Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear about the best values in gun belts. What are people using, about how much do they cost, where are the best bargains found?

I've heard some discussion about "riggers" belts, and I'm also interested in leather belts. This would be for an IWB holster for a Sig P6 or an FEG SMC-380 (PPK-size gun.)

Cheaper Than Dirt has some at what appear to be good prices, anyone know anything about the "Triple K" belts they offer?

Money is a BIG factor, meaning I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I also can't afford to spend any money on something that won't do the job.

Thanks,
Scott in Penfield NY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
80sDweeb said:
I'd like to hear about the best values in gun belts. What are people using, about how much do they cost, where are the best bargains found?

I've heard some discussion about "riggers" belts, and I'm also interested in leather belts. This would be for an IWB holster for a Sig P6 or an FEG SMC-380 (PPK-size gun.)

Cheaper Than Dirt has some at what appear to be good prices, anyone know anything about the "Triple K" belts they offer?

Money is a BIG factor, meaning I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I also can't afford to spend any money on something that won't do the job.

Thanks,
Scott in Penfield NY
Wilderness Tactical makes a fine fabric belt that I wear when I dress casual, it's called a Frequent Flyer. it's a 1½" 5 stitch and it carries all that I hang onto it without one bit of sag.
When dressing for work, suit & tie, I wear a 1½ Beltman Horsehide, it's stiffer than a honeymoon erection, but very comfortable.
The wilderness is about ½ the price of a Beltman. Both belts will give you years of wear without failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Looper leather with kydex insert. Stiffer than most well made all leathers without the thickness usually encountered. Great support for almost anysize handgun.

Price is right at under $40. Was better even still when they were under $30.;D Best bargain around.

At that price you can get one in black and one in brown and cover all the bases for less than most people pay for one belt.

I've got two belts (black and brown) - both 1 1/4" size. Looks much better with most pants than a 1 1/2" belt. I wear them with dress slacks and so far they still look good enough for dress wear.

http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/looper-reinforced-holster-belt.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
As I routinely wear a rigger's belt (true rigger's belt built to hold your own body weight with para-rated buckles and a safety/extraction loop), I can comment on that.

It is much better than a flimsy accessory-style belt, but it's only a marginal substitute for a gun belt made of leather. After a month or two of wear the rigger's belt breaks in and isn't stiff as hell, so in order to prevent your holster from bouncing you have to tighten the belt to where it's not comfortable. Not an issue in a drop leg holster due to the additional points of attachment and the holster being designed to move with your body.

Go with a leather gun belt... you'll be more happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
ragu1macrider said:
80sDweeb said:
I'd like to hear about the best values in gun belts. What are people using, about how much do they cost, where are the best bargains found?

I've heard some discussion about "riggers" belts, and I'm also interested in leather belts. This would be for an IWB holster for a Sig P6 or an FEG SMC-380 (PPK-size gun.)

Cheaper Than Dirt has some at what appear to be good prices, anyone know anything about the "Triple K" belts they offer?

Money is a BIG factor, meaning I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I also can't afford to spend any money on something that won't do the job.

Thanks,
Scott in Penfield NY
it's stiffer than a honeymoon erection
;D thats funny right there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
+1 for Looper. I ordered two of these: one brown and one black, 7-holes, Kydex inner liner, Velcro next to the pants. Two belts shipped for under $100. I would call them to place an order. The seven hole are 3/4 inch apart and allow you a finer adjustment. The standard five hole models come one inch apart.

I've worn my brown belt almost everyday for about a year now and it's holding up very well. I have to touch it up with dye and polish about every two months where the metal clips on my holsters hit it. Not a biggie. I polish my shoes while I'm at it, lol.

http://www.looperleather.com/KydexBelt.html

Dan in ABQ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, folks. I like the looks of the Looper belts, the kydex inside sounds like a great idea. Seems like a lot of money to me, but like I said, if a cheaper solution doesn't do the job, it would be wasted money.

I'm still waiting for my NY permit application to creep and crawl it's deliberate way through the state government (and the FBI, etc.), but I can tell I'm going to have to modify the way I dress quite a bit once I start carrying. More layers and more-sturdy fabrics, for example, vs. my current thin t-shirt and very-worn jeans.

Scott in Penfield NY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
If you live near an Amish community find their harness shop. They will make you a belt anyway you want, your buckle or theirs. I have used them for years for work belts. They can make them as wide or thick as you want, for cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses, this will be a big help for me. I appreciate being able to learn from your experience so I hopefully don't end up trying the "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" route, or end up with a drawer full of belts I'm not happy with.

I'm particularly interested in the Looper Kydex insert belt, seems like a great way to have a stiff, strong belt without the thickness. Their wholesale website says it's lifetime guaranteed not to warp.

I expect 1-1/4" would be fine for IWB carry of a Sig P6 (225) in a Comp-Tac holster, does that sound about right? I assume OWB carry raises the need for a big, stiff belt, correct?

Scott in Penfield NY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
A 1 1/4" Galco belt has done a pretty good job holding up a 1911 in an IWB with two widespread attachment clips so far. Except here lately when there's too much of me inside my waistband for both me and the Taurus to fit... :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
I have got to chime in here because no one has mentioned the obvious(at least to me) choice.
Galco. They make some of the finest leather stuff around including belts. I'm going with DP on this one, leather is the way to go. I have been wearing the same Galco 1 1/4 belt daily for about 8 years now and it's still looks good. Costs about $100, but even if I threw it away today it would work out to a little over 3 cents a day for a super nice belt, I'm happy with that. A lot of people pay close to $100 for a pair of sneakers that last maybe 6 months. I also like the saddle shop idea but I bet you'll still be in that $100 range.

edit: took me to long to type, merlinspop beat me to it. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
80sDweeb said:
I'm particularly interested in the Looper Kydex insert belt, seems like a great way to have a stiff, strong belt without the thickness. .................

I expect 1-1/4" would be fine for IWB carry of a Sig P6 (225) in a Comp-Tac holster, does that sound about right? I assume OWB carry raises the need for a big, stiff belt, correct?

Scott in Penfield NY
Not to be arguementative with the others - just my 2cents worth again. IMO 1 1/4" is enough width for either IWB or OWB unless you are packing a very heavy gun. I know it looks less obviously a gunbelt with dress slacks than 1 1/2" or larger.

The kydex inserted belts are actually much stiffer than the Galco belts I've seen at the gun stores. Stiffer and cheaper is a good thing as long as they hold up - and they seem to hold up OK.

There are a few belts that I've examined that are as stiff as mine and even stiffer. But they always have extra thickness to them (bullhide, double leather etc.) to accomplish this. Extra thinckness will cost you money. Also, I've seen that some holster slots and pant belt slots need to be a little bigger space than the 1 1/4" many of mine have just to flex enough to accomodate the double thickness upon insertion. Tight holster slots will cause belt wear sooner than having a little extra room to insert the belt.

Again, there is a big difference between $100 each and $40 each, particularly when you will probably want one of each color IMO.

I've found that many of my dress pants will not take an 1 1/2" belt or a double thickness 1 1/4" belt.

I like quality also. And I know that often you "get what you pay for". But my belt is holding up very well. I haven't even had to put polish on it yet. If you wear it more than I do and if you have very tight slots on your holster to insert it in, you will probably show wear sooner than mine. I couldn't say.

But I'm sure that if money isn't really an object for you there are many better belts than mine out there to choose from.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Snubbie K said:
80sDweeb said:
I'm particularly interested in the Looper Kydex insert belt, seems like a great way to have a stiff, strong belt without the thickness. .................

I expect 1-1/4" would be fine for IWB carry of a Sig P6 (225) in a Comp-Tac holster, does that sound about right? I assume OWB carry raises the need for a big, stiff belt, correct?

Scott in Penfield NY
Not to be arguementative with the others - just my 2cents worth again. IMO 1 1/4" is enough width for either IWB or OWB unless you are packing a very heavy gun. I know it looks less obviously a gunbelt with dress slacks than 1 1/2" or larger.


Good luck!
This is my 2¢ worth.
If your only going to carry a sub or a compact a 1¼ belt would be fine. Hang a heavyweight on it and it won't be as comfortable. A1½" belt will be the better all around choice, IMHO. So why would you want to limit yourself?

As I answered the statement of "it looks like a gun belt with dress slacks" on another forum....
The only way a person would notice what kind of belt your wearing is if you would hang a pork chop on your buckle.

Goodnite Mrs. Kalabash...where ever you are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
If I had an 1 1/2" belt, I'd have to trade in a great many of the dress slacks I own.

You're right though!

The wider the belt, the better the support.

Also, the stiffer the belt for the width considered, the better the support.

I seems that virtually everything concerned with concealed carry is a compromise of sort.

Each guy reaches the best level of compromise based on his particular lifestyle and has to live with the consequenses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I wear a 1.5" beltman horsehide natural color. It provides great support for my OWB holster carrying a Sig P229. I can't speak to the other choices stated here, but I am very pleased with the beltman product.

I had a Galco belt, gave it to my son, and in a few months it was worn out.

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for. With the beltman you do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Rodentman said:
I wear a 1.5" beltman horsehide natural color. It provides great support for my OWB holster carrying a Sig P229. I can't speak to the other choices stated here, but I am very pleased with the beltman product.

I had a Galco belt, gave it to my son, and in a few months it was worn out.

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for. With the beltman you do.
Funny how people have different experiences with the same products. Maybe galco changed something, maybe they have different belts at different price points (I know they do with holsters), who knows. I cannot think of any way I could possibly wear my galco out in a few months. I've snapped a phone on and off it daily and carried guns and hammers more than occasionally, for 8 years. I work outside everyday so it's no stranger to rain,snow,sweat,sun, all the leather killers. It still looks good enough to wear to church. Good thing I like it because it looks like it will be around for a few more years. In my experience when I feel I didn't get what I paid for I usually realize I probably didn't pay enough to get what I really wanted. In the case of the galco belt I payed plenty, and really, really like it.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top