounds. Very few if any issues. I put a Hogue's Beavertail grip on mine.
Ammo is not on the shelves as much these days. These are what I have used with good results. Check your GRIP and tune your GRIP. Keep at it and good luck.
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP
Both of ours cycle the above ammo with out issue. I take a lot of heat from people because I report no issues. I have NO issues to report. They both shoot for us. I really hope you can get some ammo and keep training. Good luck and enjoy. If you are in Ohio contact me.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The little weapons should shoot most if not all 22LR ammo. If rclark28 owns a couple of them that run flawlessly then they all should. Send them back to Ruger as many times it takes to get it right. My opinion. Den

Reactions: THAZ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lol, I am not sending back the gun to Ruger because one person has one that runs flawless on any ammo. Even the manual say's to use high velocity ammo. I never once thought before purchase that it would eat any ammo made flawlessly, especially 22.cal. I would not even make such a ridiculous call to Ruger. Could very well be something as simple as a recoil spring modification. I knew what I was getting into when I bought a new 22.cal fresh on the market. I am not that impatient and have been around guns long enough to sort things out first before just making phone calls and sending a gun back. When you get one, do as you wish. But you might actually get one first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for feedback.. i do have a problem dropping my wrist on my 38, but not here, well?, I don't think i do. Anyway, just for the heck of it I put 50 rounds of Gemco subsonics (1050 f/s) and only had one failure. Anyway it seems to be a mix of brand and velocity, just not clear cut

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think it is most likely the recoil spring.Normally I rack a slide before shooting and let the recoil spring take a set for 48 hrs. They seem to get better with other ammo with progressive amount of ammo fired through it. Kind of a strange gun. All one hand you have a light racking, but on the other hand it seems to have a heavy recoil spring. I have a Bersa that was a nightmare for feeding. I corrected most of the problems by cutting the recoil spring back. Now it eats most standard ammo as opposed to just high Velocity. I have not tried the new after market spring as of yet. That might be a solution. Right now it is shooting Remington Goldens just fine and I have thousands of them in stock, so not that big of a deal.
As I said, I much prefer the LCR22 which is about as flawless a 22.cal as I have ever seen. And a lot better trigger and IMO much more fun to shoot.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just bought LCP ii 22 today and have had multiple fail to feed. So far about 10 fail to feed with Federal target ammo in 100 rounds, then about that many plus 3 fail to fire with Armscor 100 rounds. Started to get dark but did 40 rounds of Eley. Better, one fail to feed on last round in magazine.
Always Clean & Lube before use ! Then break in with a box of 40 grain copper plated round nose. Then Clean and lube then try the CCI Velocitor Copper Plated Hollow Point .I purchased a Ruger LCP II .22LR Lite Rack Pistol since they hit the shelfs and in over 1000 rounds of testing not one pistol malfunction I was trying to find the most accurate , most reliable 40 Grain .22 LR Bullet .I have found the CCI Velocitor .22 LR copper plated hollow point to be the Fastest at 1435 FPS, It's the most reliable , most accurate 40 grain .22 LR ammo on the market. I have even taken Large & Medium game with it killing several Feral Hogs & Coyotes with it , taking one Hog with a single shot from a Ruger 10/ 22 Rifle at 60 yards over bait killing a Boar 585 Pounds with a single shot just below his ear. I have taken Coyotes out to 100 yard.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My LCPII22LR has been running good still after 1,550 rounds. Very few if any issues. I put a Hogue's Beavertail grip on mine.
Ammo is not on the shelves as much these days. These are what I have used with good results. Check your GRIP and tune your GRIP. Keep at it and good luck.
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP
Both of ours cycle the above ammo with out issue. I take a lot of heat from people because I report no issues. I have NO issues to report. They both shoot for us. I really hope you can get some ammo and keep training. Good luck and enjoy. If you are in Ohio contact me.
I have the Hogue Beaver Tail Grip also its an awesome addition to the Ruger LCP II Lite rack .22 LR Pistol .

