Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cranky old man. Have to wonder, but when it comes to instructions, like, looking up a process or repair on the web? There are an overwhelming surfeit of DIY videos. What I like? Instructions. Typed out. Printed. Well, maybe not printed, but available as text block.

So I like this forum, might’ve influenced my LCP II purchase. Really love this weapon, like a lot.

Stupid new user question, what is the preferred lube and cleaning solutions for the gun?

I wouldn’t ask, but I didn’t find any other threads...

·
Registered
60 Posts
1) I like a toothbrush inside to clean off residue particles on the lower, slide, and magazine as per Hickock45.
2) followed by Birchwood Casey Lead Remover & Polishing cloth inside lower and on bottom slide.
3) Bore snake to clear away residue from barrel
4) followed by Hoppes No. 9 patches until patches are clear. Occasionally, copper solvent when it builds up.
5) Overall wipe everywhere (lower, slide wipe and clean guide rod/springs with Hoppes until patches are clear).

Lube: top of chassis rails, slide rails, where slide and barrel contact and move, barrel hole, guide rail hole, and barrel slide hole, with light synthetic grease just a tiny touch will do. Make sure to lube bottom barrel lugs where barrel lugs slide over pin for breech lock.
Lube: (Guide Rod & springs with Rem Oil - only place for oil).

I clean and lube every time I shoot (usually around 200 rounds at a time) and even with good ammo it does get dirty.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
The best cleaning solution and best oil is Breakthrough Clean. The military, SWAT, Snippers uses their product to clean and lube.

Reactions: kramerw

·
Registered
5 Posts
The first time I field-stripped the new LCP II, I had Hoppes bore cleaner solution, Hoppes gun oil, and shredded t-shirts to use as bore snakes. Looks like I bought a gun cleaning kit.

I scheduled an hour and I was pulling it back together in less than 15 minutes. Another reason to like the weapon. A typical range day for me will include at least two boxes of shells through the little cute pistol.

So next stupid new user question, how often should I field strip and clean the weapon? Every range trip? Every 500 rounds? Once a year?

According to the above, I would be safe if I did it every range trip.

Remember: auto-correct is the enema.

·
Registered
205 Posts
More damage is typically done to firearms by cleaning than shooting. But, my carry guns they are cleaned anytime I shoot them and ops checked every time I put it on. I don't "assume" it is still OK.

Reactions: louchia

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only parts I oil is occasionally the moving trigger parts of handguns. Everything else gets light grease (Superlube).
I clean with either Hoppes Elite Cleaner or Ballistol and oil the barrel bore with either Slip 2000 EWL or Lucas Extreme.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
I still use good ole Hoppe’s No. 9 to clean my guns after all these years simply because it works. Bore snakes are great for quick cleaning after each range session of two boxes. But I would also use a bronze bore brush and cotton patches to really clean the barrel at every 300-500 rounds.

You also want to have one of those “gun cleaning tooth brushes” handy - not a regular tooth brush but a gun cleaning nylon brush that looks like a tooth brush to clean the frame and slide. I also use Blue Shop Towel whenever I clean my guns.

For the “best” gun lube, every gun owner/shooter has his own “best lube” to recommend, which basically means any oil marketed as “gun oil” or “gun lube” would do fine. My current “best gun lube” is Wilson Combat’s Universal gun lube. But BreakFree CLP that you can find at your local sporting good store or Wally Wold will do very well.

No need to overthink and overclean your gun. And just don’t overlube your little LCP as it can attract dust, lint and whatever small particles to gunk up.

Other than regular cleaning, it is also a good idea to replace the recoil spring set of your LCP at every 500 rounds or so to keep your little gun reliable. Recoil spring in larger guns can last much more rounds. But recoil springs in pocket pistols like the LCP take a lot of beating. They are really inexpensive anyways. Buy a few sets from Ruger and keep them handy in your range bag.

Enjoy your LCPII!

·
Registered
373 Posts
For oil i just refill a little oiler thingy that i bought once with official store bought gun oil with the same Mobil 1 synthetic oil i use in my vehicles.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Why Mobil One rather than any other synthetic oil ?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I use Breakfree CLP. Bought a pint bottle a couple yrs back and still have not used all of it. I shoot and clean 2-3 gun once a week. Clean and lube with one product. It's really not much more costly, Not even as much as a box of ammo.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Why Mobil One rather than any other synthetic oil ?
I've been using it for many years. It's great. When you use it in your lcp you only have to change the oil every 25,000 miles or shots, whichever comes first. OK i made that part up, but it is great in engines and the guns are still working good too!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I see Mobil One mentioned a lot . I was just wondering how it got it's rep vs other motor oils . Hey , if the shoe fits....

·
Registered
373 Posts
I see Mobil One mentioned a lot . I was just wondering how it got it's rep vs other motor oils . Hey , if the shoe fits....
R u talking about mobil 1 in engines or as a gun lube? As a gun lube u use so very little - or you should! - that i don't think it makes much difference, other than pouring a little bit of synthetic engine oil into a little gun lube applicator with a tiny nozzle essentially costs nothing.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
As a gun lube . I see it mentioned a lot . I like Ballistol . I can get it on my hands and not worry about it . When I was young , things like that did not bother me . Then a friend of mine who was a grease monkey died of leukemia . I used to clean carburetors in gas and wash my hands in turpentine after painting . I now wear gloves . Mobil One is probably a great lube . I just don't want to touch it a lot .

Reactions: Whiskeyshooter

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Been using CLP and MPro-7 for years now. A little goes a long way.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
As a gun lube . I see it mentioned a lot . I like Ballistol . I can get it on my hands and not worry about it . When I was young , things like that did not bother me . Then a friend of mine who was a grease monkey died of leukemia . I used to clean carburetors in gas and wash my hands in turpentine after painting . I know wear gloves . Mobil One is probably a great lube . I just don't want to touch it a lot .

I don't touch it.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I wear gloves but still check out the safety data sheets for every product I use. Of the three I remember, Hoppes #9 was the worst and Ballistol was the safest. Mobile 1 was fine, they said just wash your hands. If I remember correctly they wanted you to use a respirator and wash your hands for 15 min. after using Hoppes #9. Den

·
Registered
373 Posts
I wear gloves but still check out the safety data sheets for every product I use. Of the three I remember, Hoppes #9 was the worst and Ballistol was the safest. Mobile 1 was fine, they said just wash your hands. If I remember correctly they wanted you to use a respirator and wash your hands for 15 min. after using Hoppes #9. Den

Wow! I might have some old unused containers of that stuff lying around. I'll look and throw it out if I do.

Did you ever read the instructions for those wiggly light bulbs that they were selling all over the place for years, what to do it it breaks? They practically want you to abandon your house and move far away! Seriously I read that if you break one of them you should throw away your entire rug!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Yes, those CFL bulbs that the gov't essentially mandated some years ago are being phased out in favor of LEDs. The instructions for what to do if a CFL breaks read like an HAZMAT manual. As far as Hoppes #9 goes, was unaware of all the associated hazards. All I can say, is I guess I've shortened my life by at least 5 min.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts