Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Jenia here.

I never thought I would own a handgun until I moved into a home in a not so white picket neighborhood. Anywho I just purchased a Ruger SR9c and as I don't know much about the subject, does anyone have suggestions on a low tomedium priced round that is good for use at a shooting range?

· Registered
5,304 Posts
I reload now, but before I did my own loading I used a lot of PMC Bronze and Blazer Brass. Both were available locally and were affordable. I generally carry a hollow point round, something like Hornady Critical Defense. There are lots of threads on ammo choices that you can find in the subforums also.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Hey Jenia, welcome to the forum from Idaho. I have your same weapon and she likes Winchester white box 100 rounds, and the Federal 100 round value pack. Both cost $20 around here. Den

· Registered
3,386 Posts
For range ammo, I just get whats local and inexpensive, then if it shoots good I go with it. Blazer Brass seems to be good in my area, use to be Federal at Walmart but it seems they never have and 9mm ammo anymore. I am sure when they finally do, it will cost more.

· Premium Member
3,894 Posts
For practice with my 9mm pistols (Glock 19, 26 and Beretta 92FS), I typically shoot Winchester "White Box" ammo and then I finish the session with my reloads that I have carefully developed emulate the carry ammo that I use (which is Cor-Bon 115gr JHP +P ammo).

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Welcome from Missouri. Glad to have you.

For practice with my 9mm pistols, I primarily use the Federal 115gr 100 pack.

· Registered
675 Posts
At this point, it's whatever you can find and afford. I've had good luck with Federal Champion and Blazer (even the aluminum case Blazer). Looks like ammo might be hard to come by for a while, unless you're willing to pay a premium price for it. Oh, almost forgot, I've also shot a lot of Speer Lawman (CCI makes Speer and Blazer Ammo), and I've had good luck with Sellier & Bellot (S&B), as well. Hope this helps.

· Registered
218 Posts
I would stay away from the cheap russian ammo called Tula. But that is just my opinion. I like to use American made ammo and support our economy instead of somebody elses, but again, that's me.

· Registered
62 Posts
Jenia,

I've put the Federals, UMC's, and RWS ammo through my 9c w/o a hitch. Per my query to Ruger, however, they strongly advised NOT to use "+P" labeled ammuntion on a regular basis in the 9c as it will prematurely wearout the pistol's components. I will get misfeeds (usually 'stovepipes'), ONLY IF, when loading the clip/magazine, I don't make sure that each round is well seated into the back of the clip. I use a magazine loader and when releasing the loader's trigger so as to depress the next round, it tends to pull the just loaded round forward in the clip. I have to remember to keep my finger on the loaded round as I release the loader's trigger to keep it seated properly in the back of the clip. Other than that, the 9c's a really nice choice.

· Registered
3 Posts
I generally use American Eagle 115 gr or 124 gr FMJ for range use. I've found i like Aguilla and Sellior and Bellott also. Nothing cheap around right now, so glad I havea decent stash.
For defensive rounds, I use Speer 124gr Gold dot

TJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.