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought brand new LCP ii in 12/2020. Had many failures to feed in first 100 rounds with Remington, Aguila, and Federal ammos. Then I recalled reading of a WWI ace who test chambered each round to solve his machine gun failures. I then, removed my .22lr cylinder from my Ruger Single Six and repeatedly test fed rounds in and out until they moved smoothly in and out of the cylinder. Surprisingly, there was much variance in amount of force to initially chamber some of the rounds, but all eventually "relaxed." So far, I have fired 150 rounds of these prescreened cartridges in my LCP2-22 of Remington and Federal without a single problem! I therefore suspect that most if not all of the failure to feed problems being reported with the LCP2-22 is totally due to inconsistencies in ammunition sizing and coatings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I therefore suspect that most if not all of the failure to feed problems being reported with the LCP2-22 is totally due to inconsistencies in ammunition sizing and coatings.
The other possibility is that Ruger botched the chamber and it's too tight or too rough or both.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bought brand new LCP ii in 12/2020. Had many failures to feed in first 100 rounds with Remington, Aguila, and Federal ammos. Then I recalled reading of a WWI ace who test chambered each round to solve his machine gun failures. I then, removed my .22lr cylinder from my Ruger Single Six and repeatedly test fed rounds in and out until they moved smoothly in and out of the cylinder. Surprisingly, there was much variance in amount of force to initially chamber some of the rounds, but all eventually "relaxed." So far, I have fired 150 rounds of these prescreened cartridges in my LCP2-22 of Remington and Federal without a single problem! I therefore suspect that most if not all of the failure to feed problems being reported with the LCP2-22 is totally due to inconsistencies in ammunition sizing and coatings.
The Problem is Remington & Federal bulk pack ammo they are real crap and they have little to no QC, Thunderturds & Golden Booluts jamb in most of my semi-autos or fail to fire even in my bolt rifles.Try CCI, I have put about 2000 rounds thru it cleaning it every 100 rounds or so and I have not had one failure, in fact, I used the CCI Mini mags to break in the LCP II .22LR for the first 200 rounds or so. They are now available and in stock, at the CCI Web Site, they come in a box of 100 for $11.99 ( 36 ) Grain Copper Plated Hollow Point @ 1260 FPS . Buy Mini-Mag HP for USD 11.99 | CCI, For Defense in the LCP I recommend the CCI Velocitor 40 Grain Copper Plated Hollow Point @ 1435 FPS they come in a 50 round box for $9.99 Limit of 10 boxes. Buy Velocitor HP for USD 9.99 | CCI , I also recommend The Federal Punch Ammo it's also a good choice for the LCP it's in stock & available $10.99 for a box of 50 on the Federal website it's a 29 grain Nickel Plated flat point @ 1080 fps out of a 2" Barreled Revolver @ 21 feet these things are devastating at 50 yards they drop coyotes in their tracks from a 20" Barreled rifle it comes out at about 1650 FPS with good accuracy. Buy Personal Defense Punch Rimfire for USD 10.99 | Federal Ammunition ,With quality ammo, you will enjoy the Ruger LCP II .22. I installed the Hogue Handall Beaver Tail Grip Sleeve on mine and find it a little more comfortable in my hand. Good Luck I hope you enjoy the Ruger LCP II .22LR as much as I do.

Reactions: JaKeB

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you carry the Ruger LCP II .22 LR For defense I recommend the Following ammo be used for defense.

Product Overview
Self-defense isn't one size fits all. Punch™ 22 LR from Federal Premium® uses a first-of-its-kind nickel-plated lead-core bullet pushed at maximum velocities to achieve the deepest penetration through short-barrel handguns. So, whether you want to carry a 22 LR pistol as a backup gun, don't feel comfortable with centerfire pistols, or simply want to get more versatility from your rimfire, Punch makes the 22 LR cartridge a viable choice for the first time ever.
  • Maximum velocity for energy and penetration; 1,070 fps through 2-inch barrel handguns, 1,650 fps out of 24-inch rifle barrels
  • 29-grain nickel-plated lead-core bullet
  • Projectile profile and composition optimized for the deepest penetration through short-barrel handguns
  • Rigorous function testing ensures reliability
  • Nickel-plated case for ease of extraction and corrosion resistance
  • 50-count boxes
SPECS
Caliber22 LR
Bullet Weight29
Muzzle Velocity1080
Bullet StyleNickel Plated Flat Nose
Ballistic Coefficient.084
Package Quantity50
UsagePersonal Defense

Product Overview
Shoot flatter and hit distant small game harder with CCI® Velocitor® HP loads. They're 200 fps faster than 22 Long Rifle high-velocity loads of the same bullet weight and provide excellent weight retention, downrange energy and penetration.
  • Excellent weight retention
  • Impressive downrange energy
  • Deep penetration
  • 200 fps faster than Long Rifle High Velocity
SPECS
Caliber22 LR
Bullet Weight40
Muzzle Velocity1435
Bullet StyleCopper Plated Hollow Point
Ballistic Coefficient.125
Package Quantity50
UsageSmall Game

Product Overview

Want something that shoots flat and anchors varmints fast? Fill your mag with CCI® Stinger® 22 LR. The loads smoke out the muzzle at 1,640 fps and are loaded within industry standard pressures. They provide consistent, reliable performance thanks to CCI priming and brass.

• Hyper-velocity leader
  • Loaded within industry standard pressures
  • Anchors varmints fast
SPECS
Caliber22 LR
Bullet Weight32
Muzzle Velocity1640
Bullet StyleCopper Plated Hollow Point
Ballistic Coefficient.084
Package Quantity50
UsageHunting

Winchester @1435fps
Same as the CCI Velocitor .

Browning BPR @1435 fps
Same as the CCI Velocitor.

6. Winchester Silvertip @1060 from a 2" Barrel Revolver
Power to Defend
Trusted for decades when it matters most, Silvertip Rimfire is a worthy extension of our time-proven Silvertip brand.
Trusted when it matters most, Silvertip rimfire optimizes 22LR performance for the Power to Defend.

Features
1 .Segmenting Hollow Point Achieves devastating energy transfer by splitting into four pieces upon impact, while the bullet base still achieves deep penetration.
2. Optimized for Short Barrels Powder is tailored for common personal defense firearms to deliver the velocity required to initiate segmentation upon impact.
3 .Plated Bullet Provides corrosion resistance and reliable feeding in a variety of firearm types.
Silvertip Rimfire Features

Ammunition 1 Items
CARTRIDGE BULLET :22 Long Rifle

WEIGHT BULLET :37 Grain

TYPE ROUNDS: Segmenting Hollow Point Plated

PER BOX: 50

COEFF MUZZLE: 0.090

VELOCITY MUZZLE: 1060

ENERGY USAGE: 92

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this thread is old. I just purchased the LCP II .22LR thinking it would be a backup. CCI Velocitor: 450 Rounds fired, 42 failed to feed, which is almost 10%. It occurs with 2 different magazines and 2 different barrels. The bullet doesn't enter the chamber, either hitting the top or bottom and hanging. This seems unacceptable. The issue isn't as bad with Federal 22 LR 40 Gr RTP: 300 rounds fired, 1 failed to feed.

Ruger customer service said that some pistols are sensitive to ammo. I'm not satisfied with that answer. Velocitor is 1435 fps and RTP is 1240. Both are 40g; one is hollow point and the other is round nose, which really shouldn't make that big a difference.

I do wonder about the recoil spring. Does the higher velocity ammo need more tension in the spring?

this is my first time posting here. I wish I kept my Ruger 357. It would be almost an antique by now. Oh well.

Take care,...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Johnny Lee here is a spring you can try:

I just found it you will have to be the Ginny Pig and try it. Denny

·
Registered
276 Posts
I know this thread is old. I just purchased the LCP II .22LR thinking it would be a backup. CCI Velocitor: 450 Rounds fired, 42 failed to feed, which is almost 10%. It occurs with 2 different magazines and 2 different barrels. The bullet doesn't enter the chamber, either hitting the top or bottom and hanging. This seems unacceptable. The issue isn't as bad with Federal 22 LR 40 Gr RTP: 300 rounds fired, 1 failed to feed.

Ruger customer service said that some pistols are sensitive to ammo. I'm not satisfied with that answer. Velocitor is 1435 fps and RTP is 1240. Both are 40g; one is hollow point and the other is round nose, which really shouldn't make that big a difference.

I do wonder about the recoil spring. Does the higher velocity ammo need more tension in the spring?

this is my first time posting here. I wish I kept my Ruger 357. It would be almost an antique by now. Oh well.

Take care,...
break in with 10 boxes of 40-grain copper-plated round nose. Then the hollow points will function better, I have used the new federal punch ammo in the LCP and it functions well 1,070 FPS from a 2" barreled revolver bar keeps the 29-grain flat point hits hard penetrates deep. check it out give it a try clean & Lube the pistol after every hundred rounds . In over 1000 rounds fired only a couple failed to fire and that was Remington thunder terds bulk pack .
Font Material property Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Nickel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did a lot of research and chose Ruger LCP2 .22 because of all the reviews about how it runs flawless. well I got one for Christmas, and just tried it out. Out of 100 rounds was getting about 20% jams from several different ammo. all were failure to feed.dont know if the bore on the rear of the barrel is supposed to be centered but mine is obviously off center to the right. heard great things about Ruger customer service and definitely calling tomorrow. A jam every 3-4 shots is not acceptable. Im sure they will make it right

1 - 20 of 24 Posts